Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2022, 10:32 AM   #99

Alpine Owners Club
As a retired mechanic I can say without hesitation that adding too much StaBil repeatedly over a long period of time is not a good thing. It will cause severe sedimentation issues. Best defense for small engines, boats, motorcycles etc is ethanol free fuel and run the fuel system dry before long term storage. For long term storage of larger vehicles a full tank of fuel with the recommended amount of fuel stabilizer never hurts, although I never do. I am a firm believer in SeaFoam additive when they come out of hibernation however.
Each spring I probably repair a dozen assorted small engine carburetors for neighbors who just leave ethanol fuel in their equipment all winter. A quick clean out and some SeaFoam in the first tank of new fuel never fails to work.
So, do fuel stabilizers like StaBil work for long term storage of ethanol fuels...without taking any other precautions?
My experience is "sometimes".
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2022, 07:49 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAlreadyGot1 View Post
You are 100% correct, that is not proof. It also is not an answer to the original question.

Now, if someone were to ask: “How long can I store gas without using a stabilizer?” then you have provided some useful information.

It is interesting to note the amazing amount of information that people have, and are willing to share, about a product which they have never used.
And you are right, that was not the question.

I cannot say whether gasoline with an additive added to it can be stored for a longer period of time than gasoline without. It would not surprise me if it did help but at the same time, wouldn't surprised me if it didn't.

Would be cool to see a side by side comparison. A simple test could be to have two identical engines, fuel systems, and fuel tanks, parked next to each other, and filled with the same amount of fuel from the same source. One with the additive, the other without. Not a perfect test but it would help to give us some insight. Not sure why but I have not been able to find any actual testing or test results in the few times I've tried to research this.
Old 11-05-2022, 08:09 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
And you are right, that was not the question.

I cannot say whether gasoline with an additive added to it can be stored for a longer period of time than gasoline without. It would not surprise me if it did help but at the same time, wouldn't surprised me if it didn't.

Would be cool to see a side by side comparison. A simple test could be to have two identical engines, fuel systems, and fuel tanks, parked next to each other, and filled with the same amount of fuel from the same source. One with the additive, the other without. Not a perfect test but it would help to give us some insight. Not sure why but I have not been able to find any actual testing or test results in the few times I've tried to research this.
This guy has some pretty interesting reviews and you may like this one::
https://youtu.be/UvS_D4_lF5U
Old 11-05-2022, 04:07 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
This guy has some pretty interesting reviews and you may like this one::
https://youtu.be/UvS_D4_lF5U
I’m convinced. There’ll be no storing gas and aluminum in canning jars around this household. A regular gas can and a splash of Sta-bil always seems to keep gas useable for 2-3 years.

And, there won’t be any conversations with the DW about her not putting peaches in the gas cans.
IAlreadyGot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 08:31 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
As a retired mechanic I can say without hesitation that adding too much StaBil repeatedly over a long period of time is not a good thing. It will cause severe sedimentation issues. Best defense for small engines, boats, motorcycles etc is ethanol free fuel and run the fuel system dry before long term storage. For long term storage of larger vehicles a full tank of fuel with the recommended amount of fuel stabilizer never hurts, although I never do. I am a firm believer in SeaFoam additive when they come out of hibernation however.
Each spring I probably repair a dozen assorted small engine carburetors for neighbors who just leave ethanol fuel in their equipment all winter. A quick clean out and some SeaFoam in the first tank of new fuel never fails to work.
So, do fuel stabilizers like StaBil work for long term storage of ethanol fuels...without taking any other precautions?
My experience is "sometimes".
I am sorry but Seafoam like Stabili is mostly Naphtha aka WHITE GAS. This is what Coleman fuel is. If everyone believes putting gas in your gas is a benefit then ok fine. Didn't anyone take chemistry class ?

Best.thread.ever.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 09:25 PM   #104

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceclimber View Post
I am sorry but Seafoam like Stabili is mostly Naphtha aka WHITE GAS. This is what Coleman fuel is. If everyone believes putting gas in your gas is a benefit then ok fine. Didn't anyone take chemistry class ?

Best.thread.ever.
Why be sorry?
SeaFoam works extremely well to clean out fuel systems of varnish and deposits after the damage is done.
Doubtful it or other fuel additives such as StaBil do anything to "stabilize" gasoline for long term storage though.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 09:45 PM   #105

Stabile Fuel Additive:

We drain out small engines for the winter and then run them until the engine stop running.

As for the RV and my classic car. We do use Stabile, especially my late step-dad. The RV actually sat 4 years without being started once. I did need a spray of ether, and she fired right up.
With that said, she did not like full throttle until we ran a couple of tanks full through the engine. So, in my experience the RV did start after 4 years with Stabil, but she wasn't completely happy.
Old 12-05-2022, 12:16 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceclimber View Post
I am sure I will get a few counter arguments, but I researched that product and all fuel additives are in my humble opinion all snake oil.
All due respect to the experts who may disagree with me.

Agree when talking about Gas engines, Snake oil. Don't know enough about diesel. It seems to have algie issues or something I don't understand (yet). I have seen test after test on youtube (I know, not scientific) but they all agree fuel stabilizers seem to do nothing for gas.

I store 2 Motorcycles, 5 cars, and house equipment with gas engines (Generators, snow blowers, lawn mowers, leaf blowers) every year. Some of them are rarely if ever used. My process has been the same for 20 years, btw I in no way want to argue it is right because I have been doing it this way for 20 years, but I have done a lot of research and had a great deal of first hand experience with the topic. Take t or leave it.

First step is I NEVER use gas with ethanol in it in these vehicles/machines when its close to storage time. Ethanol is hydroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture from its surroundings. If you leave fuel stored in a vented container (like a car, lawnmower, etc) it will absorb water. That water can cause corrosion in the fuel system. Anything metal, fuel injectors, pumps, carbs, lines etc etc are metal and can corrode when exposed to moisture, like the moisture contained in the Ethanol mixed with the gas in your tank. So ethanol fuel is OK except you don't want to store it. Gas itself is Hydrophobic. It will not mix with water, water settles out of gas.

Second step is I never leave gas stored for more than a year. other thing that happens to gas is when it gets old and starts to break down and can leave a "varnish" or gummy residue. I have seen this condition cause a valve to stick in an otherwise healthy Honda Generator. Intake valve had enough of this residue on it that it stuck open. So if you have fuel in your "thing" that is close to a year old burn it in something else if possible, but change it out. In the case of lawnmowers and snowblowers I just run it out of gas at the end of the year. In the case of cars I try to be sure to run at least 2 tanks of gas through every year. If I could not do that I would drain it and burn it in my daily driver.

Thge upside of fuel stabilizers is, from what I can learn they don't do anything bad, they just don't seem to do anything.

You can google what gas stations in your area sell gas without ethanol.
AirBossdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 01:46 PM   #107

Excel Owners Club
The latest Stabil Snake Oil is ethanol gas treatment.

I imagine both work as either anti-gas or ethanol coagulants..

Or not.

But I always run my small engines dry before storage.

I use Stabil in my gas cans. Never a problem year after year.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:48 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBossdavid View Post
All due respect to the experts who may disagree with me.

Agree when talking about Gas engines, Snake oil. Don't know enough about diesel. It seems to have algie issues or something I don't understand (yet). I have seen test after test on youtube (I know, not scientific) but they all agree fuel stabilizers seem to do nothing for gas.

I store 2 Motorcycles, 5 cars, and house equipment with gas engines (Generators, snow blowers, lawn mowers, leaf blowers) every year. Some of them are rarely if ever used. My process has been the same for 20 years, btw I in no way want to argue it is right because I have been doing it this way for 20 years, but I have done a lot of research and had a great deal of first hand experience with the topic. Take t or leave it.

First step is I NEVER use gas with ethanol in it in these vehicles/machines when its close to storage time. Ethanol is hydroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture from its surroundings. If you leave fuel stored in a vented container (like a car, lawnmower, etc) it will absorb water. That water can cause corrosion in the fuel system. Anything metal, fuel injectors, pumps, carbs, lines etc etc are metal and can corrode when exposed to moisture, like the moisture contained in the Ethanol mixed with the gas in your tank. So ethanol fuel is OK except you don't want to store it. Gas itself is Hydrophobic. It will not mix with water, water settles out of gas.

Second step is I never leave gas stored for more than a year. other thing that happens to gas is when it gets old and starts to break down and can leave a "varnish" or gummy residue. I have seen this condition cause a valve to stick in an otherwise healthy Honda Generator. Intake valve had enough of this residue on it that it stuck open. So if you have fuel in your "thing" that is close to a year old burn it in something else if possible, but change it out. In the case of lawnmowers and snowblowers I just run it out of gas at the end of the year. In the case of cars I try to be sure to run at least 2 tanks of gas through every year. If I could not do that I would drain it and burn it in my daily driver.

Thge upside of fuel stabilizers is, from what I can learn they don't do anything bad, they just don't seem to do anything.

You can google what gas stations in your area sell gas without ethanol.
Not everyone has easy access to non-ethanol gas.
Old 12-06-2022, 10:05 AM   #109

Excel Owners Club
It's premium $$$ here $$$. Stability now has an ethanol gas treatment to reduce ill effects on non-ethanol rated equip.
Old 12-06-2022, 11:43 AM   #110

I've probably stated this already but I do not spend money on ethanol free gas or fuel additives. From all the horror stories I read about on here, I'm just not sure how my engines with carburetors and fuel injection systems keep on a trucking.

And a coincidence here. Got the roto tiller out of the shed this morning and did some tilling in the garden. Gas that I had in it was added in February,, engine ran great!
Old 12-07-2022, 07:25 AM   #111

Quote:
I've probably stated this already but I do not spend money on ethanol free gas or fuel additives. From all the horror stories I read about on here, I'm just not sure how my engines with carburetors and fuel injection systems keep on a trucking.

And a coincidence here. Got the roto tiller out of the shed this morning and did some tilling in the garden. Gas that I had in it was added in February,, engine ran great!
I’m a lot like you in that I don’t use additives.

However, I try to use non ethanol fuel, for the most part, in my lawn and garden engines, my chain saws and ATV’s. The reasoning I use is that over time, say a couple years, the ethanol will sometimes deteriorate internal carburetor rubbers and hoses and lines. This is not an opinion, it’s a fact. Many times, you’ll have no problem at all with deterioration, so go figure.

Today’s cars are built to withstand ethanol, small engines generally are not.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 07:30 AM   #112

Quote:

I’m a lot like you in that I don’t use additives.

However, I try to use non ethanol fuel, for the most part, in my lawn and garden engines, my chain saws and ATV’s. The reasoning I use is that over time, say a couple years, the ethanol will deteriorate internal carburetor rubbers and hoses and lines. This is not an opinion, it’s a fact.

Today’s cars are built to withstand ethanol, small engines are not.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tank