Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2021, 06:58 PM   #1

How to get more heat in the front cabin

Dont usually drive my bus in the winter but since the border wont be open to us Canucks til Nov 8 it looks like we will likely have to drive through some frigid temps to get south. We have about 900 miles to cover before it really warms up and the little bit I’ve used it in the cold, I know if it’s not 40 degrees, the factory heater wont keep up. Do people run the genny while driving and use the Oasis? Are there supplemental heaters that would do the job? 2018 Mountain Aire.
X-rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2021, 07:05 PM   #2

run the generator with a couple of 1500 watt ceramic heaters or small oil filled heaters and close off the back bedroom
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:15 PM   #3

Is oasis pure electric or LP or diesel. Does it happen to have an engine loop. My AH will have free hot water ready as well as heat for all the heat exchangers. It would need to be turned on for circulating pumps to work . It may fire up until heat is up to the limit switch until engine is hot.
Many people run whatever house heating they have while driving.
1500 watt heaters only put out 5120 btus. most rv furnaces put out a lot more than two heaters.
Some Owners have used shower curtain and rod behind seats to just run chassis AC going down the road same principle would probably work even better for heating. Any vehicle I have had would normally be able to cook me out before freezing me out.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:29 PM   #4

Oasis is diesel, how would I tell if it has an engine loop?
X-rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:04 PM   #5

Run your Oasis and set climate to furnace. You should have a low/ high blower switch on your dash panel that will control the hot air blowing out below the dash.
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:15 PM   #6

It makes hot water too right?
If so ,if you have hot water right away when you come off the road with burner and AC off you probably have engine loop. Sometimes I'm still surprised when I have hot water and didn't turn on AH yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-rated View Post
Oasis is diesel, how would I tell if it has an engine loop?
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:18 PM   #7

We have an hydrohot and a button to the right on our panel has an engine preheat if you run the HH It will.preheat engine in colder climate and if.turned on with HH off.will heat furnace loop for heat.while.traveling

Greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:28 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
We have a gasser, but the engine coolant runs through a heater core in the floor heat system. Keeps us plenty warm down to -10 or so.

I'm sure you must have a similar system to heat your rig while driving. Worth a look at least.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:12 AM   #9

That raises a question for me: if you have an oasis, but it is winterized (no water in the tank), can you run the oasis burner for heat without damaging the unit?
Old 10-20-2021, 09:17 AM   #10

To get more heat out of the front dash HVAC, IF you have motor-aid water heater is close the valve to it.

If you have the water heater turned off when you drive and have hot water when you arrive, suspect you have this.

By turning off the valve to the water heater, all that heat goes to the dash heater core instead of being shared.
Old 10-20-2021, 03:42 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I agree with Granite17; put the Oasis burner on; the engine will keep it hot going down the road without having to run the burner. The burner may run a while before you get underway.

Then set the thermostat to heat just like you would when parked.

This will work regardless of if your domestic water is winterized (Oasis has a heat exchange fluid in it that is absorbing and releasing the heat).

Using the Oasis is the only way to keep your basement warm. Even when your water lines are winterized you may have other liquids (food, drink) in the passenger areas and bathrooms you want to keep above freezing while driving.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 03:52 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
You should be able to run the Oasis as you drive. Just turn it on and set the thermostat.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
To get more heat out of the front dash HVAC, IF you have motor-aid water heater is close the valve to it.

If you have the water heater turned off when you drive and have hot water when you arrive, suspect you have this.

By turning off the valve to the water heater, all that heat goes to the dash heater core instead of being shared.
This might be true if the dash heat and water heater are in series of the same circuit. Even then, I question what difference turning the water heater off would make. I suspect the dash heater would take priority or be on its own circuit. In either case the water temperature to the dash would be controlled by the engine thermostat and not influenced and by an extended or secondary loop. Regardless, as others have mentioned, your engine will heat the Oasis system and all you need to do is turn the thermostats to your desired temps and enjoy the comfort.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:45 PM   #14

My coach really only produces heat through the dash under load , pulling a hill .
To get more heat to the dash on the level , I manually shift down 6>5 th to keep the RPM up and aide coolant flow to the dash .
I've only had to run the furnace on two trips in 11 years with this coach.

Tags
heat