Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2017, 09:15 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
How to get around the Credit Card limit when paying at the pump

I've run into this often when fueling up and paying at the pumps. The pump only allows either a $100 or in some cases a $75 limit when paying at the pumps. I've tried closing the transaction and running the card a second time, but it gets rejected. We've resorted to running my card and when the pump stops, running DW's card. Sometimes this works, but not when you need 70 gallons!

Thanks,

Jim
Poppy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2017, 09:20 AM   #2

Maybe try going inside and giving them the card and tell them you are going to go past the $100 limit. They can do a pre-approval for any amount.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:30 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
Maybe try going inside and giving them the card and tell them you are going to go past the $100 limit. They can do a pre-approval for any amount.
This is exactly what I do, and have never had a problem (150 gallon tank). My thought was since the OP titled it "paying at the pump", maybe he is trying to get around having to walk inside. To that, I have no answer but would equally be interested.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:36 AM   #4

It appears you have a diesel. Apply for a Flying J charge card via Good Sam. This allows you to use the truck lanes, easy in and out, pump as much fuel as you need, and not have to go inside for anything. It is pump and go. Plus you he'd a 6 cent discount on the cash price.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:39 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It has been my experience that I have been able to swipe a card twice, and if needed, I would then use a second card, but that need has decreased quite a bit now that gasoline is closer to $2.00 per gallon than $4.00 per gallon.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:44 AM   #6

We got the Pilot/Flying J card just for this reason.

https://www.rvpluscard.com/

Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:54 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I usually about how much fuel I will need. I always go inside and tell them what I think I will need and it gets pre-authorized. Then I can pump what I need and get charged only for what I pumped. The pilot/Flying J card is good but often when I'm on the road gas buddy app will show lower prices at a Loves or T/A America and I'll fuel there. I try to keep fuel charging simple and not carry a bevy of cards.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:31 AM   #8

I go in and prepay. If you prepay $200 and use less it automatically updates. I use $200 or $300 so if it doesn't update I know. But the flying J CC does seem to be a good option.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:44 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I just use a second card, but our gasser only has an 80 gallon tank and I'm usually only putting in 40 - 50 gallons, so two transactions has always been enough.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:50 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Our fuel stops exercise a division of duties: I fuel the RV and my DW goes inside and takes care of the payment. We seldom use "pay at the pump" due to the higher pricing on credit card fuel purchases at many gas stations across the US. This same division of duties would also resolve the credit card limit as the cashier can pre-authorize for a larger amount.

Our best friends for this are our walkie talkies that enable the DW to tel me when things are ready to go and for me to advise her when the fueling is complete and the amount of the purchase.

Since we primarily pay by cash we use our coach's TripTek system to estimate the fuel quantity requirements so she knows how much to pre-pay.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:03 PM   #11

Have never had a problem running the Costco Visa card a 2nd time if initial pump limit not enough. Perhaps the card you are using has a daily limit which, if so, can be bumped higher. Hate having to go inside for any reason.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:43 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I have been told by the gas station that the card company is the one that sets the limit and I've been told by the bank that it is the gas station that sets the limit. Does anyone know who is setting these limits? Is there a way to get that limit increased?
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:46 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbonsell View Post
Have never had a problem running the Costco Visa card a 2nd time if initial pump limit not enough. Perhaps the card you are using has a daily limit which, if so, can be bumped higher. Hate having to go inside for any reason.
I hate to go inside as well and avoid it if at all possible, for no other reason than to be courteous to those in line behind me.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
I go in and prepay. If you prepay $200 and use less it automatically updates. I use $200 or $300 so if it doesn't update I know. But the flying J CC does seem to be a good option.
I've read this three times and am still confused. What automatically updates?