Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2015, 05:38 PM   #1

How to get a termporary licence in Florida

I am buying a MH from Florida from a private party and live in Maine. I want to get a FL temporary registration so I can drive the MH home.

Does anybody know if it is possible and what I need to do?

Thank you
txshldm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2015, 05:44 PM   #2
Community Administrator

How to get a termporary licence in Florida

Welcome to the forum.

Scroll down to temporary vehicle registration. You'll need to pay Fl. Sales tax.

https://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/car-registration.php

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:09 PM   #3

I live in Washington state and did this in July. You do not need to pay tax in Florida. You do need to get a temporary tag from a county tag office. We had Private seller come with us with Bill of Sale to do the transaction. Ours was less than $10. Bank owned title so we had to have seller fill out a Washington state release of interest affidavit with notarization as well. When I returned to Washington, I paid my local tax. Here's our trip...have fun!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440288394.279671.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	104295
mikemac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:15 PM   #4

You should only have to pay Florida Sales Tax if you will be licensing it in Florida. Just get a temporary tag, usually 3 to 7 days. Here's the rub. If you can't get it home in that time, you may have to get temp tags along the way to continue to be legal.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:28 PM   #5

Ours was a 30 day trip permit. I had to provide proof of insurance with new MH.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:41 PM   #6

Actually, Florida does make you pay the sales tax for your home/destination state (up to 6%) and remits it to them. If your state has a personal property tax vs. "sales tax" then FL won't collect it. They will only collect "sales tax". I think Maine is 5.5% on motorhomes + excise tax?

Suggest reading this good description from Manatee county tax collector's office. http://www.taxcollector.com/docs/cip...oraryplate.pdf

The same rules apply in every county, just not every county has them written up so clearly!

txshldm54 take a look at the top of the Manatee page where if you're not a FL resident they won't accept a check. Not sure if our other counties are like that as well or just Manatee, but you can always call down to the appropriate county's tax collector office and ask.

Anyway, not sure what county you're doing the transaction in but it's all done through the county tax collector... The actual "fee" beyond the sales tax varies by county from $5 to about $10 (local optional 'fees' or whatever we call them)

Some of the larger counties have online reservation systems as they tend to get busy and you can wait a long time, so suggest you google that county and "florida tax collector" and see if you'll be in one of them.
dereed999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemac3 View Post
I live in Washington state and did this in July... When I returned to Washington, I paid my local tax.
Don't know about all states but couldn't one contact their home state DMV and do the registration via phone and FedEx if you're going to be out a long time.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:01 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Our dealer arranged for a temporary permit for us to take our unit home. Cost was minimal. Permit was taped to the window when we got there.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereed999 View Post
Actually, Florida does make you pay the sales tax for your home/destination state (up to 6%) and remits it to them. If your state has a personal property tax vs. "sales tax" then FL won't collect it. They will only collect "sales tax". I think Maine is 5.5% on motorhomes + excise tax?

Suggest reading this good description from Manatee county tax collector's office. http://www.taxcollector.com/docs/cip...oraryplate.pdf

The same rules apply in every county, just not every county has them written up so clearly!

txshldm54 take a look at the top of the Manatee page where if you're not a FL resident they won't accept a check. Not sure if our other counties are like that as well or just Manatee, but you can always call down to the appropriate county's tax collector office and ask.

Anyway, not sure what county you're doing the transaction in but it's all done through the county tax collector... The actual "fee" beyond the sales tax varies by county from $5 to about $10 (local optional 'fees' or whatever we call them)

Some of the larger counties have online reservation systems as they tend to get busy and you can wait a long time, so suggest you google that county and "florida tax collector" and see if you'll be in one of them.

Like I shared, I just bought on July 21, 2015 and was not required to pay Florida Tax. I got a temporary tag/trip permit for less than $10 from the Wewahitchka, Florida Auditors office and just today paid use tax in Pierce County Washington.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Like I shared, I just bought on July 21, 2015 and was not required to pay Florida Tax. I got a temporary tag/trip permit for less than $10 from the Wewahitchka, Florida Auditors office and just today paid use tax in Pierce County Washington.
But OP is in Maine and I think there will be tax due. OP's best bet is to call the FL tax collector office he'll be using and ask!
Old 08-22-2015, 07:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereed999 View Post
But OP is in Maine and I think there will be tax due. OP's best bet is to call the FL tax collector office he'll be using and ask!

True statement. Trust me, there was plenty of tax due in Washington Today.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:23 PM   #12

Assuming you want to license it in Maine I would be asking the local licensing folks. It should be manageable but they will have the paperwork.

As I think about it I wonder why you would want a temporary registration. It would seem to me you could register it in Maine then take the plates with you to pick up the MH. Your only issue would be an inspection sticker if needed. I expect they have a way of handling that.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:24 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
That's true!! tax is close to 10% and we paid the cost of a pretty good new car to register ours when we bought it in OR.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:27 PM   #14

Quote:
I'm not saying it wasn't true! Washington has different tax structures than much of the east coast. Before moving to FL I bought vehicles down here a few times while living in the NE and had to pay sales tax to get them home. While being here I've also sold a vehicle to an out of stater and they had to pay tax.

The answer is: it all depends on the OP's home state and exactly what reciprocity they have with FL and exactly what they call their taxes. You got lucky in WA in being able to postpone paying the taxes, many states that's not true. I'm relatively certain you got lucky because WA calls it "use tax". While it's really the same as a sales tax, FL is matching the "letter" of the tax name, not the "spirit."

I really doubt that Manatee county was lying on their page. I have no doubt that the mix of sales, use, and personal property taxes on vehicles varies around the country so taxes aren't always due down here.

Either way, OP should call ahead and figure out if they need extra funds on hand! Maybe they'll let us know the outcome?

Tags
florida