Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
I made a lot of money selling extended warranties. The only benefit is a intangible. The peace of mind thing. Otherwise, just self insure. You will be ahead of the game most of the time.
When we ordered our 2000 DSDP we bought a policy for the peace of mind. Two years later we traded it in on our present 2002 DSDP without ever using it. No refund either since the dealer was out of business by then. Haven't bought a policy since on anything.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks guys for all the feedback! I've worked on my 41 ft boat over the past 7 years and am a fairly hands on guy. It makes me feel good that these rigs are fairly dependable.. it sounds like they much more dependable than a boat over the same time and useage... and as I have always believed... The main thing is to keep up on maintenance. It really is true that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Thanks guys for all the feedback! I've worked on my 41 ft boat over the past 7 years and am a fairly hands on guy. It makes me feel good that these rigs are fairly dependable.. it sounds like they much more dependable than a boat over the same time and useage... and as I have always believed... The main thing is to keep up on maintenance. It really is true that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
My advice. Use it, use it, use it. The most detrimental thing is lack of use.
While your using it your becoming more familiar with its quirks, squeaks, things you have to tap on to get it work, etc. If your comfort level still leaves something to be desired, you can always buy a warranty.

I lived aboard for 4 years and it was great training for fixing things. Now you have a house that floats and one that rolls. Good for you!
Old 03-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
proof of service from day one

you should be able to prove with paperwork that you and/or previous owners have accomplished every maintenace procedure per the manuel. if you can't you will be fighting with the service warranty company and you will loose. their goal is to make sure your claim is disapproved because of your action with maintenace, etc.

your better off to save up your own repair fund and cover your own cost of repairs.
monalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:14 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Hi, Ive been spending way too much time over the past couple of weeks shopping for warranties and getting a lot of advise from folks in here to save my money and "self insure". So in trying to consider this advise, I am going to approach this based on what "like" coach owners spend on average annually.

Can those of you that have class A DP coaches 8 - 12 years old, give me an average of how much you spend annually on repairs... not maintenance... Strictly repairs... I know there are big repair years and little to no repair years, so I'm asking you to please average.

If it turns out to be less than, close, or slightly more to what an extended warranty policy will cost, then maybe I should consider self insuring.

Well .... there are things that are a bit of a crossover between maintenance and repair. Similar to a house or boat, certain things have a "lifespan". For instance, in a house, the water heater and most major appliances are due for replacement (as opposed to repair) in 8 to 12 years. Choices ... do you really want to "fix" your 12 year old washing machine or buy a new one? Do you really want to "fix" your 12 year old dish washer or get a new one. Do you really want to "fix" your low-def Quasar CRT TV or get a new LED widescreen?

So ... are those things covered under a Maintenance Contract and, if so, do you still want them "repaired".

For instance, in my older RV, all faucets have been replaced with residential units. The old reefer is now a counter-depth residential unit. Wouldn't have considered repairing them.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
The bottom line here is if you do not do your own work on your RV and always pay someone to do the work and not trying to save money by doing your own work and just want the peace of mind that you are covered no matter what happens and you have the money to spend without questioning the cost this coverage can't be beat. Like everything we go to do in our lives it is controlled by $$$$$$. If I had a lot of money and did not have to question if I would get my money back out of a warranty I would for sure have my Coach covered from end to end. I spend a lot of time working and checking my ride out all the time so when I get in it and use it hopefully I will have a trouble free trip, I do this with my Harley's and auto's and has served me well. As I have seen on here before" no one knows your equipment like you" . It is really sad to read on here daily on the folks that pay big dollars for service work and it is not done right! In the 4 years that I have owned my Newmar, microwave replaced ($300.00), engine air compressor replaced ($1,600.00) thats it. Knock on wood!
Old 03-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #21

She is turning 15 this month.

$45.85 in repairs in 4+ years and 29,000 miles of ownership.

I can't believe it either, BTW total cost of ownership for 50 months has been $17,000 and that includes all PM, fuel, storage, tires etc. not including vacation trips which we account for separately.

DaveS
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
Cummins C8.3 325 HP
Allison 3060 Six Speed Transmission
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by monalisa View Post
you should be able to prove with paperwork that you and/or previous owners have accomplished every maintenace procedure per the manuel. if you can't you will be fighting with the service warranty company and you will loose. their goal is to make sure your claim is disapproved because of your action with maintenace, etc.

your better off to save up your own repair fund and cover your own cost of repairs.
Monalisa, I'm working with the dealer I bought the rig from now to get those records and exactly what they did as far as maintenance prior to it leaving the lot. I should have gotten it when I gave them the check, but it is what it is. I had a pre-purchase inspection and then had them do the work that needed to be done and change all the fluids. I am still going to bring it in and have it gone over to make sure it's ready to ride. I think my $$$ is better spent on that at this point than a warranty.

Palehorse, I wish I was one of those guys where $$$$ doesn't matter. I wouldn't be on here asking the best way to spend what I have...
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #23

Cummins C8.3L 300 HP on a Gillig Chassis:

I assume you are only interested in chassis related DP repairs.

Over the past 11 years and 65,000 miles we have paid to have repaired:

Exhaust Manifold gasket $1500

Fuel Injection Pump $4,000 (covered by US Warranty)

Coolant School Bus Circ Pump $350 (should be DIY)

PacBrake frozen $500 (should be DIY)

Replaced Engine Water Pump $80 (DIY)

Rebuilt Alternator $250 (R&R was DIY)

Broken Fuel Line $300 (Could be DIY except happened on Hwy)

We recovered our repairs insurance policy cost of 4 years on the Fuel pump.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #24

In 2010 a new circuit board, 460.00. 2011 a rock damaged radiator and fan, 2700.00. In 2012 leaking heater hose, new toilet gasket and valve, 350.00. Tank Lanyards installed, 260.00. I budget 1200.00 yr for maint and repairs, but have been going over that in last few years.
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #25

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Cummins C8.3L 300 HP on a Gillig Chassis:

I assume you are only interested in chassis related DP repairs.

Over the past 11 years and 65,000 miles we have paid to have repaired:

Exhaust Manifold gasket $1500

Fuel Injection Pump $4,000 (covered by US Warranty)

Coolant School Bus Circ Pump $350 (should be DIY)

PacBrake frozen $500 (should be DIY)

Replaced Engine Water Pump $80 (DIY)

Rebuilt Alternator $250 (R&R was DIY)

Broken Fuel Line $300 (Could be DIY except happened on Hwy)

We recovered our repairs insurance policy cost of 4 years on the Fuel pump.
My problem is that the $$$$ you quoted for the US Warranty being covered would only cover 2 years in my case, not 4 years. My quote is $3440 for 2 years with a $500 deductible per incident. That's $4000 for just one incident, even if the cost is $500 for the repairs. I just think $4000 would go further in the bank than in their hands.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:37 AM   #26

anual costs

Im on my second coach this year due to wife wanting to upgrade. my american eagle had a 325 cummins and my new one has a 500 cummins. when i buy a coach i always send it to cummins for PM. it seems in both of these busses it has cost me around $4000.00 dollars for initial PM work. but in my case both coaches had break issues i was unaware of. knowing what king of machine you have tells alot of the story. my Heritage has a special break called mountain brakes, difference is average air brake shoe $80 mountain brakes $160.00. once you get through the initial chassis inspection cost of ownership isn't that bad. i would say around $1500 a year to keep it in tip top shape as long as you don't have a major failure like a turbo or transmission problem.
brandonklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Hmm let's see:
New ignition switch $16 (got it at Autozone)
Wipers about $15 each (got them at a truck stop)
Replaced 1500 watt modified wave inv/char with a 3000 watt pure sine $1500 (ebay)
Fireplace for heat since propane heater thing was in parts (Lowe's)
Seals for the toilet to fix a leak $20 each (CW)
2 tires while on the road $1,400 for the RV and 4 for the trailer $800 (blow out on one)
3 batteries $600 (got fried)
4 gallons antifreeze $57 (truck stop - PO did not realize you had to add some when the light came on)
Transmission fluid change $386
Oil change $243 with a $63 rebate added in (Thom's job paid for that one )
New 50 amp cord $130 (CW - PO let the old one get extremely soaked with water as in they let in stay under water)
Icemaker parts to fix it $170

There are other little things but that's most of the big ticket things.
Even thou it sounds like a lot it is still way cheaper than what a S&B was costing us. Everything is almost all fixed now so costs are coming down. We knew going in that we would have a few things to fix so most are not surprising us. We did buy an 18yr old coach.

Tags
repairs