Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2021, 02:17 PM   #15

Curious-- which FC-- the 35'? The ISM should make it do wheelies.

If going to an automatic, the Allison 4000 is one of the few choices.

And, agree, you will be looking for an extrucker. I have driven manual transmission cars almost exclusively, but have never driven a 13 speed. I am probably one of the very few non-extruckers willing to learn.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2021, 02:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearmtn View Post
I am almost done building a unicorn. It's an older Wanderlodge FC with an ISM and a 13 speed Road Ranger manual transmission. I have had it a long time and have no plans to sell it, but I am at a point where I need to figure out the wiring to replace it with an autoshift or an automatic down the road in the event I sell it, because I am thinking that there would be no market for it with a manual transmission unless I found another dummy like me. But I thought I would ask, whether you would consider a manual transmission and learn to shift it, or whether you can already shift a Road Ranger and would have no problem buying a motorhome with one, without consideration to all the other things one looks for when shopping. If I had a few people tell me it would not be a deal breaker then I will forge ahead without worrying about making a change down the road.
Nope, I gave up a manual in cars 20 years ago and am not going back. Especially in a 40+ ft rig…
ClassAboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 03:15 PM   #17

From the standpoint of reliability, no.

From the standpoint of convenience, no, especially a 13 speed in a vehicle that light.

And my preference for a car is a standard transmission.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 03:28 PM   #18

I don’t think it would impede a sale. If anything it would add to the uniqueness of the coach.

If the rest of the coach fit our needs a manual transmission wouldn’t phase me.

Good luck with the sale.

PS. Would love to see pictures.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 04:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post

And, agree, you will be looking for an extrucker. I have driven manual transmission cars almost exclusively, but have never driven a 13 speed. I am probably one of the very few non-extruckers willing to learn.

Actually, count me in as another non trucker willing to learn. Learned to drive on a manual. My first car was a manual (drove it for about 10 years). My current car and toad is a manual (mini cooper). Awful in stop and go traffic (but im retired now) but otherwise love the manual, and have always wondered how the truck manuals are shifted...
Old 10-31-2021, 04:51 PM   #20

Thank you for the replies. The problem is finding someone who knows how to make the autoshift talk to the ECM, in a platform that is now 21 years old. No one is really interested in helping me with that. I don't imagine the question will come up for another 15 or 20 years so I will just drop it for now. No point in overthinking a potential non issue. It sounds like there are still a few people out there who wouldn't mind shifting gears, although that pool will most likely shrink considerably over time. Having driven Road Rangers all my life its not something I really think about and the benefits of a manual transmission are huge so I built it to suit myself.
Bearmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 04:52 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post

It is a 1981 FC35.
Old 10-31-2021, 04:59 PM   #22

I would love that tranny in that rig, but I'm weird. I'm actually surprised you're getting so many positive responses.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 05:11 PM   #23

The 13 speed is a classic. Interesting that you should bring this up as I was thinking this week that it is too bad that there isn't an option of a 13 speed in a coach RV.

The passenger coach co I worked for in Australia had manual transmissions but they were all backward H pattern. Weird to drive but I guess once you got used to it.....

I spent many happy hrs with a 13 speed stick, sure beat the old twin stick and I enjoyed those. And yes the clutch got very little use. Lol.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:45 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I get caught at every traffic light in the country. Do I want to manually shift back up to speed. NO.
Old 10-31-2021, 09:17 PM   #25

Would not bother me one bit to have a manual. I have driven 5x2, 6, 8, 6-10RR, 18, now most days driving a ‘Super 10’, now if that ain’t a flashback. Would be great to have an RV with a Detroit 2 stroker.
Old 10-31-2021, 10:15 PM   #26

I would certainly consider it. Would like to test drive it actually. How much did you have to add to the front to make room for the M11?
FrogHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 10:36 PM   #27

Foretravel Owners Club
'Fraid I'd swap out the 13 for a set of sticks..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 11:50 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogHollow View Post
I would certainly consider it. Would like to test drive it actually. How much did you have to add to the front to make room for the M11?
I did not. I just pushed it back a bit. My wife declined to have a bullnose.

Tags
buying, class a, manual, transmission