Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2022, 05:46 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
How to calculate battery capacity

Hello all
I have 4 six volt 110 amp hr lead acid house batteries 3 yrs old in the coach. Will be leaving the coach for three days with the Norcod El/propane refer running
Do I calculate battery capacity saying 440amps X (6 or 12 volts) = kWh’s
Using 12 volts I get 5280 kWh. With the fridge using say 3 amps/hr at 12 volts = 36 kWh’s X 24 hrs = 864 kw per day X 3 days = 2592 kw which says my battery capacity is sufficient but if I use 6 volts in my calculations my refer will be hot and batteries will be dead after 3 days.
I’d appreciate any help checking my calculations. I’m in Alaska with day time temps running 50F to 72 F..

42’ Monaco Camelot 2009
425 hp Cummins ISL
F-150 towd
Thanks again
kovalsmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2022, 06:04 PM   #2

You don't have 110 AH 6 volt batteries.

They are 190 or more AH.

2 6 volt batteries in series doubles the volts but not the AH capacity.

You probably still have about 400 AH but that's at the 20 hour rate, meaning drawing 5 amps per 100AH for 20 hours.
To stay in that rating, you will need to draw 20 amps total. If you draw more amps, you have less capacity.

If your fridge draws 3 amps at 120 volts, it's going to draw 30 amps at 12 volts.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 06:58 PM   #3

Two batteries in series will be 12V with 110Ah, parallel that string with the other two and you have 12V with 220Ah. Now the kicker, you don't want to drain them to zero but want to keep above 50% depth of discharge so we're back to 110Ah useable. At 3A draw, it looks like 36 hours.

If it's a propane refrigerator, I wouldn't think the draw would be 3A DC. That may be the 120VAC current.
Old 06-17-2022, 07:39 PM   #4

Trying calculate out what it should be in my opinion is pointless. Battery age, fridge efficiency, etc all will have dramatic impact.

If me I would do a couple test runs then average results and hope for best.
KenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 07:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalsmt View Post
Hello all
I have 4 six volt 110 amp hr lead acid house batteries 3 yrs old in the coach. Will be leaving the coach for three days with the Norcod El/propane refer running
Do I calculate battery capacity saying 440amps X (6 or 12 volts) = kWhs
Using 12 volts I get 5280 kWh. With the fridge using say 3 amps/hr at 12 volts = 36 kWhs X 24 hrs = 864 kw per day X 3 days = 2592 kw which says my battery capacity is sufficient but if I use 6 volts in my calculations my refer will be hot and batteries will be dead after 3 days.
Id appreciate any help checking my calculations. Im in Alaska with day time temps running 50F to 72 F..

42 Monaco Camelot 2009
425 hp Cummins ISL
F-150 towd
Thanks again
Its not that simple. Here is an article that provides info and includes a calculator..

https://changingears.com/weight-calculators/ez-battery-life-calculator/

RVs almost exclusively use 12v for dc power. When you have an RV with 6 volt batteries, the batteries will be paired and the pairs will be wired in series to make 12v. Multiple pairs of 6 volt batteries will be wired together in parallel to increase capacity.
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 07:55 PM   #6

You might find this website informative: https://marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:40 PM   #7

Just a practical reference point here for you, when my coach had a pair of 6V golf cart batteries, I once left it in a shop getting the brakes fixed for 5 days, and the Dometic absorption refrigerator was still running on propane when I picked it up, though they were getting low.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJoe View Post
Two batteries in series will be 12V with 110Ah, parallel that string with the other two and you have 12V with 220Ah. Now the kicker, you don't want to drain them to zero but want to keep above 50% depth of discharge so we're back to 110Ah useable. At 3A draw, it looks like 36 hours.

If it's a propane refrigerator, I wouldn't think the draw would be 3A DC. That may be the 120VAC current.

You can safely discharge your 6v GC batteries down to 80% discharge. 50% is a myth that certainly doesn't apply to GC batteries (they can handle deeper discharge).
SJ-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalsmt View Post
Hello all
Do I calculate battery capacity saying 440amps X (6 or 12 volts) = kWhs
Using 12 volts I get 5280 kWh. With the fridge using say 3 amps/hr at 12 volts = 36 kWhs X 24 hrs = 864 kw per day X 3 days = 2592 kw which says my battery capacity is sufficient but if I use 6 volts in my calculations my refer will be hot and batteries will be dead after 3 days.
Id appreciate any help checking my calculations. Im in Alaska with day time temps running 50F to 72 F..

42 Monaco Camelot 2009
425 hp Cummins ISL
F-150 towd
Thanks again

"El/propane" I assume this means "electric/propane"?

Will the fridge be running on propane?? If so, you have nothing to worry about as it won't use much from your batteries. Just a bit to the fridge controls/motherboard.

-Chris
Old 06-17-2022, 09:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ-Chris View Post
You can safely discharge your 6v GC batteries down to 80% discharge. 50% is a myth that certainly doesn't apply to GC batteries (they can handle deeper discharge).
I'd like to know more about this. From my research I recall 50% max and if kept to a smaller discharge like say 30% there will be more cycles over the life of the battery than there will be at 50%, just like going over 50% like to 80% as you state there will be even less cycles over the life of the battery. If I recall I saw charts on various batteries showing this. Will have to look that up again.
Old 06-17-2022, 09:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
I'd like to know more about this. From my research I recall 50% max and if kept to a smaller discharge like say 30% there will be more cycles over the life of the battery than there will be at 50%, just like going over 50% like to 80% as you state there will be even less cycles over the life of the battery. If I recall I saw charts on various batteries showing this. Will have to look that up again.
Looked it up, it appears that your statement is true, this is a chart for East Penn 6 volt Golf Car batteries, you can see that the number of life cycles drops sharply between 0 and 30% but then sort of levels off with the difference between 50% and 80% being much smaller, around 250 life cycles less at a consistent 80% discharge cycle. Looks like a good practice would be to try and stay above 50% with occasional dips to 80% nothing to be concerned about. Note that staying above 25% doubles the number of life cycles as compared to 50%.
Regardless while it is true these batteries can handle the deeper discharge it is also true that they will last longer with shallower discharges, so to some degree the deeper discharges do cause more deterioration on a sliding scale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	East Penn.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	368586  
Old 06-17-2022, 09:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ-Chris View Post
The 50% DOD is a recommendation provided by virtually every battery manufacturer, whos spec sheet I have taken the time to read. If thats a myth, then we have a very different understanding of the word.

Since switching to Lithium, such matters, including the recommendation to fully charge after each discharge cycle, are no longer a concern.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 10:07 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would check your batteries for the specification plate. Most likely the amp hour ratting is greater than 200 AH each. Most 6v GC batteries start at about 200 AH.

Also, a propane fridge running on propane should only draw about 1/2 amp at 12v. If there are fans and when you open the door and the lights come on you will draw more.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 01:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
The 50% DOD is a recommendation provided by virtually every battery manufacturer, whos spec sheet I have taken the time to read. If thats a myth, then we have a very different understanding of the word.

Since switching to Lithium, such matters, including the recommendation to fully charge after each discharge cycle, are no longer a concern.

Look at the charts of cycles vs discharge. THEN, calculate the LIFETIME AH expected for the battery. Yes, you will get less CYCLES if you discharge to 80%, but with each discharge cycle you will get less AHs if you to go 50% instead of 80%. The overall lifetime AHs is within ~10% whether you discharge to 40%, 50%, or 80%.

Also, from a practical sense, let's assume that at 50% discharge you get 1000 cycles from your 6v batteries (as an example). Do you think many people will boondock and discharge their batteries to 50% ONE THOUSAND times? At 30 days boondocking per year it would take someone 33 years before they "used up" all their 50% cycles. Think about it.... Is that actually going to happen? Nope. They are going to go bad after 5-10 years regardless for 99% of users. Thus it really doesn't matter if you discharge your batteries 80% from time to time. That's all I'm saying.

Yes, if you boondock and live in your RV all year, year after year, then you are in a different category (...probably less than 1% of people here on the forums).

Hence, it's no problem discharging your batteries 80%. Would I design a system around that idea? No, because I like to have lots of buffer. But people need to stop worrying about discharging below 50%. Or not...makes no difference to me.

-Chris

Tags
battery