Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2017, 05:47 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyspecrace View Post
I know everyone is different, but I am a value shopper and want a lot for what I spend. When I look at what the new rigs cost, I can get so much more buying used. 10-20 year old coaches are a bargain when comparing to new. I have busy detailing the paint and doing some routine maintenance on my "new" old coach.
Attachment 155417
Attachment 155418

How old?? Looks very, very clean.

The more I consider a used mid-high end coach vs a new Low end one (i.e. /mtn aire/foretravel vs new ventana le, etc), the more I think I need to be patient and try and find a used one. Having a fifth wheel toy hauler for trade makes it harder though as I need to look at dealerships
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2017, 06:42 PM   #44

We have a 1990 DP that cost over $200k brand new. Bought it about 5 years ago and have driven it extensively. We recently remodeled the inside. It is built like a tank and runs like a top. But the best thing of all... I have the title.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:29 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
How old?? Looks very, very clean.

The more I consider a used mid-high end coach vs a new Low end one (i.e. /mtn aire/foretravel vs new ventana le, etc), the more I think I need to be patient and try and find a used one. Having a fifth wheel toy hauler for trade makes it harder though as I need to look at dealerships

It is 10 years old and is overall in very good shape. I tend to be very meticulous so I'm going a little overboard showing the new coach some love. I buffed and waxed the roof, it was oxidized, but not terribly. I have cleaned the paint with paint cleaning clay, polished and waxed the whole coach. From here on out, it will be easier to keep clean. I've also done all filters and fluids and will be putting new tires on later this week. The batteries were new last year. Between my purchase price, tires and a few other little things, I will have roughly $157k in it and it will be in tip top shape. MSRP was $468k
Old 03-21-2017, 07:30 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyspecrace View Post
It is 10 years old and is overall in very good shape. I tend to be very meticulous so I'm going a little overboard showing the new coach some love. I buffed and waxed the roof, it was oxidized, but not terribly. I have cleaned the paint with paint cleaning clay, polished and waxed the whole coach. From here on out, it will be easier to keep clean. I've also done all filters and fluids and will be putting new tires on later this week. The batteries were new last year. Between my purchase price, tires and a few other little things, I will have roughly $157k in it and it will be in tip top shape. MSRP was $468k

Thanks for sharing that info. Looks and sounds like you have a heck of a nice coach there. And the price point looks awfully good too!
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:32 PM   #47

No problem. I purchased it in Canada and imported it. I really think it would have sold much faster if it was in the states.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:48 PM   #48

cross country owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by markarbogast View Post
I have a 2007 Sportcoach Cross Country that purrs like a big cat.
19500 miles on it. It ain't ev n broke in yet. I had no problem getting a loan and extended warranty.
Hi there markarbogast: Nice to run across another Cross Country owner, ours is a 2006 376DS we love it, getting into a DP that has ALOT life left in her is a barging!!
Mike
MobileOneDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:54 AM   #49

I purchased a 1998 Country Coach back in 2010. It has the older fully mechanical Cummins 8.3 ltr with the Allison 3060 Tranny. You could not find a better match for engine and tranny. I have the original paperwork and back in 1998 it was ordered with every option and upgrade that was available at the time. The cost was $350k. I may not have the biggest or most horsepower engine but I don't have to be the first one at the top of the hill but I do know I'll get there. Plus I like the 9.5 mpg I'm getting.
jeepersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:03 AM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
2001 DS roll out $50k

Bought our 2001 - 38.5 Newmar DS, 3rd hand. Cost was $47k, rolled off lot for $50k 2 yrs ago. Had no problem getting $25 financed thru a local credit union. I agree "I'll keep what I have" newer ones have a modern look to them but I just can't swallow the added cost. Ours is clean and looks well kept. 2 more years and I'll have it paid off.
Only issue is some camp grounds only want new ones in them. Kind of rubs me the wrong way when I read nothing older than 10 years is allowed to stay in their RV park. I say to heck with them, I'll spend my money some where else!
Mike

10/18/19 Dutch has passed but still travels with us in our hearts :(
mikee409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:19 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee409 View Post
Bought our 2001 - 38.5 Newmar DS, 3rd hand. Cost was $47k, rolled off lot for $50k 2 yrs ago. Had no problem getting $25 financed thru a local credit union. I agree "I'll keep what I have" newer ones have a modern look to them but I just can't swallow the added cost. Ours is clean and looks well kept. 2 more years and I'll have it paid off.
Only issue is some camp grounds only want new ones in them. Kind of rubs me the wrong way when I read nothing older than 10 years is allowed to stay in their RV park. I say to heck with them, I'll spend my money some where else!
Mike

Most 10yr limit rv parks will still accept an older restored coach. Mine is 15 yrs old but had full body paint from the factory when new. I have stayed in several 10yr parks. When I call to make reservations I just tell them that I have a new full body paint because the paint does still look new. Have never had any issues, even get compliments on its appearance.
The main reason most say this is to keep the older and neglected rv's out.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:57 AM   #52

National RV Owners Club
I have see Wonder Lodges from the 60's that I would still be proud to own.

Our coach is 16 years old and we still love it.

jaywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:33 AM   #53

Just bought my new to us 2002 Monaco Signature. No problem with a loan, I guess credit score over 800 might of helped.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywolf View Post
I have see Wonder Lodges from the 60's that I would still be proud to own.

Our coach is 16 years old and we still love it.

I have a friend that has a ninety three Wanderlodge and it has a two cycle detroit diesel. Big V8 configeration. Really a nice coach with a tag axle at forty feet long. But my understanding is that those two cycle engines are not allowed to be sold on a motor home in California. I could be wrong, but that is what they were telling.

But I do agree with you that those to me are one of the best coaches built by Blue Bird industries. They only manufacture school buses now, no more motor homes.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:34 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Hello All,

I just brought home a 2000 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage in December. I paid 38,000.00 for it and the nada guide said it was worth 43,500 at the time. I read about it on this forum and everybody said it was a great coach. I do have good credit so I was able to finance it.

So far, everytime I take it out it rains. The only time it did not rain was when I drove it home. I took it to California for Christmas right after I got it. Rained the whole way there. Took it out to Lake Mead twice and it rained on me both times. Went to Pahranagat National Wildlife Refuge and it rained everyday. Tomorrow the Weather forcast is for rain in Pismo Beach. For a place that only gets about 6 inches a year, I feel that driving my coach will bring Nevada out of a drought.

This is my first motorhome. I am happy with what I have. I expect things to break on a 17 year old vehicle that spent its life in the desert. I am excited about making this my own. I plan to add 400 watts solar and build a home theater system in it. I am finding little things that sometimes work are annoying, but I am figuring it out.
signet63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:10 PM   #56

I bought this for just under NADA wholesale... it's nothing fancy, but it's paid for. The previous owner purchased it for nearly twice what I paid only two years before me.

The interior has faux oak that looks bad, needs new flooring and probably new tires, but everything else seems to be working fine. I put a bit of money to get an inverter and solar, but I'm happy with my main requirements... full body paint and double pane windows that hadn't failed and fogged up.

I think I'm gonna add pinstripes to the paint to give it more definition and to modernize the look. It's 15 years old, but it still looks fairly nice on the outside...

I did update it a little... I removed the TV lump box from the overhead and mounted my TV to the side... and found place to mount my bike... too expensive to leave outside and now it's really out of the way. It looks a little cluttered, but I'm enjoying my modifications. Utilitarian works for me.