Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2021, 04:39 PM   #15

It's an age old question with no solution because it all comes down to aerodynamics - trying to push a box down the road against the atmosphere. If you want to get a real feel for the forces involved, try to carry a sheet of plywood on a windy day. Now imagine a wall the size of four sheets of plywood trying to go against 60mph wind. That's the whole reason slowing down is the only way. Now make those sheets of plywood weight thousands of pounds, and add friction and drag.

To make any improvement you need to make the Rv more slippery - which means changing it's shape. A box, is a box, is a box. You'll see some semis that are using some tricks that help a little. A tapered nose and faring above the cab, panels along the lower side of the trailer to guide air along the outside of the rig reducing turbulence underneath, and a tapered tail to reduce drag. Even with those modifications, it takes many miles of driving for it to pay off. You could make a custom ground effects package for your RV but you'd never drive enough miles to even come close to recovering you money.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2021, 06:33 PM   #16

Your mpg is common on a ford gasser class A. I pulled a 2800 toad and got about 7-8 mpg with same cruising speed.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
Is this a joke question.
Nope just seeing if anyone has broke the 7 mpg code on the V-10 motorhome..

jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
From an automotive engineer:
1. Never over 60, except steep downhills.
2. Hold your right foot steady
3. Just a little more gas uphill.
4. Gain speed back going down hill.
5. Anticipate going uphills by gaining a "little" speed.
6. Downshift before losing too much speed up hill.
7. Never use cruise control except very flat roads.
By the way he worked for GM and Ford. He was my father.
And has saved me thousands doing these. Most get 6-7 mpg, I get 9.
I might try 60 mph and see what a difference it makes, I do most of the other things you mention, I would be happy at 8 mpg..
Old 01-04-2021, 07:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
From an automotive engineer:
1. Never over 60, except steep downhills.
2. Hold your right foot steady
3. Just a little more gas uphill.
4. Gain speed back going down hill.
5. Anticipate going uphills by gaining a "little" speed.
6. Downshift before losing too much speed up hill.
7. Never use cruise control except very flat roads.
By the way he worked for GM and Ford. He was my father.
And has saved me thousands doing these. Most get 6-7 mpg, I get 9.
What’s your time worth? If driving 10 mph faster gets you there 1-2 hours earlier for the day, is It worth $50 in gas to you?

For many, it is...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Proper inflation tires. Engine should be running at full operating temp. Clean air filter and MAF sensor. Have engine scanned where they can see O2 sensors voltage/waveform graphed to make sure they are good. You can get tail pipe sniffed / analyzed . Test fuel pressure.
I keep my V-10 running excellence at all times, replaced exhaust sensors and MAF sensors about 2 years ago with Ford motorcraft sensors and my K&N filter is always clean, I have a scan gauge running all the time while driving and it runs air/fuel mixture perfect all the time, tire inflation is at 80 psi front and 84 psi back.
Old 01-04-2021, 07:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
#1-Put a great big vaccum gauge up on top of your dash and don't let it go lower than 4 inches!

#2-there is no real #2.
I remember the vacuum gauge from years ago, some used it and swore by it, might give that a try, where is the best place to read vacuum on the V-10..
Old 01-04-2021, 08:17 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
intake manifold.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:44 PM   #23

I agree, intake manifold.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 10:01 PM   #24

On longer trips across flat terrain we average 8.5 mpg at 65 mph. We normally leave home with full fresh water and fuel towing a Jeep Sahara Limited. I don't normally worry about mpg but our range between fill ups got my curiosity up.
bhammond1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
Was thinking has anyone have tricks or adding something to increase mpg on motor homes beside just driving slower, I maintain around 62 to 65 mph and can never get above 7 mpg not towing,

2008 33 foot Bounder V10
Since you have the scan gauge, get it to display instant fuel mileage. Then find a fairly flat highway and experiment setting cruise control at different speeds. Yes, the numbers will jump around, but you should be able to get an idea of which cruising speed works best. My bet is you can get that 8 mpg by simply slowing down a tad.

On our Workhorse, we average between 8 and 9 mpg pulling the boat. I have gotten over 10 a few times when keeping the speed at or below 60 on the highway. Of course there are a lot of variables (wind direction, temperature, elevation, gasoline quality, etc,,,) that make a difference.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:07 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You can spend money on gizmos, gadgets, and modifications, to get slight increases in MPG but you need to look at your ROI, (Return On Investment ).

You don't want to spend more then you save.
"People want economy... and they'll spend anything to get it..." Lee Iacocca
Old 01-05-2021, 08:17 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
If you're already driving around 62 or so there is no driving style that is going to get you 30-40 percent better gas mileage IMO. I do think the wind can help/hurt. The good news is that in the long run fuel isn't going to be a large part of your monthly budget. If it is a large part than you likely won't continue to have a MH.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:38 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
I might try 60 mph and see what a difference it makes, I do most of the other things you mention, I would be happy at 8 mpg..
It will never happen unless your entire route is downhill and a tailwind. I one time had the Ford V10 in a 2014 Sunova and I got no better than 6.8 mpg. All the gadgets in the world will do nothing except make your wallet lighter.