Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2017, 02:32 PM   #1

How old is too Old for Pusher

We have 2002 Pusher with about 45k. I think it is great shape runs great and drives great.

I was told by the dealers around here that over 10 years old they really do not want them as they cannot get loans for people wanting to buy them.

We often travel 1000-1200 miles in ours and drive about 7000-10000 miles per year depending on our work schedule.

Got me thinking well what is too old.

So I was curious whatever thinks is too old.

I see some folks with ones in the 90's making them 20+ years old.

Just curious.
boyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2017, 02:56 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with you. Some of the older diesel coaches are great. Unfortunatly the banks and dealers have a used car mentality and will not loan on older models.
1997 and older Cummins are mechanical engines with few electronics to go out. Great engines.
It does take an effort to keep them going like new and some owners are not willing to spend the time or money.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:28 PM   #3
DTS

Country Coach Owners Club
The result of the 10-year loan restrictions is that there are some very good buys on older DP's. Precisely because of the lack of ability to finance, the market price on these coaches is driven way down. If you can swing a cash purchase, or use some other way to finance it (home equity loan, etc.), 10-20 year-old diesel pushers are the best value in RV's, in my opinion. In that age range you can get what was a top-of-the-line luxury coach back in that day, for a fraction of what an entry-level or mid-level coach that's under 10 years old would cost you. That said, the dealer is right. If the trade-in value down the road is an important factor to you, take it into consideration.
1998 Country Coach 40' Intrigue #10544
DTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:39 PM   #4

Mine is 2002. We look a lot at newer ones, but I have made a lot of upgrades to ours that would have to be made again to the tune of around 20K. Just can't see anything that comes close. I tend look at what we would gain in a newer one compared to the cost differential I would pay. Have not been able to justify the upgrade.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:51 PM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We recently went to a Dealer and wanted to trade our Class A and toad for a truck and fifth wheel, the dealer in question had a Ford dealership as well.

At first they were not interested until they saw our unit. It is a 1998.
Turned out that they were ready to deal, there reason was they always have cash buyers looking for good used Motor Homes. Pocket buyers they called it.

We were not able to make a deal as nothing they had suited us.
The salesman pointed out to me they always find buyers for well maintained units as long as they are reasonably priced.
Our 1998 is mint with low miles and know I could sell it in a heart beat.
I don't blame the banks or the finance company's there is a lot of risk when financing items that are depreciated to the max.

A lot of salesman will keep a pocket list that banks won't touch. Find a good salesman and they will put a person in a good unit for for a finders fee.

But you have to have cash as it talks. Or a line of credit at a bank where what you buy is your business.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:54 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Well ... I'm 60 and feel like I've still got more than a couple of good years in me!
Old 03-17-2017, 04:05 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
There is no such thing as too old. Its all in what one can afford and what each individual likes. While some of us prefer new, many like saving money and by used. True, finance companies shy away loan money on an older coaches but if the price is low enough there is always signature loans or even a small second mortgage option. A 20 year old pusher can run as well as a 2 year old pusher with a little TLC.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyland View Post

I was told by the dealers around here that over 10 years old they really do not want them as they cannot get loans for people wanting to buy them.
That's true of any rv, though, not just diesel pushers, but I don't think that makes anything that is well taken care of "too old". We sold our over 15 year old class C in 5 days to a cash buyer, and had others lined up. It was well taken care of, and priced right.

The only thing that lack of loans does is limit the buyer pool and drive the depreciation to the bottom. If you're looking for older, that's a benefit. If you like what you've got and don't want to sell, it doesn't matter.
wildeflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:58 PM   #9

We have a 96 safari with 45000 miles and still works and drives great we love it, no notes, engine fairly easy to work on, no DEF to worry about or regen of exhaust filters I wouldn't have it any other way, personally I won't own any diesel with new pollution control on it.
Poohbear7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:16 PM   #10

Love my 16 year old DSDP. We've owned it for about 6 years. Value has gone down about $10k....a fraction of what it would have been with a much newer model after 6 years. It's well maintained and is in excellent condition. I get compliments wherever I go. Have considered moving up to new or relatively new...can't seem to convince myself of the benefit.
mineralslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:21 PM   #11

Two years ago we were out looking for a new DP. We had set our budget at 200k. We test drove all the main mid level manufacturers. Nothing seemed to win me over, as there were always some flaws, or the coach didn't drive as nice as I thought a DP should.
Ended up purchasing a then 13 yr. old Country Coach. Saved 125k and got a better built, and nicer riding coach. I plan on driving this another 15 yrs, and personally I don't care what it's worth then. Buying a new coach I would lose the same in resale in just 6 or 7 years, as I paid for my used one.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:31 PM   #12

Older motor home or TT

Plenty of folks who own older rigs. Check out the vintage forum. Our RV is twenty years old and is much better..sturdier than the same RV in the newer model years.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:55 PM   #13

I am as knew to this as anyone but I did talk to a dealer today who told me the depreciation was brutal the first year but if you held onto the coach 4-5 years then you come out ok. He said the tough years was 10 years and older. He said his reasoning was hard to get financing which hurt the resale. Take what I said with a grain of salt. I am strictly telling you what he told me today..
The Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:00 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2007 Sportcoach Cross Country that purrs like a big cat.
19500 miles on it. It ain't ev n broke in yet. I had no problem getting a loan and extended warranty.
markarbogast is offline   Reply With Quote