Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2009, 03:13 PM   #1

how many amps for 110 plug

okay, i have a class A MC and it will be parked at a storage facility that has 110 electrical outlet. the facility states electricity to keep batteries hot. i would like to also keep my refrigerator on. i do not know if this will be too many amps for the 110 plug. does anyone know how many amps i can plug into 110?
karaokegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2009, 03:26 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
More than likely the 110 plug has a 20 amp breaker. The storage facility that we keep our MH at has a 20 amp breaker and I keep the refrigerator and charger plugged in. Usually, the amp draw is somewhere between 5 and 7 amps with both operating. Sometimes I turn the charger and refer off and can use one of the AC's but cannot with the charger and refer on. Eventually, all will come on at the same time and I have blown the breaker.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The Fridge usually draws between 5 & 8 amps, the battery charger does not draw a lot because it charges at a very low voltage. You do need to leave the 12 volt power on to run the Fridge. The Fridge and other fathom loads will use the 12 volts as well and this cycle could over long periods of time cause the battery to get less than a full charge. It would take awhile for that to happen though. Make sure you go every few weeks to check the distilled water in the batteries as the constant draw and charge cycles will use it up.

Jim
Old 08-06-2009, 03:34 AM   #4

It depends on the receptical, wiring and the breaker.

15 amp receptical:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...P-L&lpage=none

20 amp receptical:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...P-L&lpage=none

15 amps would be charger and refridgerator.

20 amps would be charger, refridgerator and 1 air conditioner.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

It will be either a 15A or 20A outlet, but you probably are not the only one using the circuit that feeds that outlet. The amp rating is for ALL the outlets on that circuit, so the full 15 or 20A may not be available to you. Unfortunately, you won't find out until the breaker trips, so don't leave spoilable food in the fridge until you have established a track record of successful use.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fridge 3-4 amps, Converter to keep batteries charged, 1-2 amps, converter if batteries need charging 10-20 amps.

So the answer depends a lot on your converter, if you have a 60 amp converter than you will NOT overload a 15 amp outlet with just the converter and fridge.

Bigger... You might dependign on SOC of the batteries. But simply turning off the fridge for 1 hour should fix that.