RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2017, 07:05 AM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinityfan View Post
Do they assess the value of the coach as well?
No, just current status of all the systems, interiors, exteriors, any problem signs like water intrusion points, broken latches, etc. kind of like a home inspection on an RV. They can also do fluid samples of the crankcase, tranny, radiator and the lab report will tell you what's going inside the engine. Good investment.
Mikey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2017, 08:04 AM   #58

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post
I have a friend that has a ninety three Wanderlodge and it has a two cycle detroit diesel. Big V8 configeration. Really a nice coach with a tag axle at forty feet long. But my understanding is that those two cycle engines are not allowed to be sold on a motor home in California. I could be wrong, but that is what they were telling.

But I do agree with you that those to me are one of the best coaches built by Blue Bird industries. They only manufacture school buses now, no more motor homes.
I'm on my 2nd one. I will say that once you buy an older "high end" unit you can't switch back to a newer "entry level" unit at triple the price. Those that own a higher end unit will understand..everything is top shelf and no corners are cut...everything is steel and hardwood. Yes it's old, but if it's been kept up nothing is "worn out"..not even close (except maybe the fridge).

FYI one of the guys in our BlueBird group just hit 1 million miles in his 88 mechanical 8v92 powered Bird (had inframe done around 800k)! Here's a pic of it:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	million mile PT.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	155920  
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:09 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurdock View Post
FYI one of the guys in our BlueBird group just hit 1 million miles in his 88 mechanical 8v92 powered Bird (had inframe done around 800k)! Here's a pic of it:
Those are gorgeous. I wish I could have found one in my price range... those are selling for a fair bit of coin in great condition. My KS is entry level, but I bought it because the coach itself is great and isn't a rattle trap. I would have loved a vintage Wanderlodge. There was a 28' that I was really interested in but it was way out of my price range.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:39 AM   #60

Tiffin Owners Club
I picked up a '98 Newmar Dutch Star Cat/Allison for $25k. 13k miles. I spent a little time and money to put in hard floor, refresh all the belts/hoses/fluids/filters, new furniture, upgraded TVs, tires, bed, lighting, plumbing fixtures, tankless water heater, etc. Did most of the work myself. Now I have something that is pleasant to live in, very well-made, and best of all - NO PAYMENTS.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 04:34 PM   #61

Finance

I bought a 2004 Endeavor (holiday rambler) I bought it from a dealer, they didn't have any problems getting the financing, I even got a good rate.
The dealer said the banks are starting to look at the older RVs for financing.
I bought this because it had everything we wanted, so buying used was the way to go.
bigd4752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 05:17 PM   #62

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have a 1994 Holiday Rambler that we Love! We are making it our own slowly. It actually just got out of the shop for new ACs, gray/black tanks, fridge, roof reseal and some new running lights. We did spend some money, but we don't have a RV note to pay and don't take any expensive trips like some other families we know.

So our thinking.....Why try to get a newer RV, when we love ours and can slowly upgrade different items.

Good luck!
Old 05-13-2017, 10:09 PM   #63

When I look at what the new rigs cost, I can get so much more buying used. 10-20 year old coaches are a bargain when comparing to new. I have busy detailing the paint and doing some routine maintenance on my "new" old coach.
Attachment 155417
Attachment 155418[/QUOTE]

I have the same idea.
Its beautiful.

Lee
staggerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:18 PM   #64

The interior has faux oak that looks bad, needs new flooring and probably new tires, but everything else seems to be working fine. I put a bit of money to get an inverter and solar, but I'm happy with my main requirements... full body paint and double pane windows that hadn't failed and fogged up.

I think I'm gonna add pinstripes to the paint to give it more definition and to modernize the look. It's 15 years old, but it still looks fairly nice on the outside...

The paint looks fine to me.
Save your money on the pen stripes.

Lee

[/QUOTE]
staggerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:30 AM   #65

So here is something interesting.

In another post you will see i have a high deductible extended warranty the cost is about 1500 per year for a motorhome that is 15 years old.

Do not want to debate the value of that well it was up for renewal. They have an online pricing tool and they have the historical cost of repair.

So i decided to price some other motorhomes just to see what the cost where:
2011 Monaco 1200 per year
2013 Winnebago tour 1800 per year
2014 phaeton over 2000 per year

when you looked at the ones in the 2008-2010 range most major brands stayed under 1500 in general.

ran out of time to price some newer models.

To those that posted pictures of their motorhomes fantastic views some look new and others love the care.

I have spent many hours restoring/updated ours and really have no desire to trade. But i do love looking at new ideas and always thing of ways to integrate in our motorhome and someday we will likely get a new one not for a while but someday.