Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2021, 02:52 PM   #43

National RV Owners Club
13 speed

The 13 speed is a great tranny, only need the clutch to start out. But even Schneider and Corvettes only have automatic. That said anyone going for an older rig will have to be familiar with “machinery “ so I bet it wouldn’t be a problem. Plus you would enjoy the ride more, and that means a lot.
29surfsiderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2021, 02:59 PM   #44

Keep it just as it is!!! It's a classic-See: https://thevintagerv.com/the-ultimat...ge-motorhomes/
Join a group or club for these. We've done this with our 1985 31' Barth Royal.

Plus, with the manual tranny, no one's going to steal it....!

If you do change out the transmission, you can resell it for some good coin. There are plenty of markets for the classics and parts. But, I would encourage you to keep this gem just as it is. It's special-

Check out this Barth Regal for fun: 1985 Barth Regal 28' - Topic
Be sure to keep scrolling to catch all of the pictures
Solid aluminum construction, riveted like an aircraft which it's designed after, solid interior wood, insulated, and a wonderful history. Barth vehicles served many platforms. Short video of history:

Barths are unique like your Wanderlodge.
Enjoy it!
Roadgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:22 PM   #45

Manual Transmission

I drove an 18 wheeler for many years so I would like a class A with an manual transmission. I would have more control and save diesel a long the way. I want decide where my RPM's are.
iowagasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:23 PM   #46

Driving a stick shift is not that difficult. I think that’s all my dad ever drove until he bought his 56 Ford wagon. We seem to be losing our old skills. Sounds like fun to me.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:23 PM   #47

Your market would be only retired truck drivers.
I had a 40 ' Eagle with an 892 and a 13 speed, never changed / reversed and of tthe linkage so my shift pattern was upside down and backwards, nota problem once you figured it out, IK would not build another one without an Allison.
airplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:47 PM   #48

We have a generation or two of drivers who can't drive a manual trans, couldn't use manual door locks, or even a window crank.... and they are breeding.....

Sorry to gum up the thread, but this literally made be laugh out loud - and while I was sipping my evening beverage.
GeoffnJules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 04:10 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Would not buy.
Old 11-04-2021, 04:33 PM   #50

That'll be a hard sale. People like us who are capable of driving those are now old, and a vanishing breed. When you decide to sell it, there may be none left, that are in the market.
Old 11-04-2021, 04:35 PM   #51

My gas 8.1 Class A has a 5 speed automatic transmission. I would love driving it much better if it a a 13 speed manual transmission. I have always loved shifting when I new the powertrain was ready to move to the next higher gear.
DougJames65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 04:48 PM   #52

I would buy it in a heartbeat. I waited 8 months for my toad (rubicon) with a 6 speed manual and a Motorhome with a manual would be an awesome match
bgkoontz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 04:53 PM   #53

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Nope

I would not expect a manual transmission to hold up given the weight, shift frequency, and other things. Getting it serviced or repaired might be an issue. I wouldn't expect the clutch to hold up either. We have enough issues with our coaches without adding transmission problems. To the best of my knowledge, Allison automatic transmissions are reliable so why replace it with something of unknown quality.
Old 11-04-2021, 05:00 PM   #54

Id LOVE it! Drove a stick all my younger years, really enjoyed it. I think the fuel savings would really make it worthwhile.
rcnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 05:01 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Get better mileage most these coach are running a 4.30 rear end gear higher gear transmission be nice but they also make12speed in a automatic
oh no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 05:03 PM   #56

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We rented a class C in New Zealand with a turbo diesel, manual trans, driving on the left side of the road. I was driving a class C for the first time.

No issues or concerns the 3 weeks we were there. You just adapt to the situation.

Tags
buying, class a, manual, transmission