Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2022, 09:24 PM   #1

How to fix and maintain outer finish?

Last year we purchased our '03 Class A. Spent early months renovating the interior. For as old as it is, I don't think the outside looks too bad... from a distance. Pics attached.

However, with one year sitting in the AZ (Phoenix area) sun, it has taken a beating. We haven't done anything to the exterior. The full driver side faces south. There is a photo that shows that the the white-ish side is now chalky. Touch it and the white comes off on my hand.

Other photos show other issues.

Where do we begin?? What do we use on it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220615_RV full view lo res.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	368413   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220615_RV chalky lo res.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	368414  

Name:	20220615_Rv side lo res.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	368415   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220615 curb side RV lo res.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	368416  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2022, 09:49 PM   #2

Here are two products I've looked at but would prefer recommendations from those who have tackled this kind of issue.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00409S8AG...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AY50X...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I'm thinking that we need to do some measure of prep work first before slapping a polish on. I just don't know what to do or how to address the issues.
Old 06-16-2022, 07:18 AM   #3

"the white-ish side is now chalky. Touch it and the white comes off on my hand."

The two products you provided with links.....forget it.
There are no easy products or steps you can do to fix your situation, just like there's no free lunch.

Just by your description above, that condition on your coach is called "Oxidation" and IT HAS TO BE compounded and then polished first to restore the shine and then protect it with a final coat. I personally don't use wax anymore for protection. UV rays are brutal to RV's—especially AZ sun...are you kidding me—so you have to use a product for your final coat to protect it from those damaging UV rays. I use RejeX.

Compounding, polishing and protecting is a DYI job but takes time, patience and the right products with a Dual Action Variable Speed Polisher. It took me 3wks. to do my coach when we first bought ours.

If you want more info on this PM me.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:04 AM   #4

We have used Poli-glow on our 1998 Born Free, where there was a major oxidation issue, and our current 2007 Bay Star and have been very impressed with the results. If you decide to use Poli-glow, there are multiple videos available that show the entire process you need to follow. The final product results in a very hard shell that has a fantastic shine that holds up well to UV and other environmental factors. Poli-glow is only one of many great products that will work to address your issues and I am sure other recommendations will be forth coming.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:07 AM   #5

No easy way

No easy way to restore that other than elbow grease.
Have done 2 RVS in your shape and come out like new.
Below is what I use and worked great but takes time. Just coat it with a quality wax when you are done restoring.

https://www.dewalt.com/product/dwp84...her-soft-start

https://www.amazon.com/3M-05719-Perf...20094706&psc=1
CADILLACXTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:08 AM   #6

and this

And This:

https://csishine.com/products/csi-62...rip-cut-gallon
Old 06-16-2022, 08:23 AM   #7

Whatever you decide to use, pressure wash it first. That will get rid of a lot of the oxidation.
bentjm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2roll View Post
Here are two products I've looked at but would prefer recommendations from those who have tackled this kind of issue.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00409S8AG...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AY50X...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I'm thinking that we need to do some measure of prep work first before slapping a polish on. I just don't know what to do or how to address the issues.
Tried the Poliglow and looks great for couple years then turns yellow. Had to sand rv down and restore it properly.
Old 06-16-2022, 09:43 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjm View Post
Whatever you decide to use, pressure wash it first. That will get rid of a lot of the oxidation.
Do you worry about water intrusion when using a pressure washer?
Old 06-16-2022, 09:55 AM   #10

I found that Zep All-in 1 Pressure Wash does a great job in removing the chalky residue when used with a brush. I first tried it with my pressure washer but noticed that the areas where I used a brush were shiny. It's not a wax, just a cleaner.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-172-...C160/202056508
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 10:00 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
There's no free lunch when it comes to Fiberglas oxidation.
Purchase a good buffer, plenty of refreshments some good marine polish such as StarBrite or Meguires. I use StarBrite only because I have a bunch from my Fiberglas boating days. Once you cut thru the oxidation and achieve the level of polishing that makes you happy then you can enjoy the fruits of your labor and follow up with maintenance treatments of Wash N Wax All, NuFinish, spray wax or whatever floats your boat.
A big no to any high powered pressure washer.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 10:15 AM   #12

OK here goes, the sides of my RV had been gone over by "professionals" before I bought it but they did a lousy job and there was still swirls and oxidation beneath the wax they applied. First I bought a random orbit polisher and used Mequiar's Ultimate Compound, two passes, then Meguiar's Ultimate Polish, one pass then Meguiar's Flagship RV and Marine Wax. For the fiberglass roof, which was badly oxidized and chalky, I did two passes with the Meguiar's #50 followed by the Flagship Wax. I did everything in small sections and taped off the decals. My rig now looks like new. (Note that the roof radius edges I re-painted, but everything else is original)

I pondered a long time over the "miracle" products and just decided to try the old fashioned proven way first, and it worked for me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rig.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	333.8 KB
ID:	368457   Click image for larger version

Name:	roof2.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	368458  

Name:	shiny.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	368459   Click image for larger version

Name:	meguires50.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	368460  

bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 11:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADILLACXTS View Post
Tried the Poliglow and looks great for couple years then turns yellow. Had to sand rv down and restore it properly.
Not doubting your experience but, we have had Poli-glow on our coaches for years with absolutely no yellowing. Even with Poli-glow, getting the coach ready to apply the final application is a labor intensive process but, well worth the effort.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 01:08 PM   #14

Looks like I'll have my work cut out! Unfortunately, to use any of those products, I'll have to wait until late Sept. when the temps finally drop to the low 90's. --just more time for the sun to do its damage.

How do I handle the decals? The 3rd photo shows the condition they are in. I fear that if I tape them off (as one suggested) that they'll come right off with the tape. Is there anything that can be done? Some seem ok.

Thanks to all replies thus far! Looks like I've got a few options for products, and the ones I had found have been used with success by some of you.
The polisher and pad recommendation is appreciated as well.