Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2021, 07:57 AM   #1

How to carry diesel for filter changes?

Strange question: what is a reasonable way to carry a relatively small amount of diesel fuel to use for filter changes that will not spill or smell (thus contaminating the storage bin, but yet is still safe and accessible?).

Glass is, of course, out of the question. I have heard/read that the approved plastic containers can let fumes out and maybe seep or drip a little? For those of you who are prepared for an on-the-road filter swap ... what do you do?

(Yes, after 8 years or so of driving a DP around the country, I have never carried extra fuel ... but then again my filters are really not accessible ... but on my soon to be new to me rig, the primary fuel filter is sitting right out there in the open on the back grill ... and the Oasis unit has a fuel filter that needs annual changing....)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2021, 08:16 AM   #2

Cummins engines usually do not require pre-filling the fuel filters. My Cummins ISC engine only requires a few cycles of the ignition key to activate the electric fuel lift pump for 30 seconds each time to fill the filters before starting.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:19 AM   #3

When I changed my filter, I did what I had to do with my old 94 7.3 ford. I filled the new filter with diesel clean. It started right up a without any problems.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:08 AM   #4

I don't have this issue, but if I did, I would probably repurpose a metal can with a screw top lid (clearly labeled with "DIESEL FUEL") like those you buy with chainsaw gas or mineral spirits.
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
Strange question: what is a reasonable way to carry a relatively small amount of diesel fuel to use for filter changes that will not spill or smell (thus contaminating the storage bin, but yet is still safe and accessible?).

Glass is, of course, out of the question. I have heard/read that the approved plastic containers can let fumes out and maybe seep or drip a little? For those of you who are prepared for an on-the-road filter swap ... what do you do?

(Yes, after 8 years or so of driving a DP around the country, I have never carried extra fuel ... but then again my filters are really not accessible ... but on my soon to be new to me rig, the primary fuel filter is sitting right out there in the open on the back grill ... and the Oasis unit has a fuel filter that needs annual changing....)
I carry a gallon of ATF fluid, i have a 8V92 with Racor 1000
ddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:25 AM   #6

I keep a one gallon plastic gas can in a ziplock bag (empty). I will just get a gallon of diesel with the toad when needed. I carry spare filters, filter wrenches and even a spare bowl for the bottom of the water separator. I don't like the idea of carrying fuel in the basement.

Jay
Old 03-30-2021, 09:25 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Don't make it difficult

If you insist to do it on the road, stop at a fuel stop where there is a garage associated with it. Use the diesel fuel pump to fill the filter (or fill a small container to use) and if you have any problems, there should be help nearby.
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 10:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Cummins engines usually do not require pre-filling the fuel filters. My Cummins ISC engine only requires a few cycles of the ignition key to activate the electric fuel lift pump for 30 seconds each time to fill the filters before starting.
this is what I read re. cummins engines - though many here on the forum have said they have had problems if they do not fill the filter, and the local truck place I have my maintenance done says they always pre fill the filters otherwise "they will never get the engines started". go figure.

****you also need to lubricate the o-ring. though **** postings say to use a little bit of diesel fuel. Can you get by with just light oil maybe and avoid the fuel???

I will need to do this for servicing the fuel filter for the Oasis unit .... but I can do that under much more controlled conditions at home.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
If you insist to do it on the road, stop at a fuel stop where there is a garage associated with it. Use the diesel fuel pump to fill the filter (or fill a small container to use) and if you have any problems, there should be help nearby.
My question is really around the bad-fuel-stuck-on-side-of-road type of situation. for general maintenance, I have little intention of doing my own service...... (getting underneath that thing is not a good ideal)
Old 03-30-2021, 10:51 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't think that I would lose sleep over this. Carry an empty one gallon plastic fuel container with you. As stated, use your toad to get fuel. If it's a life or death situation in the middle of nowhere, disconnect the fuel line on your generator fuel filter and fill the engine filter.

Here are some other tips, if you're really stuck, you can try the key thing (I've never been successful with doing this). Replace only one filter at a time, start the coach, get it running smoothly and then stop and replace the other filter.

You don't say what your new coach is, but many come with a hand pump built into the main filter, it takes a lot of pumps, but you can fill it that way. Again, just do one filter at a time.

Lastly, the Oasis doesn't need changing yearly. You can easily go 2-3 years. It's a big filter and just doesn't get that much fuel passed through it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 10:54 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
My question is really around the bad-fuel-stuck-on-side-of-road type of situation. for general maintenance, I have little intention of doing my own service...... (getting underneath that thing is not a good ideal)
Well then, I like the idea in post #2 where you utilize the 'lectric fuel pump (if you have one). First determine if you have a bleed screw on the fuel filter housing or if you can just leave the filter loose to let the air escape. Talk to a diesel mechanic for your engine make, they will always give 'free' advice and I do like your preemptive attack on a future situation though! Nothing like being prepared.
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:00 AM   #12

I just carry a $15 hand siphon pump. When I need clean diesel when changing filters I just put one end in that diesel tank and pump out what I need.

Works well for me and takes up very little room.
MemByTheMile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:10 AM   #13

I changed my filter w/o any fuel, started right up. Cycle the fuel pump by turning the key on and off a couple times... You can use any oil to lube the o-ring. Heck, even cooking oil..... Or just fuel from the old filter... Cummins......
LifeSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:22 AM   #14

I use one of these to carry reserve premix (gas and oil) on long dirt bike rides over mountains, through valleys, and jostling the whole time in a pouch on my back in my riding vest. It has never leaked, but it does have to be opened slowly to release pent up pressure. I fill it as full as possible, btw.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...minum-bottle-p
Ndrorder is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel