RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2016, 09:50 PM   #15

On the tires she. Sits furnace on low yea using some propane but fortunately there is a propane depot 10 miniutes away so not that big of a deal to fill the way it looks should get a month out of the tank so for 50 bucks keep it warm enough to be in it when we can my wife still doing her thing inside once we get Xmas out of the way. Thanks four .the info
Aphinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2016, 01:19 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
If it's going to sit on the tires for an extended amount of time, more that likely it's not loaded up with gear like it would be when you are traveling, therefore it's recommended to have your tire PSI at it's minimum. Go get your weighed, and set the PSI accordingly. I would also recommend buying a TPMS system.

I've attached a 1 doc, a link to tire care, a video link for you as a reference to learn a lot about tires & their care.

https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bc...s_Brochure.pdf

This is crazy. Tires do better in storage at their maximum.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:52 PM   #17

Holiday Rambler Owners Club

We leave ours on the tires year round but I do dump the air ( ours is leveled with air bags) and it rests on the bumpers. We do cover our tires covered.
sunset4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset4k View Post
We do cover our tires covered.
A good piece of advice, IMHO. One of the first things I did after getting new tires and alignment was go to Walmart and purchase tire covers. Our MH sits on the tires all the time with whatever pressure is in them (not flat, or even close). Before every trip I check the pressure and correct as necessary.

Also taking a short trip with a "new" RV before a longer one to iron out as many potential problems as possible would be a good idea, as mentioned.

Best of luck.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #19

You can leave it on the jacks or on the tires what ever you want.
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:14 PM   #20

If you park on dirt, I would put wood planks under the tires because of the freeze and thaw will move the rubber on the tires!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
gmann55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:29 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Wash/detail it then park it our enclosed warehouse/garage, connected to 50-AMP shore power, tires on heavy matts and hydraulic jacks down. May be overkill but that's my technique. Also have forced draft ventilation in the building which keeps the humidity in check.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:24 PM   #22

One thing I would recommend is getting stall mats for under the tires. They are very strong and durable. They keep the tires from sitting on wet moist dirt or gravel as well as what can be problematic about concrete. They also help keeping moisture down in key chassis elements like brake assemblies They are about $40 each...mine are 9 years old and like new. They are easy to use but they are heavy and can be hard for one person to move around. 4 ft. x 6 ft. x 3/4 in. Thick Rubber Stall Mat - For Life Out Here
Old 01-25-2017, 02:33 PM   #23
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadDad View Post
One thing I would recommend is getting stall mats for under the tires. They are very strong and durable. They keep the tires from sitting on wet moist dirt or gravel as well as what can be problematic about concrete. They also help keeping moisture down in key chassis elements like brake assemblies They are about $40 each...mine are 9 years old and like new. They are easy to use but they are heavy and can be hard for one person to move around. 4 ft. x 6 ft. x 3/4 in. Thick Rubber Stall Mat - For Life Out Here
I have used these and like them also. I have had them outside for a few years and they look brand new. They can be cut with some effort. The guys at Tractor Supply recommended cutting them with a sharp utility knife, making repeated shallow cuts over and over and over... Slow, tedious, but it works. They advised NOT to try a power tool, such as a table saw or circular saw. I believe it simply gums up the blade.

My new question is, since lining the entire area under the coach with stall mats would be very expensive, would it make sense to cover the ground with a heavy plastic first, add the stall mats at the tire locations, then drive the rig into place? This would definitely kill all vegetation under the coach, of course. But, you probably don't want it growing there anyway. And, it might be a better barrier against ground moisture? Of course, if rain water puddles on the plastic, then the purpose is defeated. What type of plastic sheeting would withstand the sun and other elements? Thoughts???
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:46 PM   #24

In regards to the stall mats, the large ones are $40. I got the half size and cut it to make pads for under the tires and jacks (when camping). The tire pads are on the concrete where I store the rv. Half size are $25 unless on sale for $20.
mdvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:56 PM   #25

I wonder if that black matting used for keeping weeds from growing in gardens would work better on ground? I used it under my gravel road and the matting allows for water to drain, while blocking sunlight and keeping weeds from growing up. They make a heavy duty one that is road width for commercial applications. Anyone have any experience with that?
An Charad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:02 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I use these, purchased via Amazon; 3/4" thick, dense rubber matts;

http://www.rubbercal.com/shark-tooth...floor-mat.html
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:16 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I store our motorhome on the jacks. It just makes common sense to me that removing some (most?) of the weight from the tires and suspension has to be a good thing.

You should also try and keep the batteries charged using a good maintenance charger. Your coach may have come with a good multistage charger but maybe not. If not, change it out or use an external charger. If you aren't in a location where you can keep power on the coach, make sure to disconnect your batteries when storing.

It probably goes without saying but you should store your coach with the slides retracted. I'm always amazed to see so many coaches in storage lots with one or more slides out!

Enjoy your new coach!
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a