Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2017, 09:45 AM   #29

Before each trip by gauge just to confirm the TST is operating correctly. Then no worries.

Cheers
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2017, 10:17 AM   #30
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdk1220 View Post
How often do you check your tire pressure? I check all tires before I leave on a trip but does anyone check the pressure along the trip? Example: if you travel 500-600 miles and stay for a few days, do you check the pressure before you start out again on your next leg of the trip? Also, what do you use to check the pressure? I have the onboard air compressor but it seems noisy and a bit of a hassle having to leave the engine running. I've been looking at the Via Air RV compressor.
I check mine CONSTANTLY with a TPMS. Anything can happen while on the road. It's very rare that one gets a flat tire while sitting still in the campground...

I find that I pretty much never need to adjust the pressure in my tires. They stay within 2-3 lbs of the target pressure all season for me.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:21 AM   #31

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Think like propane. CO2 is compressed to liquid in a tank. It boils at a low temp producing CO2 gas at about 800+ psi. A regulator reduces to a safe level. I set mine at 150 psi and connect standard air hose. I use a 20 lb tank and it lasts a couple years. I can inflate tires, use blow gun,air tools whatever. No noise and works fast anywhere. I hate those loud little compressors, esp in campgrounds.
rarebear.nm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:47 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
100% of the time, EEZ-RV TPMS.
Ditto...100% of the time

I used to be anal about checking pressures with a gauge and adjusting pressures each time I took readings. It drove me nuts as the pressures seemed to be constantly different from the previous check. I wondered if I had valve leaks as I pulled out the compressor and made adjustments.

Now, when I check the EEZ monitor at early morning coffee the tire pressures read the same each morning....before the sun gets on them...no more variations. I could get the same result with a gauge but my coffee would get cold while I'm outside and each pressure check would release a bit of air. Much easier with the EEZ-Tire System.

So every morning I can do a tire pressure check while drinking my coffee. And the TPMS will continuously monitor pressure and temperature as I drive...both Motorhome and Toad...doesn't get much better or easier than that.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:11 PM   #33
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I check all my tires with a good commercial tire gauge the afternoon before leaving on a trip the next morning. If we stop for more than a couple of days I do the same thing before continuing.

I would rather take 15 minutes for the peace-of-mind. Those tires are expensive!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:35 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
constantly with tpms
Old 04-19-2017, 04:38 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't have a TPMS but I check tire pressures before driving each day.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:45 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlAda View Post
I manually check tire pressure about every month with a guage, but I have TPMS and I check that before hitting the road every morning.

I use a ViAir to keep my tires pressurized. The onboard compressor works, but my tire pressures are maintained at the point where the compressor cycles. ViAir much easier.

What model of ViAir? I need to purchase one.
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:46 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdk1220 View Post
I've looked into the TPMS system but haven bought one yet. Will get on that. One person uses a ViAir and someone uses a CO2 system. (not sure what that is) How do you air up the tires when needed and at a campground or on the road?
If you need to air up a tire in a CG, unless you have been there for 2 or 3 months or more, you need to look for a leak.

If I found a tire 10 psi low and it wasn't a leaky core or extension that I could fix, I would air it up and head for a tire shop.

Playing with air pressure, day after day, just risks creating problems.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:50 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Monthly....or after a stay more than a few days
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:01 PM   #39

I use the Cats eye system. I'll check pressures with the gauge before starting the trip, and a visual walk around at every stop.

Not knocking the TPMS, I've just never found the need to add one to my system, not saying that I won't, just haven't needed it yet.

Tire pressures are run at 110 single, 95 duals, cold pressure.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:05 PM   #40

I put a TST TPMS system on our coach and toad shortly after we got it 2 years ago, and I wouldn't drive another mile without it.

Some interesting observations in the last year:

Wife driving the coach on the interstate south of Salt Lake City, running abut 65 mph. I'm sitting in the passenger seat and start smelling what seems like burning rubber. I grab the TPMS monitor and everyone looks fine, I then see a pick up with a ratty old TT is passing us doing about 80mph, and as it gets about 200 yards ahead, I hear BOOM - wife manages the situation perfectly as the guy with the blown tire on the TT makes it safely off the road.

Dinner with 3 other couples in Dec. while camping in FL. One has a DP, one a TT, the other a 5er. All have had a flat / blow out, the 5er the day he arrived and did about $15k of damage to his RV. None had TPMS systems, but they "had been thinking about getting one".

Piddling around at our coach in our storage facility a month or so ago, and another couple with a Tiffin is driving out and stop by to chat. They are going to "get their tires checked" before they head out of a trip in a couple of days (good for them); however, the wife looks at my tires and says something about "your tire stems don't look like ours" (with TPMS sensors of them).... Neither of them had any idea of what a TPMS system was for an RV .

I just don't get why folks won't invest $400 or $500 to prvovide a very sensible level of protection to avoid a major inconvenience if nothing else, much less miminize major damage to thier RV, or the safety of themselves and others you share the road with.

As for those that fiddle with pressures everyday, you are getting lost in minutia. You set your proper cold pressures with a reasonable deviation given normal expected daily temperature ranges so that you always start out within a reasonable range, at or a bit above your target cold pressure. If you are adding 2 pounds here and and there because it's colder one morning than "normal" for the "season", then drop 2 pounds later when it's a few degrees warmer, just set your cold pressures 2-5 pounds more and be done with it, and don't worry about being being a bit high otherwise (assuming you are under the max. cold tire pressure rating of course). You only drive on "cold pressures" a few miles before pressures and temps start building and the actual hot pressures that you really drive on 99% of the time vary a lot more than 2-5 pounds............

You really shouldn't have to mess with pressures that often, being cognizant of normal air loss and signficant / seasonal temperature deviations (assuming no major changes in weight / weight distribution).

As noted earlier, I've never heard of a blowout sitting stationary, or being able to tell you picked up a nail / puncture and are starting to loose air pressure while you are driving.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:20 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
After 35 years of using a hammer with good success I still do the same thing. I check my pressures with the gauge before a trip and every couple hrs. I stop and walk around
and feel for heat and bang them with my hammer. I can tell by the sound if one is low, and then will check with the gauge. I put a new set on in 15 and have only added a couple pounds to one or two of them after sitting for months. If you are constantly adding air to some tires, like said above get the problem fixed.
That is just my way, everyone has to feel comfortable with their own way.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:51 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrooks View Post
Same here TPMS before I start out every day. Then monitoring as I drive.
X2!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure