Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2020, 12:29 PM   #15

If you want to lose the big flap across the back of the coach, just mount two mud flaps, one each behind each set of rear dual tires aft the fender well...

My F53 26K chassis has them in lieu of the big flap across the back....

That will allow you to remain legal and yet not have that big, coach width, low hanging flap that often stirs up debris....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2020, 12:49 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdd View Post
The post on overheating and rear vs side radiator got me thinking. After 12 years I replaced my radiator and CAC mainly from corrosion. Shortly after buying our MH we installed a rear flap. It basically served no purpose and was nothing but a pain so a couple of years ago I removed it. Now it got me thinking that in earlier years I was forced to drive on roads that were salted. Looking back I now speculate that all that flap did was dam the road debris right in front of the radiator where it got drawn through the cooling system. This is on rear radiator DP. It's just theory but wouldn't mind hearing from others.
Desertdd, I removed ours and hung it up on the garage wall as some wall art (and for the next owner of the coach...hahaha) mainly for 3 reasons; 1) we often boondock and can find ourselves at odd angles leveling and we slightly damaged the decorative metal portion of the flap on our first adventure. and 2) as I do most of my own maintenance, I found it to be in the way when I am rolling around under the coach and 3) I can see no real value; I have towed my same equipment on other motorhomes without this "Ad Flap" and have not incurred any damage not having it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkathy View Post
Before you remove it check your state laws about it in az a class a has to have it. It is not a federal requiment but state to state.

If you have a cdl you may need to have them as well since they fall under safety equiment.

Also think about all the dash cams out now if you cause a cracked windshield and coaght on a dash cam you can be held lieable
[QUOTE=robertkathy;5566513]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
There is a clause in the law that states that it does not apply to: "A truck tractor or converter dolly when used in combination with another vehicle." I'm pretty sure a MH towing a car or a trailer would also come under this exception.[/QUOT

A.R.S. § 28-958.01 - Arizona's Vehicle Mud Flap Law
Robertkathy, it seems what you are referring to are the actual mud flaps which are typically hung directly behind the rear tires. This however, is not the "Ad Flap" the OP is asking about which spans the entire width of the coach.

So to differentiate....mud flaps may be required in your state directly behind your rear tires....but I guarantee the full width "Ad Flap" is not....
Old 12-21-2020, 01:18 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Flap ?

Just a lowly super "C" owner here, but looking to "move up ?".

My problem was that my generator is mounted about 4 ft right behind the duals, and was getting a lot of rocks and stuff in the intake. Cost about $2600.00 to have it rebuilt, So..........
I welded up a custom rock deflecting grille, and added a special rubber flap in front of the unit. Then.............
I added new flaps to the front and rear of the drive axle, and..........
Added a "brush style" 24" tall, full width flap at the rear of the coach.
= no rocks in the generator or on the toad............Yippee !

Mike in Colorado

PS; I cannot count how many folks I've talked to that say they have lost windshields by following a big DP with a hard rubber full width sail hanging too close to the pavement OR dragging the road and kicking up rocks.
I will never follow one at any distance !!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	generator grille 005.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	312033   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	312034  

Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 04:37 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
My ad flap looks nice. Out also stay very clean hanging on the wall. The front of the jeep doesn’t have gravel on it anymore too.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:27 PM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I like the looks of the full width flap. Newmar uses a black plastic full width flap which I never liked. I changed it to a Dura Flap (vendor on here). Their flap is made with rubber and built like a tank. It's nicer looking. If mounted at the correct height, the flap shouldn't throw rocks.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:13 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Have had the Country Coach full width rubber flap for 90,000 miles. Never a rock throwing problem to my knowledge.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:05 PM   #21

Also have had full width flap for years and no plans to take off.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:15 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I've had a full width flap for 12 years and never had a rock thrown up on my toad. I have seen MH's with their flap dragging the ground going through parking lots. That for sure will throw up debris. Keep the flap up and there is no problem.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 05:25 PM   #23

Have one on this one and previous class A. Personally like them and think they help keep the Jeep cleaner. Opinions vary on this but my personal experience is I like them and will keep mine in place.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 08:43 PM   #24
US1

Mine has the full width one right at the bumper and have considered taking it off. I think they create more turbulence and can send small pebbles and sand thru the air. Mine also gets caught between the ground and the rear frame guards (whatever those wedges are that hit first before anything else can when crossing a ditch/dip) every time I have to back out of my drive way. Flap has 2 spots almost ground thru where the frame guards are. Gotten to where I use rachet straps to bend it up and strap it to the the rear bumper, then undo when in street
Old 12-22-2020, 08:57 PM   #25

We like ours. It’s mounted half way between the duals and the bumper. Works good, no issues.
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:14 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We bought our 2002 DS in 2012, equipped by a previous owner with both a full width aftermarket flap and a Roadmaster rock guard. I read a few articles about these flaps, and learned that it must be mounted such that the bottom hangs min of 6-8” above ground. Otherwise it will stir up grit and pebbles.
I set mine to that height, but data does not support a conclusion since I also run with the Rock Guard. Later, I saw the Protect-a-Tow and thought this looked like the smartest innovation of all. I bought one, and use it.
At this point I think the flap contributes nothing since I also have an attached flap behind each dual set. But I also don’t think it does any harm, so I’ve left it be. However, I’m also of the opinion it does no harm, so I haven’t gotten around to removing it. It is old, quite beaten up, so ought to go.
I believe the PaT type of device is the best kind, and needs no other support. But I already have the Rock Guard, and it’s easy to use, so I use it. When I get around to it I’ll likely remove the big flap.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:54 AM   #27

This is good info to know ,thanks for posting.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:12 AM   #28

We still have ours in it's original wrapping from the factory...I refused to let the dealer put it on. As others have mentioned, mounted across the rear it would act as a rock-tosser as the compressed air under the vehicle suddenly encounters lower pressure as it exits the flap, pulling up smaller rocks from the road.

We've towed vehicles behind two motorhomes with no back flap, and have had no dings. I've met other folks with flaps that have tons of dings from rocks thrown up.

This does not apply to flaps directly behind each rear wheel...those work fine and do prevent rocks from the wheels being tossed up.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rear