Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2022, 08:40 PM   #1

How long can gas last in a tank with Stabil in it ?

I filled my tank up last September (2021) and added Stabil to it. I have a 80-gallon tank I burned about 20 gallons of gas March 2022 I have a seasonal campsite. I only plan on using 20 or 30 gallons per season should I siphon the gas out and put 30 gallons of gas (with Stabil) in every year?
STEVE-JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2022, 08:52 PM   #2

I am sure I will get a few counter arguments, but I researched that product and all fuel additives are in my humble opinion all snake oil. Gas that has ethanol already is "stabilized". Gas that does not is also "stable". The most important thing with any gasoline is simply don't let it set still in a simple carburetor. I assume your RV is fuel injected ? I have always run all my gas engines dry to store then and have never, ever used a drop of stabil, seafoam, gumout whatever in any gasoline engine ever. There is a serious scientific study out there, I will have to dig it up. Says what I just did. Stabil call it's product "trade secret" and the secret is how they get people to buy it. Burn the gas, try not to store it.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 06:11 AM   #3

This explains: https://www.westmarine.com/west-advi...uel-Myths.html

The best thing an owner can do to reduce stored fuel from absorbing water is to keep the fuel tank topped-off.
This eliminates air space inside the tank, otherwise normal heating and cooling condense humidity in air, which then falls to the bottom of the tank as water, beginning the process of fuel degradation and fuel phase-separation.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 07:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
This explains: https://www.westmarine.com/west-advi...uel-Myths.html

The best thing an owner can do to reduce stored fuel from absorbing water is to keep the fuel tank topped-off.
This eliminates air space inside the tank, otherwise normal heating and cooling condense humidity in air, which then falls to the bottom of the tank as water, beginning the process of fuel degradation and fuel phase-separation.
To be fair the article clearly recommends doing two things...
Topping off AND treating the fuel

From the cited article...
"If possible, store your boat for the winter with a full fuel tank. Add a fuel stabilizer to the fuel at the recommended dosage. Run the engine for 10 minutes to distribute stabilized fuel into the engine and fuel lines."

"TRUTH:*Ethanol blended fuels (E10) are common throughout much of the United States. After the transition period from non-ethanol fuel, E10 may actually be a superior marine fuel, as it tends to keep low levels of water moving through the fuel system, keeping the system “dry”. For over a decade, marine engines have been engineered to handle E10 gasoline. However, all types of fuels should be treated if they won’t be used in a few weeks."
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 07:41 AM   #5

I had Stabil in my bass boat tank for 5 yrs,
Started it last November on a dime, ran great.
It had non-ethanol gas and appropriate amount of Stabil.
The gas tank was sealed tight the whole time.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 07:51 AM   #6

My parent's gasser sat for 3 years with Stabil and it ran great. I drove it from Ohio to Ga with no fuel issues.

Now the brakes were a different story.
Old 10-23-2022, 08:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
My parent's gasser sat for 3 years with Stabil and it ran great. I drove it from Ohio to Ga with no fuel issues.

Now the brakes were a different story.
I see replies like this all the time but none of them ever offer up any concrete evidence that the additive actually did anything. My bet is that your parent's gasser would have run fine without the Stabil.

Personally, I doubt these kinds of fuel additives do much of anything except drain a person's wallet. Imo, the best thing a person can do is to keep the tank filled when in storage. Basing this on the many many years I've actually been doing this.

Our 2003 Itasca is stored in the backyard and has fuel in it that is many months old more times than not. The boat's 4 stroke engine, ATVs and lawn equipment are stored the same. No additives ever and all start and run fine when needed.
Old 10-23-2022, 09:28 AM   #8

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc, ie., when I put my RV into winter storage I was wearing blue socks, when I got it out I was wearing blue socks, therefore, since it's running perfectly fine, any thinking person could only deduce it was the blue socks.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 09:40 AM   #9

I've never put a stabilizing additive in any gas. My lawn mower always started fine after sitting all winter. My gas trimmer always started. My boat always started, and it could be 6 months or more. My motorhome always starts as well, but I do run the engine every month as well as exercise the generator.
Donskiman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 09:52 AM   #10

Keep using Stabil with a full tank and you should not have any issues based on my experience storing skiboats and vehicles while living overseas for 3 years.
Old 10-23-2022, 10:02 AM   #11

I can only add this. I have a portable generator that I keep for emergencies at home. I don't exercise it often enough. Usually when I finally get around to exercising it it won't start with the gas left in its tank. I drain that fuel and add fuel that I have in a five gallon can with Stabil. That fuel is often a year old. It starts right up with that "new" fuel every time.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 10:07 AM   #12

Stabil works…

With my lawn equipment, very hard to start after it sits 6 months without stabil.

I’ve had gas in cars for 3 years and they started right up…
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 11:52 AM   #13

Lol as I was saying....
To each their own, it is your money to spend as you see fit. However I take direct issue with the "keep your tank full" that is simply not true. That is typically pushed by marinas that sell gas. You can test this very simply by drawing a small sample, put it in a glass jar and seal it. It will be the exact same color as that tank of gas in the spring. If the gas you pull is anything but white, you already likely have water in the fuel and you should just burn it. You can force water to mix with gas by simply introducing the purest alcohol (like 98%) and again, burn it. Most gas burning and all oil burning marine engines have fuel water separators and it's due to crap gas among other things. I always kept my boat tanks as low as possible and in the spring change the racors.
Articles = opinions. Not science.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 12:16 PM   #14

How do scientific articles stack up against anecdotal Internet forum ramblings?
IAlreadyGot1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tank