Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
How many tubes of Sikaflex to reseal windshield?

Getting ready to re-caulk the front windshield to stop the leaks and wind noise & figured I'd get some clarification on the correct procedure.

From reading all the posts here, looks like I need to do the following:
  • clean everything thoroughly
  • remove all the previous caulking
  • clean the surfaces again with acetone
  • apply painters tape to keep the Sikaflex from getting on the body
  • Apply Sikaflex 200 using a caulk gun
  • Let it cure for a day or two
  • Remove tape and enjoy!
Here's my questions
  • How many tubes of Sikaflex should I purchase?
  • Is this product so thick that I should consider using an air powered cualk gun?
Thanks in advance! Looking forward to a great 2013 RV season!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Alas the answer depends on how thick you apply it but Murphy has the real answer.

You will need N+1,, Where N is the number you buy.

Wish I could be of more help but on a motor home windshield I would not even consider a DIY attempt. I want someone who has the proper power gear (porta power) to handle that hunk of glass.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:16 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When I had mine done at the factory (Discovery one piece) they used approximately 6 tubes, and the had a special heater to heat up the tubes to make the Sika flow easier. The also used an air powered gun to apply the caulk. Keep in mind that was for a replacement of the windshield not a reseal. Additionally they used Pro-Seal cleaner to prep the surface. Acetone may start to remove the paint if you are not careful. This may be one of those jobs best left to a professional.
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #4

I take it you are going to attempt to reseal it by chaulking it on the outside? If so you are only going to mask the real problem which will be rust. The windshield will crack sooner or later due to the rust pushing on the glass. If anything I would isolate the point of the leak and add some sealant to that point only. If you seal the entire windshield by filling the groove around it a future windshield replacement will be very difficult if not impossible. No glass shop will touch it.
rlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Adam did you ever do this repair Sikaflex?
Old 03-26-2013, 03:05 AM   #6

Hahahaha... you now owe me a new keyboard since I spit coffee all over it while reading your response!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Alas the answer depends on how thick you apply it but Murphy has the real answer.

You will need N+1,, Where N is the number you buy.