Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2015, 09:32 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
thanks for the post... we kept trying to go there but either the motorhome was in the shop.. (sat there for a mon. with no parts to fix the wheel) or on the way or waiting for the new one to replace...

we just went through hell over bad motorhomes... every day on the phone for hours... never an answer that you could sleep with... never knowing is the coach would be fixed, fixed right .. and would it be safe...
so after all the mental melt down caused to us by ford... and the repeated failures,.. then the same thing happening on the next coach..... we (I) had all the problem one could take...

not to mention loading and unloading everything...

and after all this has happened, I don't want pitty or anyone feeling any kind of sorrow for us ... I would like to just move on....

it's not as bad as it seems and I look to the bright side of life ,, we live very well and a little set back makes you appreciate the good things in life...

I'm not one to make fun of others misfortune,.. and those that do I don't any respect for them.. they do this on message board everywhere...

but at the same time ... when they do they should post a pic of themselves.... you know... so I can see what a perfect person looks like....lol
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2015, 09:53 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
For starters if the price went to list instead of 30% off for a start then we could bitch about quality with an expectation they should fix it. As it stands it's there really is not enough money in the deal to cover the inspections and repairs at the factory before shipping. Poor quality is the price we pay for cheap deals.
I would think the manufactor sets the price..

charge enough to do it right... or get out of the game..
Old 04-05-2015, 10:03 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Basically you get exactly what you paid for...the more money you pay for the coach the less you will need to have fixed.

Whether it is linear or logarithmic I am not sure but my guess is the latter.

Do you have an extra million laying around?

BTW, I have never purchased new. I have only owned a few new cars in my lifetime that's about it. Never owned a new house. I guess I am one of those "hand me down" type of guys.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:12 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Basically you get exactly what you paid for...the more money you pay for the coach the less you will need to have fixed.

Whether it is linear or logarithmic I am not sure but my guess is the latter.

Do you have an extra million laying around?

BTW, I have never purchased new. I have only owned a few new cars in my lifetime that's about it. Never owned a new house. I guess I am one of those "hand me down" type of guys.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
lol... what you are say'n is you have to pay them to do it..and you have to pay more to have them do it right???
Old 04-05-2015, 10:22 PM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
I do believe you get what you pay for. My previous 5th wheel served us well for 17K mi, with minimal problems. However, we immediately changed the tires due to their reputation for blowouts. ($2200). Also, the wiring and plumbing behind the basement wall would make anyone roll their eyes. It was a chaotic mess with little to no QC. The woodwork and cabinets would never last more than 10 years.

There is no comparison between the 5th wheel and our current motorhome. Everything on the MADP is organized, labeled, and built like a tank. This all comes at a price, since the MSRP of our 8 YO rig was 5X the MSRP of our 5th wheel, 5 years earlier.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:32 PM   #48

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
I would think the manufacturer sets the price..

charge enough to do it right... or get out of the game..

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:32 PM   #49

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I would think the manufactor sets the price..
You would think so. However, just like automobiles, the retail price of RV's is actually more a function of the people that sell it, the dealerships.

The big dealers typically make more profit from the sale of an RV than the manufacturer.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:39 PM   #50

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
You would think so. However, just like automobiles, the retail price of RV's is actually more a function of the people that sell it, the dealerships.

The big dealers typically make more profit from the sale of an RV than the manufacturer.
While this may arguably be the truth, it still does not change the fact that it is the manufacturer that determines and controls the quality of the product it manufactures.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:28 AM   #51

Thor Owners Club
Not even reading the posts, because who is going to say "No, I paid a bunch of money so I could fix my brand new toy/house." ???

What is the point of this thread other than bumping post counts...
MeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:24 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSteve View Post
Not even reading the posts, because who is going to say "No, I paid a bunch of money so I could fix my brand new toy/house." ???

What is the point of this thread other than bumping post counts...
so why did you post??? there are a bunch that said just that..
Old 04-06-2015, 05:29 AM   #53

The price is set by the competition and the customer. Thor and Forest river set the bottom with their "entry level" stuff. They have gotten into a situation where quantity trumps quality to get it on the dealer floor.

The customer and dealer are in "deal mode" where the sale price is never the sticker price so margins are not reliable.

None of the process is willing to pay the worker out on the line for quality work or the purchasing department for buying the best or the repair department for "doing it right". It's about fast and cheap because faster is cheaper all the way through the process.

Think about why a 30 ft Newmar costs $25-30,000 more than a 30 ft ACE or Axis when they have the same basic running gear.

Change the culture or live with the system.

I would prefer to change the system but since I cannot I am just happy modern materials are as good as they are.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:54 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
From personal experience my previous employer paid $20-$200 million per piece of equipment. Each one had a punch list to work through and a post delivery warranty period from Boeing.

If all you shop for is price, then when you take delivery you have received what you were shopping for. Why are you complaining?

Oh…you want service and quality? You will have to shop for that also. What, you want price, service and quality? That is the elusive Chimera. I've found two dealerships that have the latter two. Not surprisingly, they are never the cheapest.

This is also why I don't favor buying new. It is also why I have a very short list I use to screen the MH's I look at. Tag Axle, Aqua-Hot and Air Leveling.

YMMV
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:13 AM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
thanks for the post... we kept trying to go there but either the motorhome was in the shop.. (sat there for a mon. with no parts to fix the wheel) or on the way or waiting for the new one to replace...

we just went through hell over bad motorhomes... every day on the phone for hours... never an answer that you could sleep with... never knowing is the coach would be fixed, fixed right .. and would it be safe...
so after all the mental melt down caused to us by ford... and the repeated failures,.. then the same thing happening on the next coach..... we (I) had all the problem one could take...

not to mention loading and unloading everything...

and after all this has happened, I don't want pitty or anyone feeling any kind of sorrow for us ... I would like to just move on....

it's not as bad as it seems and I look to the bright side of life ,, we live very well and a little set back makes you appreciate the good things in life...

I'm not one to make fun of others misfortune,.. and those that do I don't any respect for them.. they do this on message board everywhere...

but at the same time ... when they do they should post a pic of themselves.... you know... so I can see what a perfect person looks like....lol
Life is short. So you have to make the best of every situation. Good, bad and indeffirent. The hard thing to do, but the key to success, is keeping emotions out of it.

I have had so many things go wrong in my life that I'm more happy when nothing goes wrong than I am upset when they do. I have known people who have live a charmed life and don't understand how I sail through problems. And when they finally hit a bump they go nuts... I give them the advice... make the best of it. It's only temporary. No matter how bad it seems. This too shall pass. The sun will shine and you'll be fine.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:23 AM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

lol... what you are say'n is you have to pay them to do it..and you have to pay more to have them do it right???
YUP, you have finally got it!

If you want it done right and not have to fix it then cough up the dough.

Otherwise, be happy with what you got and can afford.

This situation is NOT exclusive to RV's.

Just look at the amount of product that is no longer made in the Good Ole USA.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote