Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2022, 09:01 PM   #1

How many driving hours are you comfortable doing in one day on long distance trips?

New Discovery 38W on order, first diesel pusher. Will be picking up near the east coast but having to drive back out South West to bring it home. Previous rig was an F350 pulling a 29' toy hauler and never did any trips over 8 hours from home. Question is how many hours each day do you limit yourself driving on long trips? I've driven cross country before but in a passenger car doing 12 to 14 hrs per day. In my younger years I worked for an Indy Car team and 2 of us drove a Chevy Dually w/a 42' 3 axle goose neck enclosed trailer none stop from Indy to LA a few times over 3 year period. What do most retirees limit themselves to drive a Class A in one day and still feel safe driving?
bradcary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2022, 09:04 PM   #2
Community Moderator

5 -6 hours towing a 16,600 lb GVWR fifth wheel trailer with a Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L diesel DRW truck.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:23 PM   #3

How many driving hours are you comfortable doing in one day on long distance trips?

Your answers will be all over the map. There are several threads on the subject.

It depends on what you personally are comfortable with. It also depends on how challenging your particular rig is to drive. It also depends on the roads and traffic you are traveling in. Only you can judge how many hours are safe for you to drive.

I used to drive 12-14 hours straight. But have found on my latest trip that 7 hours is about all I want. Those one day drives each way to see family have turned into 2 days each way.

40’ DP

I’m 62 and still work full time, so still a weekend warrior.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:23 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Wife and I try to stay under 300 per day. But, we are retired and not under time restraints anymore. 37 ft Class A DP.
Pez Vela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:24 PM   #5

I’ve done several 2,000 miles trips almost straight through. I don’t have any set driving hours. I drive till I’m tired and will then take a nap. Those naps can last one to four hours and then I get behind the wheel again driving day and night yet resting whenever I get tired. Sometimes I can only drive two hours before needing another nap and sometimes I can go eight.

General speaking this allows me to drive 18 out of 24 hours. I can only do this for two days before needing to get an eight hour rest. I did this last fall going from Seattle to Texas. On the return trip I took ten days if I remember right. Four to six hours is comfortable if I want to enjoy the sights.
HenryH001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:27 PM   #6

8 to 10 hours per day. We travel from WI to AZ 1900 miles in 4 to 4.5 days depending on weather. Travel 62-65 mph with 46,000# weight including toad. We'll be 80 on next birthday.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:53 PM   #7

Once the coach door closes we are not an any hurry.
Like.to be stopped and set up before dark...meet new folks have a beverage of ones choice and enjoy the journey

Weather going to be nasty wait it out and relax warm cozy and not stressed

Nice to be at this point in our lives

6 to 7 hrs but hey maybe stop at a non planned destination

Enjoy
Greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 11:03 PM   #8

Our limit is around 150 to 200 miles a day. Yes, we've gone longer when we can't find a decent place to spend the night.

Generally, we'll do about 3 days in a row then spend a couple of nights in one place that seems interesting so we can recuperate...

More than that and it just seems like work and we're retired and had done full-timing for a few years and learned to take it easy.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 03:16 AM   #9

Driving my Discovery 39s is much easier and less fatiguing than when we had a 5er. I'm still young and I can do 12 hours of driving pretty comfortably. The rig is super easy to setup for an overnight whether it be in a parking lot or CG. So I don't worry about daylight for setup.

I can also stand up and stretch while driving. This is a huge thing for me. With the truck and 5er I had to stop every 2 hours for a stretch. Wife can get me snacks and drinks. Don't have to pull over for her to go potty. Lots of things makes the DP much easier to gobble up miles than the truck and 5er.
Old 01-28-2022, 04:33 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
Your answers will be all over the map. There are several threads on the subject.

It depends on what you personally are comfortable with. It also depends on how challenging your particular rig is to drive. It also depends on the roads and traffic you are traveling in. Only you can judge how many hours are safe for you to drive.

I used to drive 12-14 hours straight. But have found on my latest trip that 7 hours is about all I want. Those one day drives each way to see family have turned into 2 days each way.

40’ DP

I’m 62 and still work full time, so still a weekend warrior.
yep what he said.. I have done 20+ straight, normal is 10ish +/- , If a start before dawn or close to it, I can go til dusk... again, terrain is the key for me,, flat and open,,, go og,, mountains and it gets stressful.. to me anyway..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 04:41 AM   #11

Welcome aboard. Always glad to have new friends at our campfire.

We are retired so we don't travel far per day. Usually 2-4 hours. If the weather is bad, we stay where we are. No rush.

Congratulations on your new coach. Wish you many happy miles.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 04:52 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
40’ DP pulling a Jeep Wrangler. Retired & 67. No time constraints.

If we have a ‘destination’, usually 6-7 hrs max.
If we’re ‘sightseeing’ , I use the rules-of-3.

300 miles OR
Off the road by 3PM OR
Driving time of 3HRS

This is quite leisurely and helps find a landing spot well before dusk sets in. No driving after dusk.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 05:04 AM   #13

I'm perfectly comfortable driving and have done 600 miles in a gas class A. As I recall that was about 12 hours. We were rolling at 7:00am and stopped at 6:00pm after crossing a time zone headed west. We were in go-home mode at the time.

When in vacation mode we're more laid back and will do 350ish a day; make it 7 hours or so. We've even done as little as 100 in sight seeing areas. But when it's go-home time it's Katy bar the door

We're pulling a small trailer with a pickup now and planning a 10,000 mile trip this summer to Alaska. Our days are planned out to about a 350-mile max to Anchorage. Then we'll just head to the house. I expect to do that 4000 miles in 10 days.

As Rob_M said earlier, your answers are all over the board. You have to decide what's comfortable for you.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:22 AM   #14

37' DP pulling F150. We will do about 250 miles a day, sometimes more and sometimes less (depends on what RV parks are available in that mile range). We are retired and in no hurry. We will typically do two days and rest a day, but have gone 3 when required. We have found that we both got a little cranky with each other when we did 400 miles and by the 2nd day we knew it was time to take a break from the road. We dialed it down to the 250 mark and we are usually settled in by 3-4PM for a relaxing evening.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote