Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2020, 12:51 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Remodel and make it yours.

Resale doesn't matter if you intend to keep it for a very long time, and in that time have a much better experience. Making RV decisions based on resale and ROI is not the way to go about it - you always end up sacrificing something and missing out.

You can sort of increase the insured value of the RV - to a limit, and that limit may not be what you want. We insure ours for about $40K more than it's worth on the books (max Progressive would allow), and aren't entirely happy with that amount. In addition to that, we carry a large amount of contents coverage to shoot the gap for anything we can argue isn't bolted down. That increases our annual insurance cost by about $600, I think, over what it was at the default values.
n0mad is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2020, 01:50 PM   #16

This is a really good question and one I have thought of before. In my opinion, I believe it is a better choice to spend the money on a newer rig and bite the bullet. As others have said, you will still end up with an old coach and things get old down below like airbags, suspension, drive trains, etc. Maybe enjoy the things you have done and spend a few bucks more on some more simple things if necessary and start looking for a floor plan in a pre owned coach that you will like in a couple of years. I am looking now at 2018 up to 2020 models so I will know just what I want in another 4 or 5 years from now. Good luck with your choice.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:15 PM   #17

Keep what you have & model. It’s not an investment use it & enjoy. Everything newer is not better. You might just purchase someone else problems. You know what you have and that’s a good start.

I have an older MC that I remodeled with solar, extra batteries, flooring, washer & dryer, added sink to toilet room, added electric element to propane water heater, replaced fabric with leather front to back.

I like mine and I did not purchase another due to IMO the newer technology that you keep you hostage for the simple things.

Yes a lot of things could happen & you will be at a disadvantage and maybe not. That’s life....LIVE!!! Go for it & do not look back.
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:07 AM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
We have spent a fair share of time over the past 18 years debating whether we should remodel or replace.

Still have not decided.

New ones may not be as dependable as our rig has been.

We already have two Vanity sinks. One in the split bath and one in the kitchen, but used for about 0.5 hrs as a kitchen sink per day.

So, we have no need to remodel.

YMMV
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 12:30 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am all for upgrading your older DP. However, I would not "invest" $100k in that. Prioritize what you need and want. At some point, you will need to made a financial decision.

If you buy a "new" coach - it may cost more, but it will also hold more of its investment, versus $160K in an Old DP.

Now...if you invest $50K in your existing rig.....there's alot you can do.

I would vote for updating your existing coach, but weight each dollar carefully, and get the most bang for your buck

Good Luck
pete5016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 12:45 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
As was stated carefully figure out what it will cost you to upgrade to your wants.
If the figure is doable, go for it.

An RV is for personal enjoyment and any thought of future value is just a thought.

Allow $25,000 for a repair fund in case and when things need upgrading or repairing in your driveline.

Good luck and safe travels.

Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:43 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wow! Seems like there are almost as many that say to remodel as there are saying to buy a new one. I never would have believed it. Maybe my wife is on to something?

I doubt that I'd ever spend $100k to remodel my current coach but maybe I'll get the floors re-done and that will satisfy her for a while.

Thanks for all the responses!
EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:06 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Ok. I didn’t read every post.

Ease on over to the Entegra Owners forum and look at my current remodel.

25000 isn’t going to do anything.

It just isn’t.

If you upgrade kitchen and appliances you are at 5-8000
If you do any framing and wall changes the electrical and plumbing are going to hit you in the heart.
If you put it back together with leather, vinyl, carpet, and lvp you are in the bucks there as well.
Not just floors but walls, ceilings, floors etc. trim.

Then let’s tackle converting to led inside only? Outside?

Is your water heater 100%

I am a contractor and I have torn mine down and upgraded and retrofitted a few things and I can assure you at cost I’m well over 25000

When mine is fully retrofitted and refurbed
Sent aqua hot for refurb
Cummins updated and gen calibrated
Led lights upgrade no fixture changes
No cabinet changes
No counter changes
Rebuilt oem Huntington brass faucets
Rebuilt water closet outside
New headlights
New exterior lights
New interior lights
New av components
New mattresses
New upholstery where we tore out
Stream cleaned and under coated
New grout in existing tile
New stairs
New flat screens
New video cameras
New head unit with new nav and smart phone capabilities

It sounds like a lot. It isn’t. We just got her back to par and I’m somewhere around 30k

I would vote against reno
I mean I’m in northwest Florida and I’ll do the job no problem.

But take what your coach is worth. Take the amount you want to spend on the reModel how much is that?

I’m 2011 Anthem with no DEF but I bought the coach behind market. And I can do what I do with employees and at my cost.
I may be into the coach at 120 when done and she will be rock solid but doubt I’ll make money on her if I put her on the market.

I’m thinking of upgrading if we use this thing as much as I think we will.

I’ll be glad to help you and yes we do remodel motor homes, homes, and mostly commercial banks and convenience stores.
Marksnet is offline   Reply With Quote