Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2020, 07:53 AM   #1

How Long Do You Wait On Warranty Parts

We bought a new Coachmen Mirada 35BH at the end of May. We took our first long trip in July, going to the Grand Canyon, Zion and Arches.
The first night into the trip the AC/heat pump failed. Next day the front AC/heat pump failed. Back one locked the compressor and the front one cracked a line.

We did not want to cancel our trip. Needless to say it was a HOT trip. We bought a $400 portable ac from Home Depot and ran the duct out a side window. We closed the back bedroom and slept on the couch in the front with the kids. It marginally helped.

I understand things break. It's the repairs that are frustrating.

While on the trip we contacted Coachmen and they tried to get the AC mfg to get us a replacement on the road but it did not work out. We wasted two days chasing RV repair shops and making calls. Ok I understood that.

Now it is two months later and the RV has been sitting at the dealer since early August waiting on the new units to be delivered. There is now question that they are covered and they have an authorization number, they have been waiting on the units to ship from the factory.

At what point do we loose patience? At this point we have pretty much lost this year for using it.

Has anyone had their RV in the shop for an extended time and gotten any kind of compensation? After all, we have been making payments on something we can't use through no fault of our own.
kevinruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2020, 08:10 AM   #2

From reading, AC units are in rare supply as RV sales are at a high.
Autos have Lemon Laws which in most states dictate days down or repurchase the auto. RVs don't have such protection.

So, make some calls on your own to find a AC unit. Or buy some used ones for the interim. Or get your RV out and use it like the first trip. They should have known the AC units are hard to find and should have given you the option of drive or wait.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:21 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
actually DavL there is a set of merchantability laws that can be used in the case of out of service time... i.e. an item should function for the intended purpose... if it doesn't, than you have recourse (i used it successfully for my pos thor-redwood 5er)
keep great records of dates, times, who you talked to, what they said... etc...
in my case I could see an issue so I started communicating in email to have a record of it... good luck and hope the [Mod Edit] virus does not become an excuse like I fear it might....
Old 09-15-2020, 08:34 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would not fool around any more. A registered letter, return receipt requested, should be sent to Coachman CEO, outlining your problem (s). Copy of this letter should be sent to the IN attorney general who handles consumer fraud.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:07 AM   #5

Yes, make some noise and contact executives as high up as possible.

The squeaky wheel...You know.
Old 09-15-2020, 12:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by uchu View Post
Yes, make some noise and contact executives as high up as possible.

The squeaky wheel...You know.
It definitely pays to be the squeaky wheel in most cases but I'm not exactly sure how much it'll help in the OP's case. Just from reading on here, RV air conditioners are in short supply right now. Seems the manufacturers aren't keeping up with demand. I'd keep making noise so that maybe the dealership will try harder to get replacements but I wouldn't expect things the go much faster.

If you've been on these forums very long, you've probably read posts complaining about long waits on warranty work. Seems to be fairly common. August until now, one and a half months, is nothing compared to some of the posts I've read.
Old 09-15-2020, 12:44 PM   #7

I would Drive the RV to the factory or the Dealer and invite the local TV news station and plead my case on TV.
I think the highest executive is Warren Buffet.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:13 PM   #8

Do you think they still have AC units available for the production lines?

Or have they closed production down due to no AC units.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:25 PM   #9

This won't be what you want to hear, but, it is, what it is. And, it's my OPINION, given for free, like the rest you've seen thus far. My attitude about total failure of both HVAC systems simultaneously is that I couldn't continue in this RV, PERIOD. This kind of thing reflects really bad engineering design, quality control, and unacceptably poor components.

Quality in the RV industry is illusive, but some brands seem to get it right more often than others. My personal opinion of the Coachmen brand is poor.

Bottom line, IMO, would be to get it fixed however you can (or not, if no reasonable solution presents itself) and trade it for one of the brands with a reputation for better overall owner experience. There are several, and Google is your friend. I can recommend Tiffin.

That is all.
fottip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:33 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I would write the CEO of your manufacturer and then take the coach to them at the factory.

Buying again....do look at Tiffin for not only their coach but their unbelievable customer care/service after you purchase one of their coaches (new or used).
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:38 PM   #11

On 8/15/20 I called an RV parts dealer to buy an AC unit. Out of stock until 2-3 wks so I left my number. I even called a couple more with the same answer. On 9/12 I received a call saying they just received a "Black" colored AC. Told them I wanted a "White" colored one. Told me they'll get back to me. Never got a call back.
Yesterday I called about a re-manufactured unit that the seller said was ordered by mistake. Long story short I thoroughly inspected it along with the purchase and shipping receipts and emails to the company asking to cancel the order with the company's reply that it was already shipped.
Based on my search, new ac units are hard to come by.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:15 AM   #12

[Mod edit]. Parts manufacturer shut-downs & panic buying in the RV market. Just replaced both waste tank valves & they’re on backorder everywhere.
Cincy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:40 PM   #13

AC units are in very short supply. Early August I needed a high capacity Dometic White Penguin AC unit with heat pump. I went to the local dealer and he said even Dometic is out of stock. He tried another supplier he deals with and just by chance there was one in a distribution warehouse in Calgary. Received it the next day and installed it by myself, with some friends to get it up on the roof. I feel I was very lucky to come across my AC unit. Everywhere I looked on line at the time, no one had any stock. As soon as my dealer said he found one I said I’ll take it as I didn’t want to have it sold from under me. Covid has thrown the entire economy out of whack. We tried to buy a blood pressure monitor at Costco yesterday and even they are out of stock. It’s a different world out there now.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:29 PM   #14

Covid has slowed down everything. Lippert has bought out all the smaller RV parts and accessories makers. We are at their mercy.
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts, warranty