Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2017, 07:39 AM   #15

I should have started this thread a month ago. Great advice and good points made and taken.

1) Why a diesel pusher? Yes that was advice from a friend who knows me and said I would like the HP and torque and they were quite to drive compared to a front engine gas.

2) Why a class c? And if I said class c gas I misspoke and was looking for a class c diesel. The wife feels it would be easier for her to help drive and she thinks the Class A intimidates her. She also basis her thinking that most Class C's support more sleeping arrangements. She is planning on the grandkids and I guess our son taking it on his vacations.

3) To me the Class A DP seems more what I would want but as someone mentioned there is a war dept. in every home.

4) Main thing is I am listening to the advice I am getting and not gonna let myself get caught up in a quick decision just to have it over with.

Thanks guys for all the chiming in and advice. It is very helpful.
The Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2017, 09:02 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Looked at any super C's??

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:22 AM   #17

We came up through the ranks with tents, pop ups and tt's before getting into motorhomes. We rented a class A and bought our first class A a couple of years later. We loved the huge windshield and the views when traveling. Looked at various class C's and just did not like the cab overhang. Felt like we missed a lot of the view. We started with 2 class A gassers and are now in a 40' dp. Ride is much better, quieter, roomier, etc. Probably ever going back. That being said, maintenance is more expensive in the dp and the new gassers have an improved ride, so never is a probability, not an absolute.

You can always overthink something and second guess yourself into the ground. The suggestion to drive at least one of each and then rent to see what appeals to you the most. Then go ahead and take the dive.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:28 AM   #18

You stated children and grandchildren children may take a trip with you. Take a tape measure with you when you shop, in our class a the only bed big enough for adults to sleep in is in the bedroom. Our sons (5) and grand sons (3) cannot stretch out to use sofa bed or the dinette sleep area all too short. Our daughter's in law are also not able to be comfortable sleeping in these beds. If you have slides make sure you can get to refer for drinks, lunch etc when they are in toilet as well, can you lay down for a quick nap with the slides in. We have a 33ft class A gasser, very happy except for bed setup, still trying to figure out a solution without loosing trade in or sale value.
MikeMerru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:38 AM   #19

How frustrating can it be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by znt1186 View Post
We loved the huge windshield and the views when traveling. Looked at various class C's and just did not like the cab overhang. Felt like we missed a lot of the view.

So true! One of our weekend getaways is along the coast here in CA. Every time we drive it we love the view from the front cab area. You won't get that with the C.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:07 AM   #20

We have had everything from tents, to boat camping, Campers , Class C and now a Class A. We spent about two years looking for and researching before we bought this one. First I would not recommend that you limit yourself to a Diesel pusher, we bought gas for a lot of reasons and thoroughly enjoy it. Yes the Class C will generally sleep more, but the Class A is much more comfortable and has for the most part has better amenities. The best thing you can do is look at and drive all that you can, take your time and do your research. And then you will know what best fits your needs and your budget. Good luck, and remember looking for one is half the fun.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:36 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
Might of already done some "legwork" for you.
Started with the Winnebago View - too small.
Really like the Jayco Seneca
Will probably buy the Winnebago Forza 38W
gfmii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:55 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
1, As
2, because Cs are more geared to families
3, NONE! RVs are horrible depreciating assets.
4, neither if this is a first RV. You need to give serious thought as to how your going to use it, your needs, how often your going to use it, and last, but not least how much money your willing to toss away if you discover this is not a life style for you.
I agree with Don! As for how you use it? Are you retired and going to take long trips? If yes Class A because diesel, ride and easy to set up. Taking a bunch of family? Maybe back to class C, more sleeping areas. Short trips? Class C, cheaper. I chose Class A. Retired, leave for 6-8 months at a time. Ride is great, climbs well, descends even better (jake brake). Lots to think about but as Don said, consider what you are going to use it for. Have fun.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:11 PM   #23

I think the wife really likes the Jayco Seneca Super C. I think she likes the sleeping arrangements. I think I like the Class A but I do flip back and forth. I know she is intimidated about the Class A and is afraid she cant drive. Believe it or not, I hate to drive and she likes too.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:16 PM   #24

Google 'RV Driving School' for an instructor near you and they'll gently show her how to enjoy driving a motorhome. Many, many women drive. A sturdy diesel will be more comfortable in handling than a bigger Class C.

She seems to be concentrating on a bunch of others staying in the RV. Any RV is not meant for groups. Bring a tent along and the extras would enjoy their own space... and you will, too. Many parks have little cabin rentals in the RV area. Let them have their own space and grandma can cook for them, if she wants. I wouldn't recommend choosing the RV for others. They're not going with you every time you are..... are they? Choose what is good for YOU!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Google 'RV Driving School' for an instructor near you and they'll gently show her how to enjoy driving a motorhome. Many, many women drive. A sturdy diesel will be more comfortable in handling than a bigger Class C.

She seems to be concentrating on a bunch of others staying in the RV. Any RV is not meant for groups. Bring a tent along and the extras would enjoy their own space... and you will, too. Many parks have little cabin rentals in the RV area. Let them have their own space and grandma can cook for them, if she wants. I wouldn't recommend choosing the RV for others. They're not going with you every time you are..... are they? Choose what is good for YOU!
Well said my friend... I think she thinks the grandkids are going with us every trip... Plain straight talk you posted... I like it bud..
Old 03-11-2017, 07:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountieman View Post
Well said my friend... I think she thinks the grandkids are going with us every trip... Plain straight talk you posted... I like it bud..
My wife also wanted room for the kids to come along. We found a floor plan that worked for that and for just the 2 of us and the dogs. Our coach will sleep 6 but it has a jack knife sofa and a sleeper sofa with queen bed. I also recall a Newmar model that had bunks that would convert to a closet. We did also talk about the possibility of just getting an air mattress that could go in the open space on the floor for some of the coaches we looked at.

Anyhow yes, make sure the coach is a good fit for the time it's just the 2 of you and then you just need something that can be made to work not something that is perfect for having the kids along.

Tom
Old 03-11-2017, 08:18 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountieman View Post
...Questions:

1) Which one rides the best?
2)Why do Class C's seem to have more sleeping capacity?
3) Which one seems to have better resale value?
4)Which one should we buy without the typical pick a floor plan you like and go with it?

We need your opinions and realize thats what they are so please fire away. Please...
Let me start by saying I am as pro-diesel as anyone, I have a diesel F250 pickup and probably close to a dozen pieces of equipment with diesel engines, when I started motorhome shopping my first thought was diesel also, however in the end I bought a 28 ft gasoline powered Class A with an 8.1 Chevy Vortec engine.

I too am going to try to avoid answering your questions, because they are the wrong questions to ask, sure a big diesel pusher rides the best, but it is also the type that is most likely to be driven the least, most owners of big class A's also pull a TOAD around giving one a combined length similar to a typical 18 wheeler, and travel from base camp location to base camp then use the TOAD to explore, often parking in the same spot for weeks or months at a time. This style of travel is fine, particularly if you are retired and have lots of free time, but is it what you want to do?

By contrast if you plan to move from place to place often smaller is generally better,sure it may not ride as smoothly, and you may have more engine noise with the engine up front, but they are often more maneuverable, parking is less of an issue, you can also access many state and federal camp ground which have max size restrictions that keep all but the shortest diesel pushers out.

You also ask about which is easier to drive, I would tend to say neither, although Class C's may give a false sense of security feeling more like a typical van due to the cab and seating position it becomes very easy to forget how tall and wide you are, with a class A you are sitting up higher, and farther outboard, so are more aware of height and the box behind you is the same width as the cab so you are less likely to think you will fit some place you will not. Sure it takes some getting used to, but after the first 500 or 1,000 miles it starts to seem natural. Remember most modern class C's and Class A's are very near the same maximum width and height (a tall class C will be around the height of a shorter class A and width of the box is often nearly the same on the longer class C's)

So the first question needs to be how will you use this RV, and how often. if you are not going to be in it for months at a time, look at a well maintained used upper end, quality motorhome model that is 10-15 years old, they are new enough to be mostly modern when it comes to power train, color scheme, etc. but old enough that the depreciation rate has greatly slowed and condition has become the driving factor when it comes to price.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:58 PM   #28
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If I were in your place I would rent both a class A and a class C for a weekend. Take them to a local CG and see which one best suits you. BTW do it one at a time.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust