Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2015, 11:03 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Awesome feedback everyone. Sounds like most of us are of the same mindset, at least of the ones who have replied.

Glad to see you are happy with your current rigs. My wife informed me that on our next long trip in May the coach will roll over that 100k mile mark and I jokingly told her that my goal was to see the odometer on our rig roll over to 200k but don't know if that will happen.

I do see us with possibly one more coach, eventually. Here is my reasoning or thinking anyways, 10, 15 and even 20 years on a mid-level DP is not impossible. However, 30+ although it possible by chassis and drivetrain means, that is a lot of age and miles to be bouncing down the road and to not have issues.

My wife and I are only in our mid-40's and our coach is just now 12 years old. If we get it repainted next year and keep it another 12-14 years, we would still be in our late 50's and hopefully, Lord willing, a lot of years left in us to RV. Probably more years than our Dynasty has in it.

Our plan is to keep the 03 Dynasty, get it repainted and freshen up the interior in the next 1-2 years then keep it mechanically and cosmetically maintained for the next 10+ years which will be about the time we hope to retire. Where our Dynasty will be paid off here soon, that is a lot of money each month we can stash away to a "future coach fund" and pay cash for the next one. At retirement time, 10-12 years yet, buy one more upon retirement that will hopefully carry us through our days traveling. Until then my goal is to rack up as many miles on the old Dynasty as I possibly can.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2015, 11:16 AM   #16

We bought our coach in 2000 with 52,000 miles on it. We are now at about 163,000 miles, but frankly haven't used it much in the last 15 months due to taking care of my dad. We keep our coach good mechanical shape, the only issue is the peeling clearcoat. Once my dad is gone, we plan to get out on the road again. While we really like the coach, we are planning to replace it with a newer coach, we have a list of wants that it would be impossible or impractical to do with this one. However, we would not have any qualms about keeping this one if we change our mind about getting a newer coach.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:34 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
We bought our current coach with 25k miles on it almost 2 years ago and now have 33k on it. It is our best coach yet and we see ourselves in it for the next 10 years easy. This is our 8th RV in the past 23 years. We started out with a 73 Lifetime 24' MH for $2,900 and fixed it up, then retailed it and took that money and bought the next one and did the same thing. In total we've had 5 used MH's and 2 new 5th wheels. One MH and one fifth wheel we ended up keeping for 8 years each. The others were just vehicles we used to advance our money to get to the next level. We still like to look at other coaches, but both agree that this coach has everything we could possibly want and drives like a dream. We all know, that no matter what it is or how much it costs, it is going to need maintenance and repairs. So you find what you like and can afford and enjoy it. I have a saying on my desk at work that says, "Everything man makes breaks, Everything God makes dies" I refer my customers to that sign when they ask me if they should purchase an extended warranty. Randy
Old 03-26-2015, 11:35 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How Many Miles on Your DP/Still Happy

Z...... We bought our '02 DutchStar in '12 with 47K on it, and have been fulltiming since day 1. Now it's pushing 70K. Toad is an '04 Element we bought new, that now has 150K. Both running fine, no plans to change.

Some folks look on a vehicle as a piece of equipment that reliably fulfills a purpose. Some folks look on a vehicle as a publicly displayed life scorecard, or in some cases a testosterone barometer. Some folks just like new stuff; some simply can't afford anything else. Whatever your category, it doesn't matter.

I tend to fall into the first category. Take care of your tools, and they will take care of you. With proper care and maintenance I can easily envision both of our vehicles running another 15 years or so. After that, who knows? By then the decision will likely be up to our son!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:06 PM   #19

Bought new 2007 rev in 08 still love it with 28,000 miles still looks great and smells new.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:48 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
We bought our 1st RV 3 years ago, new. Learned real fast that you are immediately upside down. Luckily it was a small enough amount of money to overcome, w/o rolling it into the next one. We bought the current rig with longevity in mind and like you, I was looking at the bones. We knew it looked good and sampled oil and everything else that could be done. It was after we purchased, that I discovered for sure how well it had been maintained and serviced by the original owner. I think we will hang onto it for many years. We will probably only average 5-6K per year until I retire.

I admire the older rigs that are in pristine condition. I often think of past trucks or cars that I have owned and how cool they would be to have now. I look at our RV, and wonder if we will have one of those in 10 - 15 years, if we keep it in pristine condition and the electronics updated.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post

I admire the older rigs that are in pristine condition. I often think of past trucks or cars that I have owned and how cool they would be to have now. I look at our RV, and wonder if we will have one of those in 10 - 15 years, if we keep it in pristine condition and the electronics updated.
I see no reason why you can't have yours that long or longer. Your is probably built better than mine. We put on about the same milage per year as you. I'm hoping to keep this one until retirement in ten years of so and then see were we are at. Mines a 1998 so it's about 18 years old now and still looks fairly good.

mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:54 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We have 26k on our AC DP. However, if you check NADA for value, if the coach you are checking is diesel, the form says, "Ignore if diesel." Bottom line...mileage on a diesel is irrelevant.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:04 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
" Bottom line...mileage on a diesel is irrelevant.
I don't know if I would say miles are irrelevant, just depends on if you are using/enjoying a coach with high miles it or selling one with high miles that determines whether or not the miles are relevant. Funny how that works.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:14 PM   #24

We just traded our 1990 class C for a Winnebago 2003 Journey DL with 87000 miles with 2years to retirement
corba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:24 PM   #25

We bought a 2003 Allegro Bus with 15K miles on it in August 2013. Since then, we have upgraded electronics, shades, some cabinets, etc. and added a new satellite dish. We are now at about 23,500 miles and counting. Everything is in good working order and we love the coach, so we plan to keep it into and maybe through retirement. That being said, never say never! We might come across a deal we can't refuse, but we aren't looking.
znt1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:27 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
We bought our 2001 Windsor last year with 92,000 miles on it.
Now has over 112,000.
Love it.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:28 PM   #27

We picked up our 03 TS last fall with 80k on the clock ... it had been very well cared for and maintained. And tho we've had some minor things needing replaced like shower door wheels and minor adjustments made, are very thankful to have found this coach. As we begin our annual tour, i have every confidence it will do a fine job for us ... and yes, we consider it to be our last Bus (its really our first as well). But we're the same way when it come to buying/selling our 'equipment'. We try to get exactly what we need/want and do with it till it dies (sorta speak). Tho we do have a degree of attachment, it is after all just 'equipment' (tools). We take care of it ... it takes care of us ........
Interesting post .... thanks for starting this Mike !!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:30 PM   #28

We bought our 04 Beaver in 2007 with 28,000 miles on it. We now have 98,000 and are very happy. We go to the RV shows, come home and look at what we have and realize how lucky we are. We got a lot more in our coach than we even knew we wanted but now would be hard pressed to be without. Can't replace the old girl, and wouldn't want to.
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote