Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2019, 01:46 PM   #1

How to fuel with diesel and keep the smell outside?

Ok just about to pickup a coach and looking for help to keep the diesel outsid.

I have seen lots of tips and tricks to keep the fuel in the tank. Slow down when close, know how much it will take to fill etc.

I’m looking for tips and tricks to keep any fuel off my hands, shoes and out of the coach.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2019, 01:52 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Disposable booties for the inevitable puddle on the ground. And plastic gloves or anything that won't soak up liquid between your hand and the nozzle.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:11 PM   #3

Those diesel nozzles are nasty, wear disposable gloves.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:12 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Canuck53".....Your new coach will have the two entry steps that will open for storage. I keep a tub of the wet wipe cleaning towels for wiping my hands and occasionally wiping up the paint. I also keep a roll of the blue mechanics towels, like paper towels, in there too. On my first DP, I had an unlimited supply of those booties, but they were a pain and they never got used.

Your dash display will be surprisingly accurate on how much fuel you burn. You alluded to knowing about slowing down when the tank is almost full, since you know about how much you're going to take. I can hear the sound change in the tank, starts to gurgle, in the last gallon or so. I don't top it off anymore.

I rarely fill at truck stops so most stations I stop at rarely have fuel on the ground. If they do, you'll see an old man tip toe around, not a pretty sight.

On the Freightliner chassis, the fuel fills are almost horizontal and fuel builds up in the fuel caps. I find when I unscrew mine, fuel flows out of the cap onto the coach. I now grab several towels at the pump and if not available, my own. I make sure I catch that fuel in the cap, before it runs down the side of the coach. I the place a towel under the nozzle when fueling.

I've never really had an issue with tracking fuel into the coach in 15 years of DP fueling. Just watch your step.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
When I pull in to fuel I always try to park close to the island. This allows me to fuel without standing on the parking lot where diesel fuel may have spilled. I also wear disposable nitrile gloves, available from Harbor Freight 100 for $7.99.
I also keep hand wipes by the entry door in case of accidents. Never had to use them yet.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Ditto on the disposable booties. You can get them at any hardware store that sells paint supplies.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:27 PM   #7

I buy those disposable shoe covers by the bulk when I can. The last time I purchased, I got them through Amazon, $14.99 for 120 or 60 pairs.

Disposable Shoe Covers - 120 Pack Disposable Extra Thick Boot and Shoe Covers with Anti Slip Treads
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:21 PM   #8

Ok I’m now wiser than before this started.

Nitrile gloves and paper towels check
Wipes by the door check
Do not top up....risky
Know how much you need.

Watch when opening the cap and use the station towels.

Park close, keep an eye out for puddles and stains.

Booties maybe but do they soak the diesel through?
Old 05-12-2019, 03:45 PM   #9

I don't think I've ever had diesel come through the booties so it was on the soles of my shoes. Yes, if you stepped in a puddle of diesel, your soles might have some diesel on them but if that happens, take off the soiled booties and put on some fresh ones before you enter the living area of your coach until you can clean the soles off further but, obviously --JUST DON'T STEP IN A PUDDLE OF DIESEL
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:49 PM   #10

Best way to avoid the diesel smell is buy a gasser.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massparanoia View Post
Best way to avoid the diesel smell is buy a gasser.
To late...
Old 05-12-2019, 04:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
I don't think I've ever had diesel come through the booties so it was on the soles of my shoes. Yes, if you stepped in a puddle of diesel, your soles might have some diesel on them but if that happens, take off the soiled booties and put on some fresh ones before you enter the living area of your coach until you can clean the soles off further but, obviously --JUST DON'T STEP IN A PUDDLE OF DIESEL
Ok will keep a supply.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:11 PM   #13

I'm not sure how people are getting fuel on themselves and into the coach. I have a pair of leather gloves in one of the entry steps. I put them on after I have run the card in the pump and gotten authorization to pump. Put the nozzle in and set on medium or high. I wash the windshield (That's where my hands get wet from the water running back down the washing wand). Go back to the nozzle and listen for the gurgle and shut it off. Hang up the hose and get back in the coach. I know enough to stay out of the puddles, water or fuel. No fuel on my hands, clothes or feet and no fuel smell inside or out. We always stop at Flying J's or Pilot if available. What am I doing wrong??
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I know enough to stay out of the puddles, water or fuel. No fuel on my hands, clothes or feet and no fuel smell inside or out. We always stop at Flying J's or Pilot if available. What am I doing wrong??
some people over think everything.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel, smell