Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2020, 02:41 PM   #29

I used to buy Pennzoil motorcycle oil by the case from the local distributor because the shops' pricing was idiotic. It would sometimes take me a couple of years to use all of it. The bikes didn't seem to care
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2020, 08:23 AM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've used years old (but new) oil, wrong viscosity, mixed different kinds, years old filters, and used oil to get rid of stuff.
2 million miles later everything is still running when I sold it.
I ran a 2 cycle motorcycle out of oil once. Used wrong oil to get back on the road. Ran kerosene in a dirty engine to clean it out.
" Any oil is better than none."
Old 12-20-2020, 09:57 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I'm close to 80 and do not remember oil stored and sold in glass bottles. The only glass bottles I recall were the ones that service stations used to transfer oil from their bulk tanks to the vehicle. They had a screw on metal top with a tapered spout. My son has some with his gas pump collection. Does that date some of us????
I still use one of those for putting oil in my tractors, mostly hydraulic as I buy it in 5 gallons.
Old 12-20-2020, 11:21 AM   #32

The glass 1 quart bottles in the rack were used for "top off" on the island. The 4 or 5 quart (depending on which you bought) SwingSpout cans were used for filling after oil changes. The lubesters full of bulk oil could be set to pump one quart at a time or continuously. In the one quart setting you had to turn the handle back each time to pump another quart.

When I left the service station business they were just starting to use plastic bottles so I kept the lubesters, bottles and racks for posterity. Someday I'll strip and repaint them to look good again. I wish I'd kept a few of the gallon oil cans, they seem to be in short supply.

I also had a number of cans of additives, all Texaco brand. Only one type has started leaking. The radiator stop leak cans have all developed holes. Figure that one out......
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 12:29 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post
The glass 1 quart bottles in the rack were used for "top off" on the island. The 4 or 5 quart (depending on which you bought) SwingSpout cans were used for filling after oil changes. The lubesters full of bulk oil could be set to pump one quart at a time or continuously. In the one quart setting you had to turn the handle back each time to pump another quart.

When I left the service station business they were just starting to use plastic bottles so I kept the lubesters, bottles and racks for posterity. Someday I'll strip and repaint them to look good again. I wish I'd kept a few of the gallon oil cans, they seem to be in short supply.

I also had a number of cans of additives, all Texaco brand. Only one type has started leaking. The radiator stop leak cans have all developed holes. Figure that one out......
Growing up in the late 40's and 50's, all of the above is what we had. My son has been collecting all types of service station equipment for years. Walking into his home shop is like walking into a long gone era of time. He even has the drive over hose to ring the service bell. Gas pumps from the Visible Glass tanks of the 1920's to the more modern ones from the 70's. Most are professionally reconditioned to look like new. Oil company signs around the walls. Oil racks with full cans of oil from 70 years ago. Even a big cash register with tabs listing what service was done. Also some like new Auto promotional magazines from the 50's and 60's sitting on the old gas station counter. At the far end of the room is a hoist to work in his Jeep. (I have a key, so I get to use it too.) Growing up in that time was the best time to be kid. No one locked their homes, the keys were left in the cars, kids could play all day with friends with no fear of harm. (Except maybe from falling out of a homemade tree house) Everyone looked out for each other. It truly was a good time to live through. I know I got a little off subject, but I sure others here have their own special memories.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 12:35 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Motor oil company tells you their product expires? I wouldn’t buy that brand. New oil sealed in a container does not go bad.
Old 12-20-2020, 02:31 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Growing up in the late 40's and 50's, all of the above is what we had. My son has been collecting all types of service station equipment for years. Walking into his home shop is like walking into a long gone era of time. He even has the drive over hose to ring the service bell. Gas pumps from the Visible Glass tanks of the 1920's to the more modern ones from the 70's. Most are professionally reconditioned to look like new. Oil company signs around the walls. Oil racks with full cans of oil from 70 years ago. Even a big cash register with tabs listing what service was done. Also some like new Auto promotional magazines from the 50's and 60's sitting on the old gas station counter. At the far end of the room is a hoist to work in his Jeep. (I have a key, so I get to use it too.) Growing up in that time was the best time to be kid. No one locked their homes, the keys were left in the cars, kids could play all day with friends with no fear of harm. (Except maybe from falling out of a homemade tree house) Everyone looked out for each other. It truly was a good time to live through. I know I got a little off subject, but I sure others here have their own special memories.
Where does he live? I want to see the garage and meet your Son.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 02:32 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
Where does he live? I want to see the garage and meet your Son.

Central WI

The building is 80' X 110' with a diviner down the long center. Heated floor, enclosed shooting range on one long side, He can drive his 45' coach with 26' enclosed trailer in one end and out the other. The best feature is that I get to use it when I want.
Old 12-20-2020, 04:28 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank.

That would be 6 days round trip, best to have a big need for use.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 04:42 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
Thank.

That would be 6 days round trip, best to have a big need for use.
Yea, chances are you can find a closer shop.
Old 12-24-2020, 03:17 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mobil 1

I had a couple of gallon jugs of Mobil 1 10W40 that I used for a Z06 Corvette. Sold the car so they sat for probably 6 years or so. They were sealed, when I picked them off my shelf they were about 3/4 full and had turned a real dark amber color and smelled like cosmolene. Apparently synthetic base stock will break down over time. I think dino oils probably not. Just my O2.
hotrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 03:21 PM   #40

I worked for Pennzoil for over 30 years. Nothing to worry about on your 10w-30. Use it.
Shell Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 03:24 PM   #41

In Mi they just called it bulk oil Back in the late 60's 25 cents a quart in a bottle I opened an old can of Valvoline and it looked milky but it's like 55 years old in a cardboard çan
Montaquilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 03:51 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Bought a 750 Honda in 73 and I’m still using the Castrol 30 wt paper cans I had back then. The green and white label actually says motorcycle oil. Maybe I should sell them as original antique oils.
f365gt4 is offline   Reply With Quote