RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2018, 08:39 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Although I don't make a habit of it I have run mine down till the low fuel light has come on. Filled up as soon as the light stayed steady and it took 125 gal., so I figure the 25 gal. left over would get me at least 125- 150 miles. But like I said I don't make a habit of it and usually start looking around the 1/2 mark !
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2018, 09:05 PM   #44

Two years ago coming back to California from Utah, we filled up just west of Salt Lake City. I figured that even with afternoon head winds, I'd have more than enough to reach Fernley, NV. It was relatively cool and only had to run the generator for a couple of hours in the late afternoon.

Well, the next morning the winds weren't as calm as had been forecasted. About 100 miles from Fernley the low fuel light came on, and I started to worry some. Though I have always guessed I have about 150 miles until I run completely after the light comes on. As the winds continued, the needle kept going lower and lower on the gauge and the miles to go didn't seem to be passing as quickly as I hoped. Needless to say I was getting more and more concerned.
We finally reached Fernley, thank goodness, and as I was filling the tank, I was curious to see just how close I had come to running out. I had always thought the coach had a 75 gallon tank, but the pump cruised right past 75 and ending up at about 77.5 gallons, I realized how thankful I was that it was actually an 80 gallon tank! Otherwise I (and my family) would have been stranded on the side of I-80 about 20 miles back! I swear that I did not intend to go that low and have never gone much below a 1/4 of a tank, and definitely not if didn't know exactly where the next has station is.
On a side note, I have had it down below 1/4 if a tank when we were less than 50 miles from home, and know where all the local stations are and only want to get the CHEAP gas at our local Costco. Interestingly, the generator has continued to run until that point. I have not had it run so low as to find out when it will shut off. I guess the day they built my MH, the person felt generous with the pick up hose and gave me a little extra. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing...
Percival6 is offline   Reply With Quote