Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2017, 08:18 AM   #57

No harm in running them for extended periods, days even. That's what they are designed to do.

Longest I ever ran mine was about 7 hours and that was an accident. We were in the South West somewhere. Was very hot as we were getting ready to leave. I flipped on the gen and the roof airs so the DW would be comfortable as I disconnected everything, moved the coach a little and hooked up the car. Forgot the gen was on and took off. Was amazed how cool the coach stayed with very little help from the dash air. Kept upping the temp setting so it would not be so cool.

Didn't realize it until I started to hook up in the new campground. I was wondering who was running their gen at 6:00 at night in a full hookup park!!

At least I didn't leave it on all night
X-OEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2017, 08:39 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I once ran my for 2 plus days when the power was out at my home. It kept the freezer and reefer running.

How did you connect the house to your gent to keep the reefer and freezer running please?
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:41 AM   #59

Tiffin Owners Club
Go solar, and save the noise. I just purchased 435w Sun Power Panels for $160 a panel. Look on Las Vegas Craigslist for more. 4 Panels gives you. 1540 watts of solar.
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:56 AM   #60

I have a Honda 2000 that I have run for a week after a hurricane. Only time it stopped was to fill with gas and check the oil daily.
JUS1MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:20 AM   #61
Eds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320Fastback View Post
Gotcha, any engine will be better off running constantly instead of going thru heat/cold cycles.

In 24H, if the oil level stays where it needs to be it would be best left on. Of course only if it needs to be though.

I have a OLD 4BFA that powers my tools at work before jobsite power is installed. Runs all day, day after day only stopping to fill gas tank.

I regularly run mine for 3-4 days nonstop
Just check oil and do regular changes
Eds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:49 AM   #62

Run it as long as you have gas that can feed it.

During football season, I will start mine up around 3pm on Friday and it will run until 10am or so on Sunday. I only turn it off for about 4 hours while we are inside the game. It gets quite hot in late August / early September in South Louisiana and my Onan will not blink.
RaisingCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator