Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2021, 02:19 PM   #43

Like others, we had the large flap at the rear of the motorhome for years. One day, our flap came off. I didn't replace it, and found that there was a lot less debris on our toad without it. Understand though, I have two good flaps behind the rear wheels that cover both wheels on each side. I am happy with this arrangement, and do not have any plans to replace that big flap at the rear of the MH.
Ed Headington is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2021, 02:45 PM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rear flap ?

In reading thru all these posts, it seems like the vote is 50/50 on a rear flap, or not

Now to further subdivide this group, which is better,
1. hard rubber / plastic full width rear flap, or,
2. a "brush style" full width rear flap ?

I refer you back to my post #17 for my solution to Jayco putting the generator at exactly the right distance behind the drive wheels to catch all the mud and rocks they kick up. Great thinking Jayco..........

As for me, I then added a full width brush style flap to protect the toad, which is on a Master tow dolly.
Two trips from Colorado to central Florida and back, and no chips on the toad, and mileage is not affected so far as I can tell.

Mike in Colorado
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 02:56 PM   #45

It seems that there are different results with and without the big flap. As I have posted in the past, we eliminated stone chips on the front of an enclosed trailer by removing it. Some say that I did not have it high enough off the road. That may have been the case, but removing it stopped all new stone chips on my freshly painted trailer. Other than looks, I have no reason to reinstall it at any height. I just don't see the need for it. My son had the same results with his Mountain Aire. I do not have individual wheel flaps either. No need.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:04 PM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The secret is to have the flap about 3 to 4’ in front of the rear bumper, and at least 5” above the ground surface. I had to cut mine twice to get the right height to not ever touch the road even when running through pot holes. The key is to never have the rear flap touch the ground.
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:17 PM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've given two rock throwers/OEM advertiser away. Less engine accessibility, less dirt/chips on car, 40# wt savings, better aerodynamics without, cleaner CAC and Rad.
Old 01-02-2021, 04:28 PM   #48
jrs

Took ours off after I couldn't raise it higher off the ground and don't miss it.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rear