Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2015, 11:36 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
How or Why do Motorhomes End up at Auction?

Several dealers have told us they buy coaches at auction. All said they make sure everything works. One replaces the flooring with hardwood, puts on new tires and provides a $500 deductible warranty. I'm sure there are more dealers like this. How do all these coaches get there?
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2015, 11:42 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
lack of payment,
bankruptcy,
abandonment,
dealers closing down...
Old 12-24-2015, 11:43 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Or just a dealer took more units in on trade than he can sell. So he sends the excess to auction, just like they do with used cars.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:46 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Have you ever driven around an RV storage yard. Half of them haven't been used in years and are just rotting away. Many of these either end up as a rolling meth lab, go to auction or the junkyard.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:57 AM   #5

Some come from lending institutions that gave a 20 year loan to an 80 year old customer.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 12:08 PM   #6

Some dealers take trades of motor homes just to make the sale of a new one. Rather than spend the time and effort to clean up and sell the trade they send it out to auction for quick sale.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:07 PM   #7

These units are purchased at auctions by dealers all across the country. So if your looking at a unit for sale in Arizona, it might have been obtained from an auction from the not so sunny northeast. We spoke to many "dealers" who attend these auctions on a regular basis, drive it across country and list it for sale. The units we were interested in had Aqua Hot units and many were damaged when they weren't properly winterized when left for auction in colder climates. The dealers generally know nothing about these units history.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:19 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On another thread I spoke of buying out of town. The MH I purchase from a dealer was acquired by him from an auction at Lazydays. They LD, replace the seats, tires and few other items to make it salable.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Have you ever driven around an RV storage yard. Half of them haven't been used in years and are just rotting away. Many of these either end up as a rolling meth lab, go to auction or the junkyard.
Right, ever watch the TV series Breaking Bad?
Old 12-24-2015, 01:33 PM   #10

Here is a popular one. They describe them well. You can scroll down to closed auctions and see what they went for.
CrankyApe.com - Online RV, Camper and Travel Trailer Auctions
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 06:32 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
Here is a popular one. They describe them well. You can scroll down to closed auctions and see what they went for.
CrankyApe.com - Online RV, Camper and Travel Trailer Auctions
Are you aware of any other sites like that one ? They really seem to describe them well.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 06:52 PM   #12

I went to a local auction earlier this month to look at what was available at a local auction. I wanted to get a idea on prices however that part was behind closed doors and I didn't want to pay to register. Arrived late and just didn't have time

Walked through probably two dozen RV's, most in the 5-10 year old area... Some were in A+ condition while others were very rough.

Some of the coaches had stickers from a bank, mostly Bank of America and my assumption is there were repossessed. Others had missing parts, body damage etc.... My guess as stated above is some of these were trade ins and the dealerhsip didn't want to deal with fixing them.

I hope to head back a few more times to their auctions and get a idea of prices.....
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 07:09 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My coach was a repo from an owner in Florida. Dealer was in South Carolina and now the coach is in Virginia. Got a very good deal but the dealer didn't replace the floor or tires. All six tires were bald on a coach with 18,000 miles. Drove the price down even deeper. Excellent coach that hasn't seen the yard of a service center in five camping seasons.

I suspect a dealership with a focus on new rigs isn't going to keep something that is much south of fives year old on the lot and will send to the whole sale auction. The dealer I purchased from was strictly used rigs. Towable, A's, C's and the warranty expired at the curb.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:24 PM   #14

Sometimes a used car lot will take a MH in as a trade. They will keep it around for a bit because it will bring in a few people, and then put it on an auction. Someone who is able to quickly evaluate a coach and do the necessary work themselves can sometimes get a good deal. On the other hand, some RV dealers don't even know what they have. I emailed a dealer that advertised a coach that simply doesn't exist, telling him that it was either A or B. He insisted that he described the coach correctly. Shortly after our email conversation the coach was no longer on his lot.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes