RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2020, 09:59 AM   #1

How long to push tires?

We were walking thru a Camping World over the weekend in Nashville and saw a very damaged Presidio Coach in the service entrance. It looked as if it were towed in overnight. The front right tire blowout caused an amazing amount of damage. It looked like a total loss to me. Several bays were destroyed on both sides. Front cap was broken away from side walls from where front end dropped into the ground/mud. I think the general rule on MH tire replacement is 6 years? The tires on this coach were dated 2004. Yikess......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blowout.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	406.5 KB
ID:	309764  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2020, 10:03 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
No such "general" rule. The tire manufacturers generally consider 10 years as the absolute rule. Up to that time it's up to how much you can afford. My last tire and internal TPMS sensor change came to nearly $8,000 and I was at 9 years. After dismounting I realized I could have gone at least another year.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:17 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Personally, I don't want to go over 7 years, especially on the fronts. As far as the damage, given the amount of damage you described... "Several bays were destroyed on both sides" and the amount of mud and debris in that front wheel, I am inclined to think that a lot of the damage may have been caused from departing the road after the blow out event. (I did personally witness a DS tag blow out on a Prevost split the shock into two pieces).
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:43 AM   #4

This is a debate that's been hashed over and over many, many times in the time frame I've been on IRV2. *Tire age comfort level*, is quite subjective in all reality. Two guys, with the same motorhome, purchase tires at the same exact time. They both operate them in relatively equal environments, accumulate the relatively the same mileage per year. BUT, one feels that the MAX time he should subject his wife (if he has one), his family, (if he has one) and or himself to in terms of tire life and mileage, could be considerably different than the other gent.

I myself could give a rats a... about what a manufacturer *thinks* their tires should go in time wise. It's NOT THEIR RIG that the tires are on and, AND, being that THEY are a lot bigger and waaaaaay more powerful than the average RV'er is, they can and quite often do, DENY the contesting that a tire *blew* way ahead of it's *intended* operational time frame. THEY have the so-called *experts* and we, well, we're just your average RV'er. They can and often do, spit out reasons that were the OWNERS fault that a tire came apart, even when it is way under the so called *intended or, suggested* life expectancy.

So, in the end, it's simply up to each individual owner to ascertain what's gonna be the max time frame for his/her given set of tires, based on their use, mileage, age, appearance, handling, ride and more. My brother-in-law also just experienced an inner rear blow-out on his gas coach a week ago on a trip to a family reunion. And yep, it did a pretty fair amount of damage to all sorts of underside equipment/coach/LPG lines, wiring and more. He was *advised* by family members and friends, to change those tires quite some time ago, due to age and appearance. But, he chose to ignore the advice and warnings and stretch the life out. Well, it didn't quite pay off in the way he thought it would.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:07 AM   #5

Wow- 16 yrs is pretty old and now they pay the price. My tires were a few months shy of 8 yrs old and I changed them out a couple weeks ago. The old ones still look good but who knows ?
Old 11-30-2020, 11:15 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC182 View Post
.... The tires on this coach were dated 2004. Yikess......
The other thing I would have been interested in was the air pressure in each tire. I wonder if people that tend to drive 16 year old tires also don't keep the right pressure in them. Maybe that old tire was also low on air pressure making it a deadly duo.

2007 Monaco Diplomat 40 PDQ
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:19 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
.... or, maybe he just hit a piece of debris on the road!
Old 11-30-2020, 11:36 AM   #8

At 16 years your looking for trouble, can't imagine what was going through owners head, unless he just bought coach and went by visual and never checked tire age.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:00 PM   #9

Thumbs down Seriously???

"No such "general" rule. The tire manufacturers generally consider 10 years as the absolute rule. "

[Mod Edit] I can assure you that there has been a General rule" in the RV industry for years that recognizes tires "Time Out" vs wearing out. Now whether or not your number is 5, 6, 7 years whatever I have yet to encounter any RV tire manufacturer that advocated keeping their tires 10 years. Do lots of people get away with running RV tires too long, sure they do. Is it foolish and dangerous... You betcha!

A little over a year ago I had one of my 5.5 year old Michelin LTX M/S 2's {driverside/outer dually} grenade going down I-10 at 65 mph. The day before, as is my habit, I stopped by Discount Tire and had them inspected, all had 4/32's of tread with no signs of any issues whatsoever. They were aired up to precisely the correct psi for the load I was carrying. I did not hit any debris and the weather was 75 degrees. Full disclosure... Arizona is a very challenging environment when it comes to tire wear/abuse.

The damage came to $4,181 with the wheel well being blown right up through the bottom of the coach. I hate to think about that level of explosive force taking place on one of the front tires.

IMHO: After 5 years you are on the clock for a problem and given the number of folks who have no clue about the proper psi for the loads they carry {how many times have you read "just use the door sticker or worse run them at the max psi on the sidewall?} I am amazed that there aren't more problems.

As always... Opinions and YMMV.
Capt Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post
"No such "general" rule. The tire manufacturers generally consider 10 years as the absolute rule. "

[Mod Edit] I can assure you that there has been a General rule" in the RV industry for years that recognizes tires "Time Out" vs wearing out. Now whether or not your number is 5, 6, 7 years whatever I have yet to encounter any RV tire manufacturer that advocated keeping their tires 10 years. Do lots of people get away with running RV tires too long, sure they do. Is it foolish and dangerous... You betcha!

A little over a year ago I had one of my 5.5 year old Michelin LTX M/S 2's {driverside/outer dually} grenade going down I-10 at 65 mph. The day before, as is my habit, I stopped by Discount Tire and had them inspected, all had 4/32's of tread with no signs of any issues whatsoever. They were aired up to precisely the correct psi for the load I was carrying. I did not hit any debris and the weather was 75 degrees. Full disclosure... Arizona is a very challenging environment when it comes to tire wear/abuse.

The damage came to $4,181 with the wheel well being blown right up through the bottom of the coach. I hate to think about that level of explosive force taking place on one of the front tires.

IMHO: After 5 years you are on the clock for a problem and given the number of folks who have no clue about the proper psi for the loads they carry {how many times have you read "just use the door sticker or worse run them at the max psi on the sidewall?} I am amazed that there aren't more problems.
LOL !......Right from the Michelin Website....
Some recreational vehicle owners may choose
to operate MICHELIN® tires after the tire
warranty expires. For consumers who choose
to operate tires beyond the tire’s warranted
life, Michelin recommends frequent tire
inspections, especially before long trips.
Michelin recommends that any tires, including
spare tires, should be replaced after 10 years of
service, even if they have not reached the legal
wear limit.
Mr Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 02:36 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
If I’ve put all the miles on and use the rig frequently I’ll go 7 years on the front and 10 on the rear, assuming they pass a good visual inspection.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:13 PM   #12

I have a slightly different plan. There is a market for used 22.5" tires in the central WI farming community. At five years I replace all eight and sell the takeoffs for about $100 each. The last set went on a semi trailer than got local seasonal use. There are buyers for five year old tires with good tread, but 6 or 7 year old ones are harder to move. This last set of eight 295/80/22.5 cost me a net $3,000 mounted and balanced after selling the takeoffs.
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 03:21 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have acquired a certain amount of tire knowledge, and your life experiences have demonstrated to you that you can usually trust your own judgement, then you can usually rely on your gut. Obviously, though, there can be some glaring weaknesses in this premise!
I bought a new set of 6 Michelin XZA in 2012. I drove every mile on them, I knew how they were treated . I watched them through years 4, 5, and 6, looking perfect. Summer of ‘19 I started to see some tiny tiny hairline cracks starting in a rear outer sidewall. I judged they would be ok for an upcoming 3000 trip. For a month, then two months I watched the tires. Near the end of the trip, more hairlines were starting to appear, on three of the tires. All very fine hairlines, none even open enough to measure, but there were now many of them. We got back to Texas and I decided that was the end of the line, and these would be replaced before the next serious travel.
So, late summer ‘20 a new set of 6 Sumitomos found there way onto the coach. My Michelin’s, 8-1/2 years old and still looking fine by most standards, no doubt found their way into Tier 2 of the tire world. They had served me well, but my gut told me it was time to go.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 03:42 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post

As always... Opinions and YMMV.
As a service manager, I went to Louisville dealer show every December. I talked to the manufacturers rep. From the tire makers. These guys all said 10 years max. Wheather you follow this or not is up to you. I do follow this. My last blowout was at five years. Should I be changing tires at four years? No way!
Another thing they said is that people who wreck with a blown tire are not necessarly bad drivers. Many times the blown tire gets wrapped around the steering rods and makes steering impossible. Also the tire can turn sideways on the rim and you basically have three or four more times the rubber surface on the blown side pulling the motorhome to the blown side.

Tags
tires