Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2021, 10:09 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
How to know if roads are okay for the RV

Another thread got me wondering how the rest of you determine if a road is okay to travel on with your rv. I love staying off the highways when possible and I tend to use google earth to see how the roads are but this can take quite a bit of time and not always accurate.

Is there a code to know if the road is a small and tight vs a two lane road? Small and tight meaning narrow, tree lined, no fun to drive in a big rv? I know that odd number highways go north and south, even go east west. Sure would like to increase my confidence and get off the highways whenever possible.

We are leaving KY tomorrow and headed to Florida. There is a stretch in Florida that I would like to be on but don't want to risk a pucker up situation. I think my worries are brought on by a horrible situation we got ourselves into when we first started rv'ing and don't want that again.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2021, 10:25 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
For road maps, check the "legend" in the little box in one of the corners of the map. The legend will show what color and/or line style that particular cartographer used to depict lanes vs roads vs avenues vs highways vs interstates, etc. Quite naturally, the bigger the road the fewer the problems but the inverse of that is "The bigger the road the fewer the interesting places."

Some GPS systems allow the user to define the type of vehicle and choice of road types, but that takes away all (well, a lot of) the fun of discovery as long as you aren't in a hurry and need fuel, but that's why we RV anyway, isn't it?

On the road again,
Frank
Old 05-08-2021, 10:29 AM   #3

Buy a motor carrier's road atlas, it has roads highlighted in yellow/orange that are safe for semi's. It also has a section for bridges and underpass's. It will not cover county roads, only state and national, you're on your own for county roads and smaller.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:13 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
The Garmin RV GPS routes you where you can comfortably go. That paired with a trucker’s atlas work for me.
Old 05-08-2021, 09:25 PM   #5

A large part depends on your comfort level. How long you have been driving and what type of driving you do.

I live in the country, on top of a mountain on a 2 lane county road with no shoulder, 20 miles from the nearest town. I have been driving this for 30 years and in a wide variety of vehicles.

You will not see any OTR semi trucks on this road. You will see log trucks, equipment delivery trucks, snow plows, freight delivery trucks etc.

With this in mind, it has to be a really bad road for me to worry about traveling. Of course that is unless my destination is along that road. I am about 70' long with my TV being a Volvo tractor.

How I decide is by how much of a "main" route is it? Would a log truck or delivery truck drive it? I look a google maps to help reference also. The big key is asking myself, what does this road offer that another option does not.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 03:54 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
A large part depends on your comfort level. How long you have been driving and what type of driving you do.

I live in the country, on top of a mountain on a 2 lane county road with no shoulder, 20 miles from the nearest town. I have been driving this for 30 years and in a wide variety of vehicles.

You will not see any OTR semi trucks on this road. You will see log trucks, equipment delivery trucks, snow plows, freight delivery trucks etc.

With this in mind, it has to be a really bad road for me to worry about traveling. Of course that is unless my destination is along that road. I am about 70' long with my TV being a Volvo tractor.

How I decide is by how much of a "main" route is it? Would a log truck or delivery truck drive it? I look a google maps to help reference also. The big key is asking myself, what does this road offer that another option does not.
The problem I have with that approach is that, in the hills & hollers, you may get miles down such a road only to find a spot with a low overpass that you could not predict. Now, because of the lay of the land you have to spend a bunch of time backtracking after figuring out how to turn your rig around.
Old 05-09-2021, 07:24 AM   #7

We travel the highways to a specific destination, park our rig, unhook the toad and explore upwards of a hundred miles. Much easier to explore and learn about things using a car.
homerbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:56 AM   #8

Of course every once in a while, even with the best of planning you get thrown a curve e ball. Not only did we experience what the sign indicated, but there was road construction narrowing the road down to one lane.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13% Grade Sign.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	327769  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug57 View Post
The problem I have with that approach is that, in the hills & hollers, you may get miles down such a road only to find a spot with a low overpass that you could not predict. Now, because of the lay of the land you have to spend a bunch of time backtracking after figuring out how to turn your rig around.
I am sure it will happen sometime. Has not happened yet.

When running a big rig, tall, long, heavy or all of the above you have to have a "what if" plan. If you are in a hurry, dont want to deal with "what if" or are not up for an adventure stick to highways.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:39 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Garmin for RVs and truckers road atlas work for us.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote