RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2017, 11:59 AM   #85

To be clear, is the RV incapable of towing the jeep or does the current jeep's configuration exceed the weight rating? If it is the weight rating, I say hook up the Jeep and enjoy the ride, at least put it on a dolly and see how it does before you dump it.
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited(his)
bamaspiveys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2017, 12:31 PM   #86

I agree it should not be just the money.

So far, DH likes driving to car and likes to feel he is helping me (blocking traffic for merges, extra set of eyes for tight spots, able to run an errand if needed, able to be a scout if needed).

If as a new rv driver you find it helpful, sure to tell your wife she is helping you and caring for you by driving separately, not just transporting the Jeep.

As full timers we are together a whole lot in a small space as well as side trips in the car, so being apart an hour or two every couple weeks is hardly an issue.

I am pretty sure we use more fuel in chase car than MH would consume towing. Plus the small increase in maintence with the increase in miles on the car. On the other hand, getting set up to tow would cost us quite a bit of money...sell current car (loved, trouble free, and paid for), buy a good toad for 4 down (light weight for our current gasser, not the car we would ordinarily select), buy tow equipment, have said equipment installed (too much for us to manage DIY). We are only expecting to put about 3,000 miles on MH this year;; that's a pretty small divisor. This is our "starter" motorhome and we could trade up any time it strikes our fancy. A DP would allow much greater chose of toads, another reason to wait. For us, one months slips quickly and happily into the next; so far nothing has happened to cause us to to stop the chase car method, though someday we will probably get set up to tow.

Enjoy the Jeep. Enjoy your new lifestyle. Try the chase car for a while. There is no single right way to enjoy full timing. You will tow when you two are ready for that change.
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:37 PM   #87

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cost wise, a chase trip is never cheaper, but on the really short trips, the reduction and wear and tear on the body for loading and unloading the dolly twice, plus the benefit of a couple of hours of driving without the wife's chatter, theatrics and back seat driving is worth the extra fuel.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:29 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaspiveys View Post
To be clear, is the RV incapable of towing the jeep or does the current jeep's configuration exceed the weight rating? If it is the weight rating, I say hook up the Jeep and enjoy the ride, at least put it on a dolly and see how it does before you dump it.
Both. The stock Jeep exceeds the 4000 lbs between GVWR and GCWR and the Jeep is loaded with heavy mods making it even heavier. I can whittle away at both ends (make Jeep lighter and carry less stuff in the MH) and I might meet in the middle but considering I don't have the MH yet, that's not an option right now. BTW, Jeeps don't need dollies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyG View Post
I am pretty sure we use more fuel in chase car than MH would consume towing. Plus the small increase in maintence with the increase in miles on the car. On the other hand, getting set up to tow would cost us quite a bit of money...sell current car (loved, trouble free, and paid for), buy a good toad for 4 down (light weight for our current gasser, not the car we would ordinarily select), buy tow equipment, have said equipment installed (too much for us to manage DIY). We are only expecting to put about 3,000 miles on MH this year;; that's a pretty small divisor. This is our "starter" motorhome and we could trade up any time it strikes our fancy. A DP would allow much greater chose of toads, another reason to wait. For us, one months slips quickly and happily into the next; so far nothing has happened to cause us to to stop the chase car method, though someday we will probably get set up to tow.

Enjoy the Jeep. Enjoy your new lifestyle. Try the chase car for a while. There is no single right way to enjoy full timing. You will tow when you two are ready for that change.
That hasn't been mentioned. It's not cheap getting a toad ready to tow. I'm guessing $1200 to $1500, maybe more, in parts (tow bar, braking system, etc.) plus labor if needed.

And I'd have to get rid of a "loved, trouble free, and paid for" vehicle to get something much less. Even if I got a 2 door Jeep, it can't be a Rubicon like I have know due to money and weight and I can't upgrade it like I have current vehicle.

And that's right, there is no single way to full time. We've bucked advice over and over again, usually after a lot of research and thought. We're buying new and we have our reasons. We're going gas instead of diesel. We're going small (32 feet). This is no different. Most people tow their car. We're going to try chasing. We didn't come the the conclusion without a lot of thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSPA View Post
Cost wise, a chase trip is never cheaper, but on the really short trips, the reduction and wear and tear on the body for loading and unloading the dolly twice, plus the benefit of a couple of hours of driving without the wife's chatter, theatrics and back seat driving is worth the extra fuel.
I'm not sure it's never cheaper but I suspect it's usually not. But as you imply, money isn't everything. We're already in a gas coach and even if we decided to reduce the weight of the Jeep, tow it with a quarter tank of fuel and keep the RV weight down as well, never carrying a full tank of water and all that, we would still have/want to chase once in a while.

The west is full of steep mountains and hot deserts that would tax our MH. We'd likely unhook. Before we pull into a campground or head off the road to a boondocking site, we'd likely unhook. In an urban area or on the freeway, I wouldn't want the extra length or weight that would hinder maneuvering and braking. We'd likely chase. That's a lot of work for what will probably be 200 mile driving days at most and even those will only be once, maybe twice a week.
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:52 PM   #89

Get a rig with a bigger engine. Ride together, that's the only way to travel, otherwise, what's the point. Happy wife!!!!
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:51 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Well, darn, my rig is too old, otherwise I got it covered!
Actually, for YOUR rig, we would make an exception, but you have to send the cats too! On second thought, that may not be a good idea since we travel with two to four of our own . . . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:48 AM   #91

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaspiveys View Post
You can't dolly tow Wranglers. Either 4 wheels up or 4 wheels down.
Knoxie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:52 AM   #92

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McMartin View Post
That hasn't been mentioned. It's not cheap getting a toad ready to tow. I'm guessing $1200 to $1500, maybe more, in parts (tow bar, braking system, etc.) plus labor if needed.
This is true. It cost me $1131 this year to make my 2dr Wrangler towable:

Bumper
Fixed Tow Bar
Breakaway Braking Kit
BlueOx AutoStop Braking setup
Brake light wiring kit (plug and play so worth it)

And i installed it myself.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:56 AM   #93

Quote:
Our MH of choice can't tow our 4-door Jeep. We're planning on selling it and buy a lighter 2-door. But I'm wondering, how many of you don't tow your "toad" but follow your MH instead. I don't really care but my wife does. It's more of an emotional thing. She's not afraid of driving or anything but has always pictured us cruising down the road together.

But, honestly, we don't plan to drive that often or that much. We plan to keep our drives relatively short, say under 2-3 hours, and only move every few days or even weekly or more.

So how many of you follow the MH? Is it problematic? Any advice?
A TOAD is short for Towed - Sorry but IMHO I see no reason to not Tow the Toad. Other than Money or Safety.

We Live toGether WE Travel toGether - PERIOD. . . . . . ......
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:01 AM   #94

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
A TOAD is short for Towed - Sorry but IMHO I see no reason to not Tow the Toad. Other than Money or Safety.

Plus IDK if I would remember how to drive without the wife reminding me from the passenger seat!

Old 05-15-2017, 11:30 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post

I totally get that. I've noticed a lot of comments seem to be from part time RVers and those that prefer to travel long distances. There's not way we'd chase if we we're routinely driving for more than 2 or 3 hours or if we were destination travelers, driving many, many hours (or even days) to spend some time somewhere. Getting there is half the fun and you'd want to do that together.

We don't plan to do that. We plan to drive a couple of hours, set up camp and hang out for 3-10 days and then do it again. The highlight, as we see it, isn't getting there but being there. So driving separately isn't a big deal. That's not the good part.

I have learned that there are a lot of strong opinions about this and that there are a fair number of folks that do or have done it. Some even prefer it. We got what we needed, a lot of experiences so we could judge if chasing the MH was doable for us. We think it is. If nothing else, there's a big, long thread about it now
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:42 PM   #96

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I totally get that. I've noticed a lot of comments seem to be from part time RVers and those that prefer to travel long distances. There's not way we'd chase if we we're routinely driving for more than 2 or 3 hours or if we were destination travelers, driving many, many hours (or even days) to spend some time somewhere. Getting there is half the fun and you'd want to do that together.
FWIW we're full time and this is exactly how we travel but it's more like 4 hours, maybe a bit more but that's the upper limit. And while we have a destination for the day, there is no overall destination we have to burn through the night to get to. The journey is the whole point and if we don't like it, we move on.

But even with this travel pattern, doing the chase thing got real old after a couple months. We actually like to be together, talk, see things out that big window, or even just be quiet. My own personal opinion, I am much happier having Peggy in the coach with me and I'm glad our planning made that possible.

Which is a point to consider. When we started, we planned on doing the chase thing. And when we went shopping for a car, we thought about all kinds but my requirement was something that could be towed. Even planning to chase, I wanted to keep our options open and I am glad we did because we both like towing much better. I know you say you're firm on the coach, but there are comparable coaches out there with higher tow ratings that would have no problems with your Jeep. If you do decide at some point that you want to tow, it will actually save you a bundle if you buy a capable coach now, instead of either selling the Jeep and taking a bath, or selling the coach and taking a bigger bath.
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:05 PM   #97

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Our MH of choice can't tow our 4-door Jeep. We're planning on selling it and buy a lighter 2-door. But I'm wondering, how many of you don't tow your "toad" but follow your MH instead. I don't really care but my wife does. It's more of an emotional thing. She's not afraid of driving or anything but has always pictured us cruising down the road together.

But, honestly, we don't plan to drive that often or that much. We plan to keep our drives relatively short, say under 2-3 hours, and only move every few days or even weekly or more.

So how many of you follow the MH? Is it problematic? Any advice?
We towed ours and with it being a good ton, too heavy for the then coach that we had. After I inspected everything, I decided that the culprit was with the GM 4L80E transmission, so good to go over most terrain. We towed it over the Rockies, Appalachia and everywhere in between. Found that it hated long 6% grades, but other than that, it did fine and most of the time, I never knew it was back there. This tranny does have protection and will go into limp mode if overheated. Also has 25% more pulling power if one will just get over in the far right lane and go in low gear at 25mph.
As for downhill, the toad braking provided the extra needed and actually stopped a little better than without it.......or at least it seemed so. No ill effects, anyway. With all that travel, nothing broke, nothing fell off, nobody died or even came close and again, not all that many instances of these situations and whereas you can always disconnect, as an alternative.
By the way, no one here is going to be following in the toad, except maybe for going over the top of an extreme mountain and again, the low gear, 25mph method works well.
A couple of notes here:
You can't use a dolly with a Jeep, so trailer or 4 down only and the weight between a 2 and 4 door is only about 600lbs and mainly because one usually has more junk in the 4 door.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, tow, towing