Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2017, 11:01 AM   #1

Grand Design Owners Club
How old???

We r just throwing around the idea of maybe going from our 5th wheel to a class A DP for when we fulltime in 2019, God willing. What years for a good used DP should we look for. We don't want to go over 85,000. We would really like paying less than that!! Anyway thanks for info! TJ
tjsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2017, 11:21 AM   #2

Look for a 2006+ Fleetwood Providence or Excursion. In the price range and full of features.

We have put 40,000 miles on our 2006 Providence in the last 2 years and have enjoyed every minute of it.
pplwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 12:01 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I would concentrate on engines prior to the new environmental rules and the use of DEF I think any engine under 85,000 miles. With good service records. Look for new tires. I happen to like Tiffin and Freightliner. Pick a floor plan and then start you search.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:07 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My preference would be 2008 (digital TVs) to 2010 (pollution control changes). Mileage under 85K shouldn't be a problem to find.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:18 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Granted my rig is 20+ yrs old but I will say condition and care/upkeep trump age any day of the week. Fine the floorplan you like then start shopping for make/model/etc...
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:11 PM   #6

Pick your budget range, and be sure to leave enough contingency funds for any catch up maintenance or modifications to make the coach, your coach! (If $85K is your range, drop to say $75K, and retain the balance...).

Drop model years to remain within budget, and buy the highest quality coach that meets your needs. IMO, having a higher end good quality built coach, even up to 5-10 years older - pays dividends by having superior chassis, construction technique, insulation values and better materials. They become a great 'foundation' to roll on down the road...

Our short list, in no particular order:
-Alpine (They have the Peak chassis, and some have the mid entry doors, if that appeals to you.)
-Beaver (Patriot Thunder and Marquis were what we were targeting.)
-Country Coach (Allure/Intrigue/Magna/Affinity - with the Intrigue I felt being the sweet spot in the line up, with the optional BIG BLOCK CAT engine.)
-Monaco (Executive and Signature. The Dynasty is a well thought of coach too, usually with the mid sized ISC or ISL depending on age. And some model years, the Windsor came out somewhere pretty well equipped too. Rad the Monaco Owner's section on specifics of these specific models. The Roadmaster RR8 or above, believe older higher end Executive and Signature had the S Frame, but that is off of memory so again with validating.) And also look at the Holiday Rambler (Monaco Built) equivalent of the above models.
-Newmar - Moutain Aire on up
-Bluebirds/Wanderlodges
-Travel Supreme
-Foretravel U295/U320

(The above is not intended to be a complete listing, but represents in simple terms the B- to A+ level coaches, that us mere mortals purchase. (Newell, Prevost Built - is a different conversation for sure!

I was just asked to look this add over for a friend, as he was trying to decide between staying below $100K level, or jump to the $140-160K level... And he sent me several coaches to review. This was just a short while ago, and it's still on the site. I though it was representative of a good solid foundation coach, say a solid B level in the above pecking order of coaches mentioned. (Not an insult, just my opinion. And I have an 04 Allure, so very similar to this unit, and I have not problem considering it to be B level grade coach.

This coach has the awnings that actually work, vs some of the coaches that have the electric that come out and are not adjustable to tilt. Good quality wood work, lots of counter space top (Surprisingly missing in lots of coaches, even many 45' coaches have less counter space then this 40'.), electronics have been updated. Pictures indicate no obvious care problems, and miles are reasonable for the model year, even on the low side for that age of coach. The ISL370 has a useable 2 Stage Jake Brake. And I'll call it 'adequate' power for the coach. (I would have liked a bit more, but when the DW saw our rigs' galley counter top, it was 'game over'.

It's a representation of what is available in your price range. (Note: No opinion on the pricing of this unit. I've seen them lower, and I've seen them higher. But, i will share my opinion I'd rather pay maybe $3-6K higher then normal for a coach, IF it has been supremely maintained and modified. Sometimes getting rock bottom price on a coach, ends up costing more in the long run to set things right that were not maintained well.

2003 Allure 40′ | Premier RV

And as with many things about RV'ing - opinions will vary!

Happy hunting. Go slow, and do your homework!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:12 PM   #7

For $85K, you should be able to get a nice DP. Since you want to full time, you want one that can carry and pull a lot of weight, and enough room. You want one that has been well taken care and the maintenance records to prove it. It would be good if you could meet the owners. I would stick with manufacturers such as Newmar, Tiffin and Country Couch.

I would also search this forum. There are lots of great threads about what to look for in a used diesel and what manufacturers have the best reputations.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:48 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We really love our 2002 Windsor!

02Windsor.pdf
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:26 AM   #9

Grand Design Owners Club
Thank you everyone for all the great information. We had no idea what manufacturer to even look at. Smitty 77 that is a beautiful coach! Like I said throwing around idea, so we have 2 years to look. Thanks again TJ
tjsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:05 AM   #10

I'm so very glad I found this thread.
We are beginning the process of looing for a Class A Diesel Pusher to travel the US for the next 2-3 years.
I've found a company South of Chattanooga that has several Class A Diesels that are 15-20 years old and they appear to be priced attractively. This information is very helpful.

Wm Mayberry
Looking???
wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:39 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Smitty gave excellent advice. Search the classified section of this forum, PPL Motorhomes, RVT.com, and RVTrader.com.

Learn to rank your search by price (low to hi) and do not limit your search to the local area. You can easily save $20k by traveling across the country.

Be careful as prices are all over the place for the same year-make-model. Some dealers are still in the old used car sales mode. Learn who they are and avoid them.

Be prepared to replace/repair several items.
Watch tire age (not more than 7 years old) as they can be $5-7k.

Ask what the engine size and torque rating is, not the HP rating. Two coaches can have a 300hp engine and one can be 5.9L with 800 ft lbs and the other can be 8.3L with 1050 ft lbs. Guess which one will pull the hills and tow better!

Do not trust sale persons. Most will know less about the coach than you (if you do your homework).
Download the original brochures for legacy coaches and be familiar with them.

My final advice: Look for a 2002-2006 Monaco Dynasty, Windsor, or Executive. They are very well built and there are some bargains out there.
Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:34 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Pick your budget range, and be sure to leave enough contingency funds for any catch up maintenance or modifications to make the coach, your coach! (If $85K is your range, drop to say $75K, and retain the balance...).

Drop model years to remain within budget, and buy the highest quality coach that meets your needs. IMO, having a higher end good quality built coach, even up to 5-10 years older - pays dividends by having superior chassis, construction technique, insulation values and better materials. They become a great 'foundation' to roll on down the road...

Our short list, in no particular order:
-Alpine (They have the Peak chassis, and some have the mid entry doors, if that appeals to you.)
-Beaver (Patriot Thunder and Marquis were what we were targeting.)
-Country Coach (Allure/Intrigue/Magna/Affinity - with the Intrigue I felt being the sweet spot in the line up, with the optional BIG BLOCK CAT engine.)
-Monaco (Executive and Signature. The Dynasty is a well thought of coach too, usually with the mid sized ISC or ISL depending on age. And some model years, the Windsor came out somewhere pretty well equipped too. Rad the Monaco Owner's section on specifics of these specific models. The Roadmaster RR8 or above, believe older higher end Executive and Signature had the S Frame, but that is off of memory so again with validating.) And also look at the Holiday Rambler (Monaco Built) equivalent of the above models.
-Newmar - Moutain Aire on up
-Bluebirds/Wanderlodges
-Travel Supreme
-Foretravel U295/U320

(The above is not intended to be a complete listing, but represents in simple terms the B- to A+ level coaches, that us mere mortals purchase. (Newell, Prevost Built - is a different conversation for sure!

I was just asked to look this add over for a friend, as he was trying to decide between staying below $100K level, or jump to the $140-160K level... And he sent me several coaches to review. This was just a short while ago, and it's still on the site. I though it was representative of a good solid foundation coach, say a solid B level in the above pecking order of coaches mentioned. (Not an insult, just my opinion. And I have an 04 Allure, so very similar to this unit, and I have not problem considering it to be B level grade coach.

This coach has the awnings that actually work, vs some of the coaches that have the electric that come out and are not adjustable to tilt. Good quality wood work, lots of counter space top (Surprisingly missing in lots of coaches, even many 45' coaches have less counter space then this 40'.), electronics have been updated. Pictures indicate no obvious care problems, and miles are reasonable for the model year, even on the low side for that age of coach. The ISL370 has a useable 2 Stage Jake Brake. And I'll call it 'adequate' power for the coach. (I would have liked a bit more, but when the DW saw our rigs' galley counter top, it was 'game over'.

It's a representation of what is available in your price range. (Note: No opinion on the pricing of this unit. I've seen them lower, and I've seen them higher. But, i will share my opinion I'd rather pay maybe $3-6K higher then normal for a coach, IF it has been supremely maintained and modified. Sometimes getting rock bottom price on a coach, ends up costing more in the long run to set things right that were not maintained well.

2003 Allure 40′ | Premier RV

And as with many things about RV'ing - opinions will vary!

Happy hunting. Go slow, and do your homework!
Smitty
Smitty's answer was spot on!
Just to add a couple of things, on the Monaco coach's, the chassis are "RR8S, RR8R, and RR10S. the S at the end means side radiator, (best) and the R on the end means (rear radiator) the 8 means 8 tires, and the 10 means 10 tires, (tag axel)! R means RoadMaster chassis! And so you know these chassis have 8 air bags/shocks or 10 airbags/shocks, and ride very well!
Also our 38' Monaco Windsor has more counter top space than most! Ours is a 1996, so 20+ years old also! Rail!

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail Inside pic of Mona!.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	183662
Old 11-23-2017, 05:23 AM   #13

More great information!

I'm at the point that I don't even know what I don't know.

So I'm on a steep learning curve to get some idea of what to look for in age, brands, price, HP,(now torque), layout, and then some kind of physical inspection of rook and????

Thanks,

Wm Mayberry
wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:52 AM   #14

Starting out—as you are finding out—can be a little overwhelming at first to figure out what to look for and how to do it. Just keep reading all over here on this forum and the dots will begin to connect in your mind and you'll get a lot more fuller picture knowing what to do and what to look for. As you're searching around this forum, make several category folders and bookmark POI because you'll probably need this information down the road. Also don't forget youtube. YT is jammed with great how-to maintenance and update videos once you've made your purchase.

Once you've done your research and are ready now to go find your coach, BE READY to act fast. Good coaches sell fast. If you find THE ONE but are still hesitant and go home to think about it, more than likely when you come back, "It will be gone".

If you want a "Text Book Example" of how to properly and thoroughly shop for and buy a used DP, then narrow it down to the one you think you want, then go through the inspection process, dealing with the owner, PDI and all then closing the deal.....READ THIS POST.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/i-th...oo-327364.html

I see you're in Indiana. So Texas is not that far away. Below is a link to a Northeast Texas dealer that specializes in used DP's. They usually always have a good inventory even though right now they are a little low (I just checked). They will insure everything is working as it should before you leave, and they even can do custom modifications, interior updates if you want etc. These guys are great to work with. If I was looking for a used DP, other than from private owners, they would be on the top of my list to find a DP.

http://motorhomesoftexas.com

Also, this "buying a used DP" question has been asked many times on this site. If you want to find these threads and learn from what advice others were given, here's how to do a forum search:

How to do a forum search:
• Go to the top of the page with the different forum options and choose:
• RV Forums - drop down menu to Class A Motorhomes
• Once that main forum page loads, go to the green search box at the top and to the right and type in what you’re looking for

You'll find 100's if not 1,000's of posts for what you're looking for.

Lastly, here's a former post of mine that I learned, when we first started going out looking at used MH's:
My wife & I drove 3hrs. to see a private seller's DP and we talked over the phone for about an hour before we drove up to his place. He swore everything was well maintained, ran good, and had receipts etc. Once we arrived, we took a quick look at it inside first. It looked beautiful from the outside and the inside wasn't to bad either, however not much head room for me. I'm 6' 3" and this rig has a low ceiling. But we decided to take it for a drive. Came back and I asked him if I could crawl under the chassis on my crawler and have a look. He said sure. So I did. Within 15 minutes I discovered both front ball joint boots were blown and had no grease in them, play in the driveshaft as I rocked it back & forth, moved to the back of the rig under the engine and the lift pump was leaking which to me, that not only needed tending to, but once they go, the high pressure pump usually goes too in short order too. I crawled out and told him I was going to pass. We were there a total of about 4hrs. If I would of crawled under it first, the total time there would of been 30 minutes and I didn't spend a dime having stuff looked at or inspected.

Lesson learned, bring a crawler, don't spend a lot of time or money checking an MH out if you can determine some things right off the bat that are visually troubling. Just move on the next coach.

Good luck my friend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	irv2-search-box.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	183666  
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote