Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2020, 07:59 AM   #1

How many are running a rear flap?

The post on overheating and rear vs side radiator got me thinking. After 12 years I replaced my radiator and CAC mainly from corrosion. Shortly after buying our MH we installed a rear flap. It basically served no purpose and was nothing but a pain so a couple of years ago I removed it. Now it got me thinking that in earlier years I was forced to drive on roads that were salted. Looking back I now speculate that all that flap did was dam the road debris right in front of the radiator where it got drawn through the cooling system. This is on rear radiator DP. It's just theory but wouldn't mind hearing from others.
desertdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2020, 08:12 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I plan to keep my flap installed.
I think it reduces the height/level of the "spray" of road grim exiting from under my rig, which is good for those vehicles behind me, and it looks good too.
My Coach is a side radiator.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:27 AM   #3

We've had the original flap on our 2008 (new to us in 2017) for over 20,000 of our miles - the toad has no extra dings, the radiator/CAC remains clean (we did have them cleaned which should be done periodically anyhow).

No radiator plugging or corrosion or overheating problems.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:27 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I have one on mine, it is mounted forward of the engine and at times it is rubbing on one of the coolant pipe clamps, I am thinking of moving it so it is below the radiator but also wonder if it will cause more dirt to be kicked up into the radiator. I have also debated on just removing it because I use a Tow defender. I bought this MH in June and I cleaned the radiator with a garden hose and the fluid test came back that the coolant needed flushed so I had that done
Old 12-21-2020, 08:28 AM   #5

I removed that big flap several years ago after finding so many stone chips on my custom painted enclosed trailer. After repainting the front of the trailer and removing the flap, no more stone chips. I do not have the small flaps behind the tires either. Some have adjusted the height of it to avoid chips, but I could never see the purpose of it, so it sits next to my garage where it can do no more harm. I doubt that the flap could create much of a dam effect, as it swings back with speed and it actually forces air down creating a downdraft that can cause small debri to become airborne.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:42 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Before you remove it check your state laws about it in az a class a has to have it. It is not a federal requiment but state to state.

If you have a cdl you may need to have them as well since they fall under safety equiment.

Also think about all the dash cams out now if you cause a cracked windshield and coaght on a dash cam you can be held lieable
robertkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkathy View Post
Before you remove it check your state laws about it in az a class a has to have it. It is not a federal requiment but state to state.

If you have a cdl you may need to have them as well since they fall under safety equiment.

Also think about all the dash cams out now if you cause a cracked windshield and coaght on a dash cam you can be held lieable
There is a clause in the law that states that it does not apply to: "A truck tractor or converter dolly when used in combination with another vehicle." I'm pretty sure a MH towing a car or a trailer would also come under this exception.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:29 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
There is a clause in the law that states that it does not apply to: "A truck tractor or converter dolly when used in combination with another vehicle." I'm pretty sure a MH towing a car or a trailer would also come under this exception.
A.R.S. § 28-958.01 - Arizona's Vehicle Mud Flap Law
Old 12-21-2020, 11:06 AM   #9

[QUOTE=robertkathy;5566513]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
There is a clause in the law that states that it does not apply to: "A truck tractor or converter dolly when used in combination with another vehicle." I'm pretty sure a MH towing a car or a trailer would also come under this exception.[/QUOT

A.R.S. § 28-958.01 - Arizona's Vehicle Mud Flap Law
I believe it only applies to a vehicle registered in AZ. If you are plated in another State your State laws determine what you must have. Example, some States require a front liscense plate, some do not. If you are registered in one that does not and drive into one that does, you do not need to get a front plate while in the State that does.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 11:13 AM   #10

Side Radiator and original mud flap is on.
We have had no issues with rock chips..but maybe we have been running the wrong roads?
I have heard it could be a height isse with the flap but cannot confirm that

Stay Safe,
greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 11:16 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
[QUOTE=TXTiger;5566640]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkathy View Post

I believe it only applies to a vehicle registered in AZ. If you are plated in another State your State laws determine what you must have. Example, some States require a front liscense plate, some do not. If you are registered in one that does not and drive into one that does, you do not need to get a front plate while in the State that does.
each state
https://www.minimania.com/pdfile/Mud_Flap_Laws_NETA.pdf
Old 12-21-2020, 11:45 AM   #12

I'm not sure of the odds I will be cited for no mud flap on my coach. I'm always towing my Avalanche or a flat trailer. In either case I don't see where debri from my rear wheels would ever cause a problem for someone following. Because anything I tow is cleaner with no flap, I'll continue the same.

My sons 2018 Newell did not come with a flap either. He had so much stone damage on his enclosed trailer behind his 2016 Mountain Aire that stopped when it was removed. Why ask for trouble??
Old 12-21-2020, 11:48 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
We had our rear flap "liberated". Found that after it was gone the amount of debris hitting the trailer and causing damage was substantially reduced. Do not plan on replacing it.
Old 12-21-2020, 12:23 PM   #14

I will add that I noticed the flaps behind the dual wheels only covered the outside tire. I extended the flap horizontally to cover both tires. Also some coaches have higher ground clearance in the rear and mine sits quite low. I pull a trailer or a toad and most of the dirt appears seems to be from the air flowing through the radiator from the rear radiator.
desertdd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rear