Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2018, 08:59 AM   #1

How high do fuel prices need to go before it starts affecting sales?

Here in VA, prices are generally lower than average but I think we are going to be looking at about 3.00 for gas and 3.50 for diesel this summer.

What's your breaking point??
Jtrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2018, 09:07 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrving View Post
Here in VA, prices are generally lower than average but I think we are going to be looking at about 3.00 for gas and 3.50 for diesel this summer.

What's your breaking point??
Not thrilled, but if you want to go, you will pay.
John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:16 AM   #3

l haven't hit that price yet and that includes when the US average was $4.70 a gal for #2 Diesel in July of 2008. From March of 2011 thru June of 2014 it was +/- 10 cents of $4.00 a gallon, and that didn't stop me. We might lower distances we go a little, but we don't quit going out.

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/Le...TE_NUS_DPG&f=M

Near me in SE MN the current price ranges from $2.92 to $3.30 a gallon.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:26 AM   #4

$4.00 a gal.of gas would start to get my attention.We would never stop traveling,but like mentioned shorten our distances.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:34 AM   #5

I think the question was related to sales of RVs. I think $4.00 for diesel is where folks start getting antsy. $4.00 has a direct relation to cost of shipping goods/price of food as well as RVing. For me, $4.00 is the price point I start thinking Used vs. New if I was committed to a plan for RVing.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:35 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In the PNW area, I have many fill ups at $4.00 or more. It is always lower when we get to TX.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:35 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Maybe shorter trips and less often, but then maybe not.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:36 AM   #8

I've got this damn thing, and I'm going to run it until the wheels come off. I may do a lot more mumbling and complaining, but we're still gonna GO. A few years ago I paid $6.00 US a galon for diesel in Whitehorse, YT, Canada. That 135 gal fillup watered my eyes.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:37 AM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
We’re hoping that at some point, our governments are going to step in. Other than oil company greed, there are few reasons why it has come to this. Rising fuel prices affect food pricing and people’s lives and jobs.
Where does it end?
One thing I’m personally doing is not filling my tanks in the car or the truck, rationale being that if enough people were to stop “storing” refinery gas and diesel in their tanks, the resulting excesses would force the gas companies to either reduce pricing to get rid of product or they’d have to reduce refining production. Reducing refining production would most likely force them to reduce the amount they are taking out of the ground. Can they just shut it down and turn it off without affecting their bottom line?
I’m eagerly waiting for electric vehicles to become more affordable and have better infrastructure and range.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:44 AM   #10

We used to cruise up and down the east coast in a 2 engine 42 foot Carver yacht. Normal fuel stops were +750. My mileage was about 1 mile per gal. Now everytime I fuel up at Flying J, i smile it it's less than $150. $4. a gal will curtail our long distance travels and make us reconsider that new 2 foot longer model.
We Rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:58 AM   #11

IMHO,
Over the course of the past 30 years I've always heard these comments about the cost of fuel curtailing the RV industry. "Ya, if fuel gets to XXX, I'm done with RVing........"
In actual fact, if you look back over the years, RVing and of course RV Sales have risen steadily in spite of rising fuel costs. Sure there have been slumps in the industry but those were based on the general economy of the nation, not just the price of fuel.
Each time there is a jump in fuel prices, it seems there is another RV Dealer on the block.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:44 PM   #12

Let's see, at $3.50/gal it would cost me roughly $1,260 to drive across the country (Lewes, DE to LA)* Would another 50 cents per gal make me reconsider (add'l $180). Nope. How about a dollar increase to $4.50/gal, or an add'l $360? No, but I would be thinking about the other $360 to get back to Delaware. $5.00 per gal you say? Now the pucker factor begins to set in. That's an add'l $1,100.

* 2,750 miles at 7.6 mpg = 360 gal
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:59 PM   #13

Yesterday I saw an article on line (so it must be true ) , saying that $4 a gallon gas prices might be in the near future. Their reason was the rest of the world is experiencing strong economic growth. The old supply and demand thing, unlike the in my mind idea, that the oil companies are just ripping us off.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:22 PM   #14

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excesses View Post
We’re hoping that at some point, our governments are going to step in. Other than oil company greed, there are few reasons why it has come to this. Rising fuel prices affect food pricing and people’s lives and jobs.
Where does it end?
Hmmmm..........
I think that the "latest" reason for rising fuel costs in some states.. is their never ending increasing amount of taxes that the states are adding to the fuel/gas..
And yes the sales and subsequent travel will slow down if fuel is not as available or rises high enough that RV'rs cannot easily make ends meet while at home, so no funds to expend on vacations/travel...
For us rising fuel prices will not deter us from using the motor coach, but may affect the distances traveled..or the states visited.... ie: California (and others) comes to mind...
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, sale