Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2018, 08:37 AM   #1

How many of you have chained a dually

Double chains or two singles?

Do you carry chains?
lockinload is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2018, 08:47 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockinload View Post

Do you carry chains?
Does anyone make a set of chains that covers dual tires? I've never seen those.

It sounds like it could be a real mess if one of the dual tires went flat.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:48 AM   #3

We just chained the outer tires.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockinload View Post

Do you carry chains?
I have chained a truck more times than I can count (had to go to make a living), it's a miserable job. I wouldn't consider chaining up my mh
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:00 AM   #5

If I think I may need chains I just don't go in the first place, or take another route. I use tripcheck and time the departure between storms. Some RV'ers say once you run chains on the rig it's never the same. Vibrates the heck out of the cabinets and other stuff.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:11 AM   #6

I've pretty much driven my entire life in the snow, I am good at it, and no way no how do I want to be driving a MH in the snow. That said, I'm sure there are laws that require one to carry chains in areas that could require them. I'm not real excited about dropping 3 hundred dollars on a set of chains I will probably never use.
lockinload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:15 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Took mine out of the MH as soon as I moved out of Alaska, doubt I could find them anymore.

Never used or needed them and we drove the Alcan twice in the winter.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:32 AM   #8

x2 on what MoCoTom said. I too have had to put my share of chains on trucks (and also commercial buses) during my working years and not only is it truly miserable but the main reason I wouldn't chain up the motorhome is the damage it can do to your rig should a link break, etc. Also, some motorhomes will have limited clearance issues pertaining to the rear wheel wells that almost prohibit the use of chains. And don't get me going on the frustating experience I had once in the muddy slush trying to get a broken set of chains that had wrapped itself between the duals on a commercial bus one day in the mountains.

With that said, we did have a set of cable "chains" with us in the motorhome just for the legal purposes that require chains or approved traction devices be carried during certain dates in some locations required by certain states. I never used them nor did I have any intention of using them.

You are carrying a house with you down the road so when the chains required sign goes up, just pull over and have a snack, drink coffee, take a nap, watch videos or TV, etc. until the roadway is cleared.

If you absolutely must travel where "approved traction devices required" is posted and since it looks as if you're in Colorado, you might want to look into using AutoSock made by a Colorado company. They have been used by semis and commercial buses with mixed reviews and are approved traction devices in most states. I'd personally never use them on a semi however.

AutoSock website

Links on their website for videos pertaining to trucks --bottom of page

And this video has been posted on the forum several times:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Does anyone make a set of chains that covers dual tires? I've never seen those.

It sounds like it could be a real mess if one of the dual tires went flat.
And yes, believe me, they are even more miserable to deal with than chaining up just the outside dual

theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:36 PM   #9

Had to chain up to get out of my property in northern Canada every year the job is not that bad once you do it a few times. I put them on the outside dully only.
Just lay them out carefully behind the RV back onto them and hook them up then drive back and forth a bit and retighten them they will need it then put bungees in an x pattern on the out side and your good to go. That being said putting them on the outside tire is not as good as both. Take them off asap and never drive on bare pavement with them on.
canimkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:05 PM   #10

In the Northwest, commercial firms have stations on each side of a pass/mountain. They rent and install chains during chain-up periods, on the other side they remove their chains and you continue on your way.
That said, I'm the same as Kragen; slick roads, I park and wait.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:16 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If the roads require chains I just sit it out. I'm never in that much of a hurry.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:58 PM   #12

I have run both dual and 2 single chains on my bush truck. It's a bit of work to get them on no matter which is used. The only drawback with the dual set is the weight. A single chain is a lot easier to work with. On the motorhome , I would carry them to be legal if required , but I doubt I would ever put them on. Up here where we have snow and ice on the roads for 6 months of the year , there is no requirement to carry chains .
Old 09-13-2018, 01:05 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After more than 45 years of rving I have no plans on going where chains would be required. Having said that, if and when I might get caught in an early snow storm I will pull over and park. Retirement is so sweet - no hurry to get somewhere just to hurry on to the next place. Enjoying God's wonders daily.

Drive safe - Richard
Old 09-13-2018, 09:42 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Theroc had some good advice and avoiding driving in snow is a good option but sometimes it is necessary. I highly recommend the "Auto Socks" (see his earlier link) as they are very light weight, meet the requirement of most State laws for traction devices and they are relatively easy to install. Although, there are some issues...
1. I believe they limit the speed to 30 mph however when you have big rigs pushing you to keep up the speed it is difficult when on straight sections of highway.
2. They definitely advise to take them off when there is bare highway..which is also near impossible when there is nowhere to pull off due to snow banks on either side of the road. I wore out one set on the bare pavement and speed over 30 which causes them to billow out hitting the mud flaps too.
3. Depending on which state you are in the requirement for additional "traction devices" are required on the rear axle of a trailer or towed vehicle which may help keeping the towed in a straight line rather than jackknifing.
I am not afraid of snow but 30 years of Ski Patrolling has convinced me of respecting the hazard of slippery roads and I would agree that if possible wait out the weather so you don't jeopardise a very expensive possession not to mention the safety of yours and others. My trip that ruined my Auto Socks was due to the necessity of returning home for a funeral of an imediate family member. Sure was glad to have the Auto Socks. I believe these were originated in Norway.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote