Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2020, 03:33 PM   #127

I wonder how much effect speed has on our tires. I read of travelling in 80+ temps at 70-80 mph, even 90 mph. I mean seriously?

These are not tires designed for NASCAR.

I would be interested to know what the centrifugal force would be on a MH tire at say 60 mph. Perhaps one of our resident engineers could chime in on this?

Thanks in advance.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2020, 09:43 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Bohr View Post
After reading most of these posts, I have come to the conclusion that we must do what ever is necessary for our own situations. Sometimes the tires may only be 5 years old and need replacing, sometimes the tires can go longer. It isn't whatever floats your boat, it is what ever is safe for your own tires and Rv. Have your tires inspected once a year, inside and out. A reputable tire shop knows tires. Follow their advice or get a second opinion. As a woman, I'd rather have good, safe tires but know that stuff
happens, even with new tires. Being prepared and keeping your equipment in good shape is the main thing. I have learned this from this forum and am still looking forward to owning an Rv. Good luck to all of you, the country is opening again, I hope you all have happy trails.
Who has their tires inspected "inside and outside once a year"? Nobody would be the answer.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:54 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
Who has their tires inspected "inside and outside once a year"? Nobody would be the answer.
Perhaps implying the inboard and outboard side of the tire externally.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:05 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Bohr View Post
After reading most of these posts, I have come to the conclusion that we must do what ever is necessary for our own situations. Sometimes the tires may only be 5 years old and need replacing, sometimes the tires can go longer. It isn't whatever floats your boat, it is what ever is safe for your own tires and Rv. Have your tires inspected once a year, inside and out. A reputable tire shop knows tires. Follow their advice or get a second opinion. As a woman, I'd rather have good, safe tires but know that stuff
happens, even with new tires. Being prepared and keeping your equipment in good shape is the main thing. I have learned this from this forum and am still looking forward to owning an Rv. Good luck to all of you, the country is opening again, I hope you all have happy trails.
Well stated
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:05 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Perhaps implying the inboard and outboard side of the tire externally.
Certainly
Old 06-04-2020, 06:23 AM   #132

Nope--it means dismount and inspect the inside surfaces for deformities -- that's why the 6-7 year "rule" makes the most sense....no one is going to pay for inspections from 7 thru 10 years, as Michelin requires......so "stretching" to 10+ years is moot....again, just listen to all the "rational" for why "I" can get away with 10 or even 20 years on this thread!!!!! So, not only do I have to worry about my own tires, now I have to worry about meeting/following one of these guys on the highway too!!!!!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:39 PM   #133

Don't forget they are turning a lot lower RPM than most car tires at the same speed.
joelsplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:39 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Nope--it means dismount and inspect the inside surfaces for deformities -- that's why the 6-7 year "rule" makes the most sense....no one is going to pay for inspections from 7 thru 10 years, as Michelin requires......so "stretching" to 10+ years is moot....again, just listen to all the "rational" for why "I" can get away with 10 or even 20 years on this thread!!!!! So, not only do I have to worry about my own tires, now I have to worry about meeting/following one of these guys on the highway too!!!!!
Not only will you have to worry about driving behind me as you worry about me recklessly blow a tire that hasn't happened in 54 years of driving every conceivable vehicle as I might just roll down my window and sneeze on you too!
Life is a bitch. Some people might just be better off staying home. But then again you might slip in the bathtub, hit your head and drown. May be safer to just never get out of bed.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:08 AM   #135

….what a coincidence--I was hoping you were staying home--great minds think alike [smile]
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 06-07-2020, 02:27 PM   #136

Over 10,000 people got killed by drunk driver's over past year.
How many died from rv tires that blew out that were older than 10 years? Or 7 years old? Or 5 years old?
I believe the answer is zero or close to it. And that includes all blown tires in all conditions and age for all reasons. Let alone tires in outward good condition, tire pressure and moderate driving speed.
Obsessing over other people's choice of tire condition makes no sense.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:37 PM   #137

...so guess I can assume you aren't staying home--darn...….a little humor sure goes a long way on this forum....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 06-08-2020, 09:44 AM   #138

Quote:
How many died from rv tires that blew out that were older than 10 years? Or 7 years old? Or 5 years old?
I believe the answer is zero or close to it. And that includes all blown tires in all conditions and age for all reasons. Let alone tires in outward good condition, tire pressure and moderate driving speed.
I agree. Life is about risk mitigation. People often obsess over things like this. My 22.5 Michelins on my DP are 5 years old, they look great, they will be on there at least another 5 years. End of story. If you want to panic, read the incident reports on RV tire blowouts with just Michelins. Many of these tires had very low mileage, and age wasn't the issue. Happy motoring!

https://www.vehicletire.com/Consumer...t/Michelin/XRV
1FastGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:33 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastGuy View Post
I agree. Life is about risk mitigation. People often obsess over things like this. My 22.5 Michelins on my DP are 5 years old, they look great, they will be on there at least another 5 years. End of story. If you want to panic, read the incident reports on RV tire blowouts with just Michelins. Many of these tires had very low mileage, and age wasn't the issue. Happy motoring!

https://www.vehicletire.com/Consumer...t/Michelin/XRV
This thread is alive, heading for 15K views and on

My Michelins look great on the Tuscany at 5 years old and they sure aren't heading for a trailer for quite some time

Lots of opinions on tires for sure
Old 06-08-2020, 01:50 PM   #140

Quote:
There have been many people that have gotten killed because of a front wheel blow out on an RV. Older people just do not have the strength to control a front wheel blow out which will pull either to the right or left and most will panic and slam on the brakes which is the worst thing you can do. Need to press on the accelerator to gain control of the coach, then start slowing down easy. But I can remember this fairly new coach in Florida blew a front tire, pulled hard to the right and slammed into a big tree killing both husband and wife. I believe the coach was called an Ambassador or something like that, but blowouts can kill on roll overs or collisions.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires