Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2020, 03:26 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
How to handle OLD GAS?

I winterized our RV (2005 SightSeer 29R with Workhorse engine) in November 2019 (about a year ago). Since then, I've only driven it for 20 miles or so. I now have a very full tank of unleaded gasoline that was treated with Stabil a year ago. It is looking unlikely we will take any long trips in the next few months.

Do I need to do anything special with the year old gas still in the motorhome?

* go for a 500 mile drive and burn it all up?
* add more Stabil?
* have it drained (75 gallons)?
* leave it as is, it will be OK with the original Stabil treatment (2 yrs)?

I'd appreciate any advice from people that are more familiar with this situation than I am.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2020, 03:45 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
I don't think it will last that long. Even with stabil, the fuel looses its ability to burn and to prevent knock pretty quickly, especially with ethanol in it. I'd find someone to suck it out.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:56 PM   #3

Stabil says it lasts up to one year, it will not restore stale gas though. Simply pouring in more will not mix it with the tank contents. I think your fuel will be OK, if you go for a drive add SeaFoam gas treatment first, it is compatible with Stabil and prevents gum and varnish formation.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Got a gas car... fill it up a couple times and then go get some high test...non ethanol if possible.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:21 PM   #5

EDIT Ivylog was typing same time as me.Can you siphon or pump out of tank through filler? To start siphon we used to create a plug with rag use second hose pressurized tank just enough to start siphon 1 psi will lift approx 24". Add 5-10 gals to each tank in your autos to use it up and refill with fresh when you get it low. Lucas and Stabil have ethanol formulas .
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:22 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club

I'd suggest you watch this video. While it doesn't cover fuel with Stabil, it does talk about how ethanolated gasoline ages (badly)
Old 09-30-2020, 07:45 PM   #7

My reading at the Sta-Bil site says that "Sta-Bil Storage" will keep the gas fresh for up to 2 years >>>https://www.goldeagle.com/product/st...el-stabilizer/

Read their FAQs at the bottom of the page.

FWIW, this spring I started up a 350 Chev Blazer that had been sitting for 9 years with a full tank of Sta-Bil treated gas. It started and ran. I eventually pulled the old gas out, mixed it 50/50 with new gas and used it in my lawn tractor this summer.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:34 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I filled my 75 gallon tank back in November too.

Just started using it this past week as all of our trips were cancelled due to Covid.

We went 150 miles a couple days ago and the engine ran fine.

You'll be OK.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:09 PM   #9

IMO You can expect a few MPG less but it should run OK and refill at 3/4 tank and again at 1/2 tank.
I did the above with 3 year old gas added 2 Sea Foam went from 6mpg back to normal 8MPG on 4th day of trip around 750 to 800 miles.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:23 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
The engine might start after a couple years but isnt the problem going to be that the old gas would muck up the carburetor? At 8-10 mpg, can you drive it to the store or other trips to use some of that old gas? If not, at the very least, Id drain it at least half tank and put fresh gas in it.
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:24 PM   #11

When I bought our motorhome it had been sitting for 5 years with no Stabil. I added stabil to it and topped off the tank with fresh fuel. It had about half a tank. It ran fine and topped it off again at half a tank. We took it on a 3000 mile adventure and had no issues. Of course when I bought it I pmed the rig front to back and bought new tires and batteries. But the 5 year old fuel ran fine and even passed smog. By the way, I smelled the old gas and it had no varnish smell to it.

On your rig I would add more Stabil and be done.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:10 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 1970 Plymouth set for 5 years with the same fuel in the tank. This summer I put new tires on it and drove the car using the 5 year old fuel without problems.

It is easy to get paranoid about fuel spoilage. In a sealed system like the OP's motorhome less evaporation takes place extending the time the fuel can be used.

Time degrades gasoline but it does not render it useless. If I were the OP I wouldn't worry about it. Before he takes his first trip pour a couple bottles of injector cleaner in the tank and drive away.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:44 AM   #13
US1

Whenever I pull a vehicle out of storage after an extended time, I will always top off the tank with premium to jump start the octane. If the tank was originally near full, I’d then retop it off again once it got down to 3/4 just to dilute the old gas even more. And don’t run the motor hard with the old fuel till it’s been diluted by a large amount
Old 10-01-2020, 07:57 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
isnt the problem going to be that the old gas would muck up the carburetor?
What carburetor? Unless its quite old, the RV engine doesn't have one (it's fuel injected), but maybe the genset?

Whether injected or car bureted, larger gas engines aren't very susceptible to fuel deterioration, but very small gas engines with tiny carburetors are. Large engines may see a bit lower performance. The more likely problem with gas that sits in the fuel tank for a year or two is contamination from water condensation (use some dry gas) or whatever residual might be in the tank itself.

Personally, I'd just use the tank of fuel like any other. In the unlikely event that it causes a problem, deal with it then.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas