Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2021, 11:55 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I called Cummins after a no start ISL. They said you must fill the filter. 2nd filter change, it started right up. Book say no fill, don't believe it.
Book time (not miles) intervals for servicing are a actually 2-3 times too short.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2021, 11:55 AM   #16

how-carry-diesel-for-filter-changes

When my single filter Cat starts to lose power I head for the nearest safe parking area. I carry extra filters and fresh fuel (in a plastic gallon oil jug). I have a plastic plug to block the center outlet and pour the fuel in around the edges, screw the new filter back on and away we go. Only happened twice in five years, and I have stopped buying fuel at low-volume sites. Annual changes are good policy, but it only takes one tank of bad fuel to clog a filter.
blevtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddoster View Post
I carry a gallon of ATF fluid, i have a 8V92 with Racor 1000
That is what us old timmers use----ATF
Old 03-30-2021, 12:19 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
I have plugged the center hole of the new filter and poured the contents of the old filter into the new filter.

Crude, but it has worked with no storage or disposal issues.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:20 PM   #19

If you choose to go the fuel can route I would use one of these, https://wavianusa.com

I have a few and they have been thoroughly abused and used on the farm. I have not had one leak yet. I have changed a seal or two that was cracking, but not leaking.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:21 PM   #20

About any "normal" automatic transmission fluid. Diesels love transmission fluid. Dexron III/mercon being my favorite. And the most common and cheapest. Such ATF is chock full of "detergents" that actually work like a fuel additive to help keep the fuel system internals clean.
The one drawback is that "off road" diesel is colored to be red. In certain situations folks are loathe to use ATF because some can circulate back through the fuel return and maybe color the fuel in the tank a bit red. On the wrong day a DOT man could potentially check your fuel and if he sees what he thinks is untaxed red fuel in your tank you are going to have a really bad day. Actually as far as I know this is only really an issue with over the road trucks whose fuel tank contents are readily inspectable. I don't ever see it being an issue for any RV driver but it's good to know why people are careful about introducing anything red into their diesel fuel systems.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:37 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bduemig View Post
When I changed my filter, I did what I had to do with my old 94 7.3 ford. I filled the new filter with diesel clean. It started right up a without any problems.
I used a mobile service years ago to do a PM while we were traveling. They are a large company that services big truck fleets. They also used Cummins Diesel Kleen to prime the fuel filter. I use diesel as I have it on site at home but I carry a couple quarts of Diesel Kleen & a spare filter in case I need to change it on the road.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:47 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I called Cummins after a no start ISL. They said you must fill the filter. 2nd filter change, it started right up. Book say no fill, don't believe it.
Book time (not miles) intervals for servicing are a actually 2-3 times too short.
I just doubled checked with my mechanic, my nephew��, we changed the filter on my ISL Cummins at a campground. Cycled the fuel pump a few times by turning the key on and off a few times which in turn filled the filter. Popped right off. So yes, I filled the filter 1st, but thru the fuel pump.

Cummins has certain procedures in their manuals and won't tell people work arounds.
LifeSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 02:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndrorder View Post
I use one of these to carry reserve premix (gas and oil) on long dirt bike rides over mountains, through valleys, and jostling the whole time in a pouch on my back in my riding vest. It has never leaked, but it does have to be opened slowly to release pent up pressure. I fill it as full as possible, btw.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...minum-bottle-p
Actually, those camp stove fuel bottles is a really good idea for this purpose .... just about the right size, and I just happen to have several of them left over from backpacking needs (which I may just get around to doing again sometime :-) ). Thanks for suggesting that!
Old 03-30-2021, 02:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
I used a mobile service years ago to do a PM while we were traveling. They are a large company that services big truck fleets. They also used Cummins Diesel Kleen to prime the fuel filter. I use diesel as I have it on site at home but I carry a couple quarts of Diesel Kleen & a spare filter in case I need to change it on the road.
diesel kleen is another good idea. thanks.
Old 03-30-2021, 02:10 PM   #25

ATF, I add a quart to my fuel every fill. Also fill my fuel filter with it every filter change.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 02:11 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSalt View Post
I just doubled checked with my mechanic, my nephew��, we changed the filter on my ISL Cummins at a campground. Cycled the fuel pump a few times by turning the key on and off a few times which in turn filled the filter. Popped right off. So yes, I filled the filter 1st, but thru the fuel pump.

Cummins has certain procedures in their manuals and won't tell people work arounds.
That is also what cummins told be about my ISB .... but so many people swear the other way. I guess the only real way to find out is to try it...... :-(
Old 03-30-2021, 02:17 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

You don't say what your new coach is, but many come with a hand pump built into the main filter, it takes a lot of pumps, but you can fill it that way. Again, just do one filter at a time.

Lastly, the Oasis doesn't need changing yearly. You can easily go 2-3 years. It's a big filter and just doesn't get that much fuel passed through it.
Sorry Don .... this is a 2017 Mountain Aire, ISX engine. the primary fuel filter is extremely available, and I did not see a pump on it (though I was not really looking...). at this point, since it is so available .... I want to be prepared for a change "just in case....".

Thanks also for the thoughts on the Oasis. This will be a new system for me to learn, and I have heard that without maintenance they can be touchy - so I want to learn how to take care of that. besides - my guess is that it (the oasis) has never been serviced since new .... so I will definitely be taking care of that shortly after getting the rig.
Old 03-30-2021, 05:04 PM   #28
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just a note.....those saying to add ATF or other things, may not be a good idea with a DEF motor. A good way to cause issues.

MN Traveler.......take a look at this post for Oasis use.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/oas...es-229100.html
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel