Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2014, 09:13 PM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
I could be ready to roll in an hour if hubby helped with checking fluids, etc. I keep the tubs of stuff for the RV in the house in the winter so it doesn't freeze. In the RV, I keep a go bag...( big backpack) with hiker's meals, matches... all those emergency things ... 3 day supply of food for 2 folks, and some dog food in vacuum sealed bags or the pooch. we'd need to fill water and throw some clothes in, and fill the fridge.

It wouldn't be an ideal departure if we had to get out quick...but we would have basic supplies and could shop when we were clear of danger.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2014, 09:05 AM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We are always ready too go,
ME,
tanks filled including propane,
fluids filled , if no leaks
check tires, air bags,
hook up KarKaddy and load
Unhook form shore power.
Ready
other 1/2
Pack suitcase
throw food's in bags
Get Meds,
Get girls ready
bring out to MH.
I'm guessing Maybe 2 hours.
Where are we going?
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:21 AM   #31
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We keep the MH plugged in all the time when we are not traveling. We leave the fridge on AC and the temp on 50. It wouldn't take long to throw in a few things and hit the road!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:56 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV View Post
Hey All...

I always like to be super prepared for whatever comes my way.

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Especially when it comes to the current state of things in which we live.

That being said, how prepared do you keep your coach?

Is she ready to go on literally a minute's notice or do you have to get things prepared once you decide to head out?

Just curious.

Happy New Year.
I keep mine full of water and fuel and store in an underground limestone cave, I live in tornado area, but any natural disaster other than maybe earthquake I am loaded and ready to go other than refrigerated products. But I have 2 plastic tubs that I use to take items from S&B house to the coach so I would be able to sustain ourselves for an extended period of time.

In fact, this is one of the big reasons I have always enjoyed having my recreational vehicles over the years.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:03 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Parked in a heated garage here in NW Penna. , not winterized, turn on fridge, load it, roll.........
Same here
Old 12-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #34

There would have to be a real emergency for us to try to beat a couple of hours.
Check motorhome to make sure air, fluids and mechanics are still sound. Turn on the refrigerator. Fuel and LP are full; holding tank for Water gets filled.

Pack tubs with clothes (we don't leave anything with elastic in the MH)

Pack tubs with food (we don't keep anything in the MH that isn't in metal or glass/plastic containers)

Pack personal safety items (we don't keep toiletries that might melt, or meds, or batteries; better to start with fresh ones)

Load cold food into the refer, and pups into their spots. Remember to bring the DW.

Power UP, air on, jacks UP. Slides are already in because it saves their awnings from branches, wind and sun.

Final walk-around the MH, final walk-around the house, hit the road.

I can't imagine being as fast as a lot of you guys. Two hours seems about right. That said, if the Huns were on the hillside, we could go in 5 minutes and buy what we left once we get outta Dodge.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:14 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Haha I'm picturing thousands of 40 foot motor homes driving up I-15 every the ground shakes in San Diego.

We're winterized and in a storage yard. Normally we're buried in the back, but this year I put her away late and she's right up front. I've even gone down to run the genny and taken her for a warm-up ride a couple of times already this winter. That will change once the snow starts.

I keep hoping the DW will come home from work some day and say "I've had enough, let's blow this pop stand". I'd be willing to bet we'd be rolling down I-95 the next day.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:32 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeryan59 View Post
I keep mine full of water and fuel and store in an underground limestone cave, I live in tornado area, but any natural disaster other than maybe earthquake I am loaded and ready to go other than refrigerated products. But I have 2 plastic tubs that I use to take items from S&B house to the coach so I would be able to sustain ourselves for an extended period of time.

In fact, this is one of the big reasons I have always enjoyed having my recreational vehicles over the years.
During the summer, 1 hour tops. In the winter it's in storage, so the batteries would need to be put back. Probably 2 hrs. in a pinch.
Jeryan are those the caves on the Kansan/Missouri border? If so they are something.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:53 PM   #37

Living here in New Hampshire we keep the rig winterized but that will NOT keep us from hitting the road!

Like others we have the perishables in a tub. Only hold up would be connecting a hose to city water connection, Blow out the pink stuff & then fill up the water tank.

Both our motorhomes have "saved our bacon" a couple times.

Back from a trip to CA we find the house infested with fleas! Moved into the 94 Pace for a couple days.

Purchase a home & we lived in the 93 Pace while remodeling the interior.

At one time we had the generator in the Pace connected to the house because we lost power due to a storm.

Last months ice storm, Power was out for 2 days BUT we stayed in the 07 Discovery for 4 days because we where so comfortable!

For those of you in Southern California who have their rig ready to go in case of an earthquake.....

I would think you all would have to map an escape route that would somehow by-pass any bridges or overpasses that might have collapsed!!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:11 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
About bride collapses and open roadways after an earthquake...

In the case of an earthquake, like many natural disasters the RV becomes a lifeboat - not a bug-out vehicle.

We were living near San Francisco when the 1989 Loma Prieta quake hit (day of the World Series). The Nimitz double-decker Freeway in Oakland collaped, the Oakland/SF Bay Bridge lost a segment of the upper deck, and the double-decker road along the waterfront in San Francisco took some damage, but most other roads and bridges were fine thanks to earthquake construction standards since the 70's.

So, it was still very possible to get around, but those with RV's were able to get through the first few days when many were doing without power and water...there is really no reason to leave the area, just working through it.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:21 PM   #39

I also live in Evergreen and brought home a new RV from Indiana dealer. Would you recommend an RV cover line yours in our climate of snow, rain, and bright sun?
evergreen49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:24 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We're full timers, so in theory the coach is always ready- but we know that's not always the reality. Depending on the severity of the need to move, I'd say anywhere from 10 minutes to get the slides in, jacks up, utils disconnected and just leave everything outside behind, up to an hour or two to pack up and leave well loaded.

Of course, again depending on the nature of the emergency, the whole notion of getting on the road quickly may well be a fool's errand if there are 200K other folks simultaneously trying the same thing.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #41

We're pretty much ready to go within 30 mins. or so. but living in the country I'm not planning to go anywhere, unless a Katrina is coming straight at me. She was 45 miles west and we stayed put. What we have added is "get back home bags" for the toad. Just in case we're caught away from home in an emergency and have to leave the coach. I won't go into details but you can get plenty of info on prepper websites.
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:32 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
During the summer, 1 hour tops. In the winter it's in storage, so the batteries would need to be put back. Probably 2 hrs. in a pinch.
Jeryan are those the caves on the Kansan/Missouri border? If so they are something.
Yes, the one mine is in is MO, about 65 degrees year round so no need to winterize and humidity controlled. If I get bored in the winter, have them pull it out from the secure area and I can always wax it.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote