Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2022, 02:15 PM   #113
JVH

Send a message via ICQ to JVH Send a message via AIM to JVH Send a message via Yahoo to JVH Send a message via Skype™ to JVH
For me it is simple. I drive until I am tired.
When I first got my coach, I had some stress with driving it, so I drove less hours.
Now that I have had it for 16 years, I just drive by how I am feeling.

I usually have a campground at my destination, but just stop and sleep along the way.

Rest stops, truck stops, walmart, Bass pro, cracker barrel, etc.

If I didn't sleep well I have been known to stop and take a nap during the day.
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2022, 03:28 PM   #114

We try to keep trips under 350 miles per day. Less is better and with so many variables to consider from weather to highways to less quality-of-life issues under 300 works best. Being retired is also a consideration we have. The 3-rule is not a bad standard although for the most part trips over multiple states recently have not been for a 3-day stop of which I would like to change. Gone are the 750-800 mile trips when I was a lot younger and not quite as wisdom enhanced nor physically able.
ferrisjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 03:31 PM   #115

We have driven 14+ hours before. Never again though. That was with a 45’ Class A. We have a 5er and a Ram 3500 now and, to me, I could drive 14+ hours with it. However, for me the question is safely driving X number of hours. Now, we don’t go over 8 at the very most. I had rather drive 4-6 hours and get some downtime before heading back out.
Wilkie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 05:22 PM   #116

I'm good with 8-10 hours (500-600 miles), but we generally drive straight through from Disney World (to StL). That is 1,000 miles and about 16 hours.

j
Vizjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 05:35 PM   #117

Read the first half of the thread and see repeating themes...

Like a bunch of you, in our earlier (working) years we did A LOT of long haul driving to/from races (pulling race car and trailer) - my wife's an excellent driver (multi-time SCCA National Champion) and shares the driving load - we would do "hot swaps" on these thousand mile+ one way to national race tows: person in back seat of extended cab pickup climbs over into driver's seat position while retiring driver slides to the middle, still steering and truck on cruise, new driver in place and retired driver climbs in back to the made up "bed" to try and catch some winks.

Hours-wise we did the longest straight drive of 42 hours going from SF bay area to all corners of Oregon and back home, shopping for a horse in a Chevy Tahoe + 2 horse trailer, including 7 hours in blinding snow, with a diabetic cat that needed shots 3x per day (man was he a trooper!).

Back to: now that we're Much Older and the original Q...

Our 32' DP is a handful to put it mildly on the highway, maybe a bit steadier with the Jeep or 3 horse in tow? So we try to pick a rest stop at around 100 miles and swap drivers - if one of us has a particularly grueling drive or known tough section, we'll shift that some, but still target a couple of hundred miles a day and at least an overnight stay.

I imagine there's only a few here that have driven Highway 36 in CA from I-5 to Highway 101 near the coast? We towed our Jeep over that SOB, only because that year we had an Oregon coast 3 week trip planned out, and our original starting route on day ONE and then several optional routes, were all Closed because of fires.

Learned a lot about how capable our rig was on that leg - gotta' love an Allison 3000 in a shorty! And a diesel genset, as it was 110 degrees, so house ACs had to be on... My lovely wife drove the toughest part of that very, very, very, long day of "short miles" - we nicknamed hwy 36 The Highway From Hell...

So I ordered a Safe-T-Steer last night and hope it is all that I've read about, here and elsewhere. Maybe we'll push it up to 300 miles a day?!

OP: Enjoy the new rig and figure out for yourselves what works best for you - I don't see us ever going 5er after having this Class A...
Old 02-04-2022, 07:26 PM   #118

Driving hours

It all different for everyone. Just come to Florida from Kentucky. Took 12 1/2 hrs. I left at dinner and arrived at rv park at 1:30 in the morning. I like driving at night because of less traffic. I’m a late nighter so was not a problem. Always like to go thru Atlanta at night. Drive till you fill tired but do not get in a hurry. I also pulled a full size Chevy pickup behind my 44’ Motorhome.
Gary Keeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 07:29 PM   #119

Driving hours

It all different for everyone. Just come to Florida from Kentucky. Took 12 1/2 hrs. I left at dinner and arrived at rv park at 1:30 in the morning. I like driving at night because of less traffic. I’m a late nighter so was not a problem. Always like to go thru Atlanta at night. Drive till you fill tired but do not get in a hurry. I also pulled a full size Chevy pickup behind my 44’ Motorhome.
Gary Keeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 08:44 AM   #120

I like the 933 plan: Leave no later than 9 AM, plan on around 300 miles travel +or- and be at your next camp site by 3 PM.
vancas4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 10:37 AM   #121

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
4-6 hours for me, driving a 35' Class A

I am a sightseer so many times take non direct routes just to see stuff. I'm retired and have all the time that I want.

You will see all kinds of different answers. Do what is comfortable for you.
Old 02-05-2022, 10:40 AM   #122

Ford Super Duty Owner
Have a 36 foot diesel class c towing a Jeep Renegade. Wife and I are retired and try to keep driving distance to 300 miles. We like to see the country and are not pressed for time
sailor53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 11:10 AM   #123

We have zero idea how far we will drive each day. It depends on many factors for us, like weather, time frame, time of year. But 200 - 600 miles a day if we are driving during optimum conditions..We boondock 99% of time so we like to get setup before dark..
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 12:20 PM   #124

Same as my old work day. 9 to 5 including breaks. We usually cover 425 miles but depending on traffic 275 to 500.
Old 02-05-2022, 06:57 PM   #125

We try 300 miles. I try to be in a road side rest for the night at 4 to 5 a clock so we get a parking spot. We have a 43' toy hauler and I try to get in before it fills up.
Craig Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:17 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancas4 View Post
I like the 933 plan: Leave no later than 9 AM, plan on around 300 miles travel +or- and be at your next camp site by 3 PM.
LOVE YOUR 933 plan, but for me to remember it....?

I will call it the 93003 RV ZIP CODE!
alpenlite29 is offline   Reply With Quote