Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2015, 07:37 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorPro View Post
The part I find unbelievable is that someone thinks it is ok to drive a motorhome down a highway one handed with a camera in their face and talk about safety .
and doing 70 without holding the wheel
and the laws says you have to have 2 hands on the wheel???
some of us are more experienced than others

that motor home drives it self... unbelievable how stable

man I miss that motorhome...

here hold my beer... watch this
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2015, 08:06 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolor View Post
Thanks for all the input.

To resume what's been said about MH in general AND about my 26HE in particular:

- It is futile to try to re-balance the rig by shifting weight to the front axel.
- The chassis is not stable as it is, even with the OEM front tracbar and swaybar
- Air spings / Sumo springs would increase stability (in my opinion, it adds firmess to the ride but most likely reduce seat comfort... unless shocks and springs are replaced by softer ones)

So here's my plan:

- It is imperative to find the best compromise for tire pressure, starting high and decreasing by 5psi steps down to where I find most confort without sacrifying stability and security
- I will do the McKinley Cheap Handling Fix, in front first
- I have to find the most suitable shocks for MY rig. Problem is, the more information I gather, the more confused I get
I just read through this entire thread, and I gotta admit, I don't think I have ever read/watched anything scarier!

I will not address all the things that are just plain wrong, but will say WEIGH IT! WEIGH IT! WEIGH IT! While technically your gathering "information" what you are really doing is gathering subjective OPINIONS, that don't appear to be based on sound principles or reasoning!

Adjusting tire pressure below manufacturer recommendations (based on actual weight) to alter/improve ride, is not only foolish beyond comprehension, it is reckless and totally irresponsible.

If, perhaps, I have misunderstood what some posters suggest, or didn't understand they were joking and not serious, well, then . . . I apologize! But at the very least, get the thing weighed and adjust tire pressures according to manufacturers guidelines before you do anything else!
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:15 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post
I just read through this entire thread, and I gotta admit, I don't think I have ever read/watched anything scarier!

I will not address all the things that are just plain wrong, but will say WEIGH IT! WEIGH IT! WEIGH IT! While technically your gathering "information" what you are really doing is gathering subjective OPINIONS, that don't appear to be based on sound principles or reasoning!

Adjusting tire pressure below manufacturer recommendations (based on actual weight) to alter/improve ride, is not only foolish beyond comprehension, it is reckless and totally irresponsible.

If, perhaps, I have misunderstood what some posters suggest, or didn't understand they were joking and not serious, well, then . . . I apologize! But at the very least, get the thing weighed and adjust tire pressures according to manufacturers guidelines before you do anything else!
thank you...
Old 02-25-2015, 09:16 AM   #46

I have a Vista 27N, similar short wheel base. Weighed it loaded and set the tire pressure, which turned out to be the same 82 lbs as on the Winnebago placard. I had the same problem with a harsh ride and getting pushed around by passing semi's. Did the CHF which helped with the push-pull but made the ride even harsher. Changed the factory blue & yellow Bilsteins to Monroe RV Magnums. Really smoothed out the ride. It's a pleasure to drive now.

Side Note: I changed the valve stems to metal "dually valves and added tire pressure and temp sensors. The tire shop inflated the fronts to 90 lbs and rears to 100. Talk about a hard ride; it wandered all over the road, followed every rut and bump and bounced sideways on grooved pavement. That 20 miles to the storage yard was the worse I have ever driven. It's unbelievable what a difference tire pressure makes.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:17 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
I ve had your motor home... just putting the sumos on front will fix the problem...sumos work better than air bags because of the up travel resistance.. so they stop body roll...
I took the time to try different shocks... I even ran with out them ... with just the sumo's ... the sumos make a softer ride...lessen the fatigue of driving...
Very interesting... Can I PM you to have direct information about your 26HE?
Tricolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:35 AM   #48

[QUOTE=Finally Time;2440744]I have a Vista 27N, similar short wheel base. Weighed it loaded and set the tire pressure, which turned out to be the same 82 lbs as on the Winnebago placard. I had the same problem with a harsh ride and getting pushed around by passing semi's. Did the CHF which helped with the push-pull but mad the ride even harsher. Changed the factory blue & yellow Bilsteins to Monroe RV Magniums. Really smoothed out the ride.QUOTE]

Very pertinent comment, although your heavier MH with the 3 slide-out is mounted on a 20" longer chassis.... not a big deal!

So the smoother Monroe Magnum really helped? I figured it would, for the fact that Ford uses the same Bilstein all across from 16k chassis up to the 26k chassis, the 16k being at the low end.

Can you give me the precise model number of these Monroe?
Old 02-25-2015, 09:55 AM   #49

My invoice just says "Monroe RV Magnum." I just left a phone message for the suspension shop asking for the model number. When/if they call back I'll post it.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:46 AM   #50

Got a call back from the shop. He said there are many lengths, diameters and bolt patterns for the shocks; what fits one might not fit another. To get the right ones they took the numbers off the factory Bilsteins and cross referenced them to Monroe's models. He said if you are shopping around ask for "Monroe RV Magnum" and give them motor home model and chassis. Good luck.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:08 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally Time View Post
they took the numbers off the factory Bilsteins and cross referenced them to Monroe's models. He said if you are shopping around ask for "Monroe RV Magnum" and give them motor home model and chassis. Good luck.
Thanks. Did you do any other modifications? Are you fully satisfied with comfort & handling ?
Old 02-25-2015, 11:26 AM   #52

I am very satisfied with the ride and handling. The only things I did for the ride and handling were adjusting the tire pressure, the CHF, and the Monroe shocks. It was uncomfortable, but manageable, before I did those things, but I used to finish a day's driving feeling like I had been beaten. Now I'm pretty relaxed at the end of the day.

I made other modifications for comfort and convenience inside and added a built-in Progressive Surge protector.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:58 AM   #53

Triple E Owners Club
Monroe part number for ford f53 front is 557001
Old 02-25-2015, 12:15 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally Time View Post
Did the CHF which helped with the push-pull but made the ride even harsher.
I read the whole tread about the CHF and I don't recall anyone reporting that it consequently made the ride harder... although it's obvious that it would.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion. It makes sense that if you stiffen one the suspension component (such as the CHF), you have to equilibrate by softening another component in order to keep the ride bearable.

In the case of our rigs, softer shocks is an inexpensive solution after the CHF.

At a much higher cost, the Kilderman Air Ride does exactly that: They add air ballon but reduce spring rate and use softer shocks (Munroe Magnum, I beleive)
Old 02-25-2015, 12:24 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodK View Post
Monroe part number for ford f53 front is 557001
Super

Amazone has them for under $60 right now!

I might go that route. No rush, the rig is winterized. That leaves me more time to consider all avenues.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:28 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolor View Post
Very interesting... Can I PM you to have direct information about your 26HE?
yes

Tags
weight, tow