Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2011, 11:09 PM   #113

Monaco Owners Club
I'm new to the list here, but just "leased" my new to me 1996 38' Safari Serengetti 300Hp Cat. I used the smart lease plan...1 easy first payment of all down, and nothing a month and zero % financing

I, too, fall in the camp of believing all toys must be paid for with cash. BTW, I enjoy the list and am looking forward to learning and sharing with everyone.
Jon from WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #114

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I pay cash for all my toys.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:10 PM   #115

Fleetwood Owners Club
My MH is not my Toy. It is my home.
But I did pay cash for it over 9 years ago, paid cash also for my toad & my only toy a HD Bike.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #116

Just remember, liquid assets are everything. If your plan includes the ability to sell your RV if things get tight, keep in mind that for practical purposes you will be paying an astronomical interest rate when you factor in the depreciation loss.

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #117

Fleetwood Owners Club
Paid cash for the old Pace Arrow back in 2000 and it is a ''2000'' model. I have paid cash for everything since I bought my wife Linda a 69 Marc I Mustang off the showroom floor in Winston Salem. My rule is that '' If I aint got the coin, I just keep walking''....... besides, I am too old for payments now.......

Thank you vets for our freedoms.....
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:44 AM   #118

Am just turning 65. 4 homes paid for just purchased a 1983 Vogue mh. It's paid for. Own somewhere around 15 cars no payments. Been rv'ing for 35 yrs. With no payments plan to spend a lot more time rv'ing in comfort not to worry about bills. Although I understand that some of us that have older RV's can't rent a campsite just anywhere amoung all of these fancy new ones.
maxie548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #119
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
Title in hand. Free and clear and love it.
YES! We were lucky and sold our house and acreage (2.34) in 2004. After 37 years it certainly paid off big time. MH was paid off earlier (thanks, aunt Helen), bought 2 lots in the woods near the grand kids and put a modular S & B on one lot. We were able to pay cash for replacement vehicles and several toys. Our financial advisor has also done good work for us to avoid the latest financial problems.

For many years we did without a lot of toys and saved via company retirement funds, IRA's and the stock market. It is now paying off quite nicely
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #120

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We full time and believe the only way to go is no payments. We own everything and paid cash, no better feeling.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:05 PM   #121

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I own everything I need within the confines of my RV, except the road under my tires. Hopefully all my years of paying taxes will cover that, because I don't make enough to pay taxes anymore

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #122

My Wife and I promised ourselves that we wouldn't buy one until we could pay cash for it. Was able to buy one used last year and have not looked back...
Old 04-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #123

Vintage RV Owners Club
All toys paid for.....including MH...may not be much but they are ours...
Old 04-06-2011, 10:47 PM   #124
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
This survey is usually flawed. First question should be how old are you? Many people are retired and bought their motor home with a house sale, refinance, inheritance or retirement payout. If you believe everyone in this post, it would appear that 95% or better of the nation owns there motor home. I doubt it.

You also need to ask.....did someone save for 20 years to buy their RV for cash and miss out on 20 years of RVing. Do you make $100,000.00 a year and buy a $3000.00 motor home and then talk about how you paid cash.

We've had RV's for 36 years. They were all financed and either eventually paid off or traded in. I still owe on my current coach, but will pay it off with a cash buy out when I retire this year. That doesn't make me a cash buyer. I've had a great career, never lived outside of my means and have been RVing since I was 19 years old. My tow adult children have been on trips all over the western US and Canada and now both have RV's.

There's a country song where this guy is a short little nerd until he comes home from work, enters his basement apartment at his parents house, fires up his computer and suddenly becomes 6'2" muscle bound stud. Think about it.

I'm not being critical here.....just honest and realistic.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:10 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
This survey is usually flawed. First question should be how old are you? Many people are retired and bought their motor home with a house sale, refinance, inheritance or retirement payout. If you believe everyone in this post, it would appear that 95% or better of the nation owns there motor home. I doubt it.
I have to agree with Don. There is no basis to make any assumption based on this survey. But here's another angle...If you were buying a house in this current economy, I believe you would be advised to NOT pay cash. Owning a home, any home, is not a good investment. Not that investing is either, but if done properly, you will lose less money in a bank than you will owning a motor home, even if you are full time and this is your only 'home'. Making payments make it easier to recover if you change your mind before the unit is 'past it's prime', or you just change your mind. Think about it!

But the true travelers are they who leave for leaving’s sake
Saying continuously, without knowing why: ‘Let us go on’.
Paraphrased from Baudelaire’s ‘The Journey’
thelastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:23 AM   #126

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
"Cash talks / Bullsh&%$#!" walks....never borrowed a dime. Can't afford it, don't buy it. Nice living debt-free

But like all of us, been feeling the pinch of higher fuel prices and everything else in life: higher water bills, increased sewer bills, insurance going up, yet another school tax levy, higher campsite fees at the state parks, reduced pension in the future that one really hurts , but I'm sure glad I'm where I'm at...rather than having to scrap up $$$ for monthly payments....Or deciding what not to pay...
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote