Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2017, 07:40 AM   #1

How to Break In (Jammed/Broken Door Latch)

Our coach is a typical small Class A, having a single door. I had masked the inside of the door for painting. Removing the masking tape, I elected to slightly back out the inside latch plate screws to make that easier. I ran the screws back in and shut the door without testing it beforehand. I found myself outside the coach, staring at the door latch, the paddle of which was binding, and not opening the latch. Both locks worked fine.

Code:
Lesson #1: When working on the door, unlock and open a window through
which you can climb into the coach.
It would have helped had I learned Lesson #1 before I shut the door.

Code:
Lesson #2: It pays to have an unexcitable best buddy who knows about RVs
within reach during an emergency.
Two cool heads are better than none!

Code:
Lesson #3: (This is highly specific to the coach) Break in through the
forward fan.
Pry up the fan cover on the side opposite the cover arm. Remove the two screws on the cover arm that hold it to the cover, aft screw first. Remove the fan (four screws). Cut out the screen with a utility knife. Using a pole (10 feet was enough) with a loop of line attached to it, hook the interior door latch handle and pull upward. It may help to have someone pulling on the outside latch paddle at the same time.

Code:
Lesson #4: If the door opens, immediately unlock and open a window through
which you can climb into the coach.
Even at my age, where "senior moments" occur more frequently, I doubt I will forget these lessons before I die.

At one point I had a hammer in my hand and a window within reach, but thought better of it.

An alternative would have been to cut the latch apart with a multisaw. I thought better of that, too.

Our coach's windshield needs to be removed and reseated, but I didn't want to even start down that road (New England Fall weather and all that means).

If this little vignette helps someone avoid the problem, or recover from it, I'll be happy- but not near as happy as I was when daylight came through that door!
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2017, 10:08 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Sent you a private message.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:26 AM   #3

This happen to a neighbor and he ask me to help.
I drill about a 1/4" hole 1/2" deep centered on key hole, tumbler fell out and we could slide latch open. Easy to replace barrel and keys.

Not sure if this would have worked for you.

TJ
thunderjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:26 AM   #4

If bdpreece advise doesn't work I can tell you how to get in with NO damage in 5 minutes or less.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:35 AM   #5

Got a laundry shute to basement?
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:06 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
I am curious about Tha_Rooster's solution.

We were in Whitehouse BC on our Alaska trip about six weeks ago and the door would not open.
Wife was on inside with me outside.
I eventually removed inner door plastic plate (after climbing through a side window) and jiggled enough things to get it to open.

I later permanently solved the issue with a hole I drilled, and screw securing some parts of door together inside.

The issue was not the latch or deadbolt -- it was inner door mechanism that ties things together.

------------
Incidentally, when I was working on the door later in a Hershey PA RV Park,, the factory people from Tififn were setting up a motorhome for Bob Tiffin to use while he was at the Hershey RV show. When asked how they get into a modern Class A RV from the outside with a door issue, their answer was to TORCH the door and replace the whole thing later. ----
-------------

thanks -- Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale70 View Post
I am curious about Tha_Rooster's solution.

We were in Whitehouse BC on our Alaska trip about six weeks ago and the door would not open.

Wife was on inside with me outside.

I eventually removed inner door plastic plate (after climbing through a side window) and jiggled enough things to get it to open.

I later permanently solved the issue with a hole I drilled, and screw securing some parts of door together inside.

The issue was not the latch or deadbolt -- it was inner door mechanism that ties things together.

------------

Incidentally, when I was working on the door later in a Hershey PA RV Park,, the factory people from Tififn were setting up a motorhome for Bob Tiffin to use while he was at the Hershey RV show. When asked how they get into a modern Class A RV from the outside with a door issue, their answer was to TORCH the door and replace the whole thing later. ----

-------------

thanks --

Drill a small hole through the window frame carefully not to hit glass, push a large paper clip or something like it to push window lock up and you are in to unlock door. Take a small dot of black silicone to cover hole which you couldn't see anyway since it the size of a paper clip.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:19 PM   #8

I always keep at least one window unlocked.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:52 PM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
Rooster that sounds interesting. However -- the window on our enrty door is fixed and there are no door locks like you describe. The entry doors on Eagles (and I assume ofher high end Fleetwoods of the era) are aircraft quality aluminum doors with very large aluminum hinges and special inner mechanisms.

thx Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:05 AM   #10

How to Break In (Jammed/Broken Door Latch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale70 View Post
Rooster that sounds interesting. However -- the window on our enrty door is fixed and there are no door locks like you describe. The entry doors on Eagles (and I assume ofher high end Fleetwoods of the era) are aircraft quality aluminum doors with very large aluminum hinges and special inner mechanisms.

thx Dale

Sorry for the misunderstanding I was talking about how to get in when the door is locked, getting in thru a side window.

Tags
door