Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2017, 04:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve11669 View Post
I do everything on mine because I enjoy doing it, the job gets done right and i dont get ripped off.

When something needs attention of which I know nothing about, I do some research and get into it. Theres sometimes a fear of the unknown but I always figure things out.

My motor home came with a file folder of repair invoices from the previous owner who would drop the rig off at a big rv facility for big and small repairs. I went through all the invoices and was amazed, m that a business would charge so much for many menial tasks that I was able (or learned) to do myself for little or no cost. I'm talking major dollars! I wasn't amazed the previous owner would pay the prices because I see his or her stupidity. The repair shops know to what extent they rip stupid people off. I could give examples of those charges but suffice it to say there's continuial gouging.

I have an ex brother in law who was the service manager at a prominant Cadillac dealsr in San Diego and he shared how he and the dealership routinely rips customers off. I am talking daily and extensive! Dealers make more on service that cars sales.

These repair shops are not your friends. They're there to get your money. Those guys in the back with dirty finger nails are not rocket scientists! But they do what many people wont do for themselves. (Here comes the excuses).

As I said initially, I enjoy working on my things and knowing it was done and done right. Those who don't choose to work on their things pay much more than I but thats their right.
Ah, Pardon me. You are casting an undeserved shadow over the entire repair industry with your broad negative assessments.
I worked in a Cadillac dealership for 16 years and spent five of those years as the service manager. This dealer was as upstanding and honest as anyone could be. The dealership was established in 1911 by the father of the man I worked for. When I was hired in 1963 I was instructed on the value of honesty and fairness. One of the things the owner said was "It is your job to sell anything to a customer he needs. But never sell anything he or her doesn't need".
I have owned an independent repair shop since 1983 and still strongly believe in this statement. I wouldn't have it any other way.
I spend thousands of dollars yearly on equipment and training to serve our customer base as well as possible. Not many see what goes on inside the business but only look at what they want to.
Lynn
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2017, 05:19 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
When I first bought our coach I took it Crosspoint Cummins for a complete service and inspection. It came with no records, I did an inspection myself prior to purchase and could not find 1 thing wrong but I wanted to make sure. After the service the manager told me the rig was "Cherry", a nice feeling.

From then on I've done as much of the maintenance as possible. Oil changes, lubrication, air filter, fuel filters, air dryer etc. Also did a fluid change on the transmission after I got a quote for $650, cost me $250 and it was not a bad/hard job.

I've also fixed most anything that has broken myself. If I took it to the shop anytime something broke I'd be broke. Some of the more complicated items include exhaust manifold, EMS Circuit board, water heater, blower motor on roof AC unit. Also tore down and resealed 3 fogged windows.

My wife drove into a post at a fueling station, damaged 3 bay doors and bent the trim on the slide. Had to replace an 8' section of hinge and repaint 3 doors and straighten the slide trim. My brother does quit a bit of body work and could not easily find the area I fixed.

I don't tackle any new project without doing research. I will spend time to figure out how to fix something, source the parts, and have as much information as needed. I will take pictures as I take things apart so I can put it back together easier.

I also keep a complete data base on my rig, I have information on just about every system, parts breakdown and source, troubleshooting guides, etc.

Sometimes I have to have work done on the rig. Lost the transmission ECU, I knew that was the problem but had limited options and time to get it fixed. Also had a radiator damaged by road debris. Decided to take to Cummins, I suspected it would covered by insurance, it was and my out of pocket was a small fraction of what it cost to fix. If it happens again and it's not covered by insurance I will tackle the job myself.

Doing all of the above is the only way I could afford the coach.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:10 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92TNTRacing View Post
Do what you are comfortable doing. Have full knowledge of what you are doing, A YouTube video does qualify you to work on air brakes.

That is in response to a customer I had last week.

As a mechanic with 40 years experience I'll say this, I have no problem with a fella saving some money but please if you don't know exactly what you are doing, Hire a professional that has the proper tools and experience. It will end up costing you less.
I agree with this statement; I leave most of the mechanic repairs to the professionals, mainly I don't want to deal with 28 Qts of oil. I take it to Speedco who does the annual on the Gen and coach. Almost any issues on the house I can repair, and so far have been able to fix any plumbing or electrical issues. I also do the annual maintenance on the Aqua Hot unit. I've replaced A/C gaskets, fixed the inverter, torque the AC units down, replaced air brake switch, and numerous other items. All of which I found how to on this site or You Tube. I find it a good idea to be handy with tools or your likely going to be hit with a lot of nickel and dime expenses. Aldo I enjoy working on the coach! Don't know why since I won't touch anything on our vehicles, as the DW takes every opportunity to point out. Regards
Old 04-17-2017, 07:35 PM   #32

I would do all that you feel comfortable with. The Diesel engine is what scares most of us, with good reason. Most systems are pretty simple and with a little help and research we can do more than we think.
I just spent 5 hours today repairing the slides on my brothers fireplace enclosure on his 5th wheel. The dealers service dept had no clue on how to replace them and the job was performed by people who had no idea what they were doing.
I will attempt any repair that I figure I can handle, and that is most.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to repair our rigs.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:53 AM   #33

I have no problem paying for qualified technician work but finding a top notch service center can be difficult. I do think doing the work yourself does have the added benefit of learning your coach better.
GreyGoose57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:48 AM   #34

I used to do all of our maintenance on all of our vehicles and equipment including engine overhauls from my first car to a 4020 John Deere, to a D8 Cat engine that had a maximum rpm of 1200. It was of necessity as I couldn't afford to hire anyone to do it. Over the years, I began to pay for the service. Now, I have a trusted service shop that does all of the annual service on the MH and a dealer that has a great staff of qualified techs to handle everything else. I would rather leave it to the pro's and write the check to these trusted businesses. Just check the tires, add fuel and hit the road.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:46 AM   #35

I would say that if you are going to trust youtube videos to guide your work please watch several of them to see if there are differences in how they approach whatever it is. I have watched some that were good and others that were not so good. That is why I have always bought factory shop manuals and use them as a first approach. I agree that a GOOD youtube vid can be a lot of help.

At 78 I use "mechanical advantage devices" a lot. :-))

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:48 AM   #36

Most repair shops use a flat rate manual for the time it takes to complete a project. When they hire a new employee they will usually pass on him or her if they can't do it in 1/2 the time. Already you are being overcharged because of this.
I was a general contractor in my second life for about 16-17 years. I only got jobs by referral and almost never talked price. People knew what to expect and that I would treat them fairly. I never gave quotes and was only asked for an estimate once. If you treat people fairly you win. Not doing that is why most businesses fail.
You are the one that cares most about your rig and no one else will treat it like you you.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:23 AM   #37

If you choose to do your own maintenance or not is a personal choice. But at the least I would learn my coach and it Chassis as much as possible. Drive the coach up on ramps, and spend some time underneath looking everything over. Doing so will give you a couple of things. First the confidence to do some of the work yourself. Second you will know more when work does need to be done. Knowledge is power.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:15 PM   #38

I know my way around a toolbox but I have zero interest in performing routine maintenance for the engine, transmission and chassis. Outside of an air filter or the like I will gladly pay for the service

Other mechanical/12v electrical systems that need attention, no problem, there is always something to fiddle with in that regard.

-Kevin
Old 04-19-2017, 04:37 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
as much as you are comfortable with
Old 04-19-2017, 07:54 PM   #40

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Ah, Pardon me. You are casting an undeserved shadow over the entire repair industry with your broad negative assessments.
I worked in a Cadillac dealership for 16 years and spent five of those years as the service manager. This dealer was as upstanding and honest as anyone could be. The dealership was established in 1911 by the father of the man I worked for. When I was hired in 1963 I was instructed on the value of honesty and fairness. One of the things the owner said was "It is your job to sell anything to a customer he needs. But never sell anything he or her doesn't need".
I have owned an independent repair shop since 1983 and still strongly believe in this statement. I wouldn't have it any other way.
I spend thousands of dollars yearly on equipment and training to serve our customer base as well as possible. Not many see what goes on inside the business but only look at what they want to.
Lynn
Thanks, I read the dealership​ bash post and thought the same as you.

I ain't no band leader but, I also worked for a very reputable fair truck dealer. I take pride in my morals, ethics and integrity when it came to my 30 year professional career in med/heavy truck industry. I too was a service manager, did a stint as a private fleet manager as well branch manager for one of the country's largest fleets.

Not to say that the dealer he referenced wasn't dirty crook, but it's not fair to be so judgemental.

.....But to answer the OP, only do what you feel safe doing. I perform 100% of all my maintenance and repairs. But I'm a Master certified gas and diesel technician with lots of OEM training, with dealer as well manufacturer experience. So I'm comfortable doing it.

But know that there's WAY more to maintenance than just changing fluid and filters.

My advice would be to Google or search here for a class 8 chassis preventative maintenance checklist to help guide you on what you should be looking at.

Better maintenance program = less road side repairs
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:00 PM   #41
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I did a complete service of the coach today..... lube, oil and oil filter, both fuel filters, generator oil, filter and air cleaner. Tire check, wiper washer top off and battery fill. To easily get under my coach, I have to run it up on ramps, so that includes dragging out six large wood ramps and airlines for the power lube gun.

Well.....I've been doing the service on my DP's now for 14 years. I still have the knowledge and skill, but the motivation at 61 years old is starting to wane. It took me three days to finally jump into it today. Because I'm both anal and cheap, I guess I will do it until I can't anymore. The hardest part is the lube work. I would love to find someone to do it, but I actually use a laminated card with color photos identifying all of the zerk fittings. Since it's a fairly new coach to me, I still don't have them memorized and some are hard to locate.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:02 PM   #42

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I change oil/filter and fuel filters and grease the chassis. It's around a $250 savings. The last time a mobile outfit showed up, spilled oil all over the ground, claimed the oil fill tube leaked(it does not leak) and overfilled the crankcase, leaving us with one helluva mess to clean up at a rest stop 200 miles down the road, after draining a good half gallon of oil out. A real challenge with no drain pan or proper tools. Getting the drain plug back in with hot oil flowing was a treat. That was the end of taking it in for an oil change.

Then we got taken for a few hundred dollars for a genset repair that didn't work the next time I tried starting it. It was one of those "certified" Onan/Cummins dealers. I ended up taking the carb off, cleaned out the oil deposited by the propane, put it back together and it's been running great ever since.

I ve developed some amazing hindsight!

Bottom line: Do whatever maintenance that you know you can do properly and safely.

Tags
maintenance