Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2023, 06:32 PM   #1

How old of date codes on new tires?

Just had my new tires delivered and they are four weeks short of being in the year 2022, so less than a year and a half old… is that acceptable? I’ve heard people get tires new with four year old date codes before that seems crazy to me!
cm2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2023, 06:40 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
6 months or less I would purchase. So less than a year and a half old I would pass.
AlanTerry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 06:40 PM   #3

Buying new tires, spending that much money--try for less that one year, I certainly wouldn't accept more that two years!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 06:49 PM   #4

JMHO : any dating over six months ( considering RV tire lifespan ) I'd be after a big discount , % based on life expectancy .

The new tires I had installed were only 7 weeks out of the mold.
Old 05-04-2023, 07:06 PM   #5

Thanks guys I did get a really good deal on them but they are already here so I’m guessing a year and a half is not bad but not good? The problem is places won’t go look or guarantee dates
Old 05-04-2023, 07:08 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Back in 2021 I needed new tires but at the time selection was scarce. I called 3 different companies near me, none had the size I needed in stock but could get the size. I wanted Toyo, nope, none to be found. All 3 vendors listed the same tires available>> meaning they weer all pulling from the same regional warehouse. I decided to go with Yokohama (at least I new the name and had some previous experience with them). Went with the vendor that I had a good recommendation on.

Went to get the tires installed and was PO'd that the tires were 6 months old, the vendor said take them or leave them, either way he'd be able to sell them. With no other choice I had them installed. Am pleased with the tires at least.

I wouldn't accept a tire that was older then 1 year unless you got a good discount. Ideally you should change tires at 7 years so 1/7=~14%
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 07:09 PM   #7

Since your deal is good, I'd run them. Frequent inspections as always.
Tachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 07:19 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No older 6 months is what I've requested the 3 times replacing my tire. Never had a problem getting them, but I also told dealer I would refuse the tires if older. They agreed to the condition prior to ordering them.

Also make sure they use 2 jacks on axles.
Old 05-04-2023, 08:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRVer View Post
No older 6 months is what I've requested the 3 times replacing my tire. Never had a problem getting them, but I also told dealer I would refuse the tires if older. They agreed to the condition prior to ordering them.

Also make sure they use 2 jacks on axles.
Thanks, 5 tires are of the last 3-4 weeks of 2021 so less than a year and a half by a little and the 6th is just a few months old. I’ve messaged them on what to do because I was told they couldn’t guarantee the date codes but mine were coming out of Las Vegas and they would be the freshest… well clearly that wasn’t the case if one of them was a few months old, I doubt it got to the warehouse by itself…

Also as to making sure they use two jacks… THANK YOU!! For the advice!! Making sure my rig is okay is by far more important to me than an extra year on the date codes! What exactly do you mean by that though? Position then where and why so I can tell them if they don’t? Thanks!
cm2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 08:53 PM   #10

Just had new Continental Coach steers installed. I specified <6 months. At first they came back with in-stock 14 month old tires. I said "no" and they got a pair shipped in with 4922 date codes, so 4 months old.

Clearly, any dealer wants to use existing stock, but if you push them they can get fresher tires.
Old 05-05-2023, 05:56 AM   #11

I bought new tires a couple years ago... when the first set showed up, they were a bit over a year old.... I would not accept them. They were sent back and the next set was 3 months old when I got them.
Old 05-05-2023, 06:28 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Seems to be a recurring theme ordering tires online. Even if the price is less, your length of usable service time is less too, so I'm not sure if there's any value there.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 09:12 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
6 month old maximum or they prorate the tire based on a 5 year service life.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 11:41 PM   #14

Thanks guys! I’ve requested a return. One of the reasons for return is not happy with the dot code so they are clearly familiar! If they want to discount them greatly then fine otherwise they can have them back and return my money…

Tags
tire, tires