RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2020, 12:43 AM   #1

How to properly drive a Ford 460 7.5L? Please advice

Hi

There may have been a thread about this somewhere but I can’t seem to find it. I’m new to motorhome. Can someone tell me how properly drive a Ford 460 7.5 (E40D transmission) when going through hills and when to turn off over-drive, or when I need down shift to 2nd with or without over-drive? I was going through the Rockies and I think my rig was struggling and it maybe because of my driving.

2nd is

This 1996 Winnebago vectra grand tour (43k miles) that I just bought from the original owner and it is in literally like new condition, no signs of age at all on the interior. Very lil wear and aging slightly on the exterior. The previous owner had put brand new stuff (hoses, belts, radiator, exhaust system). He also had AAMCO rebuilt the transmission in 2018 but the tranny is now broken and I’m rebuilding it again with AAMCO with the promise of a extended warranty at no additional cost (plus I have no choice because AAMCO is the only place near by when we got stranded). I made it through the Rockies just fine. The next day we take the rig going around Denver for couple hours just fine as well. And then while taking my family (8 adults + 8 kids) going slowly through “Garden of Gods”, I notice the over-drive flashing after I downshift to 1 gear when going downhill. Then I completely stall (doesn’t move when I gas) and we got stranded.

Can someone tell me if driving through the Rockies had cause transmission failure the next day or it’s something that got into the transmission within the hours or minutes that it break down? (I’m sorry if it’s a stupid question because I don’t know a lot about car in general)

And the last question is should I keep the rig? or the engine/tranny and it’s built will most likely break again? Does anyone have any experience with this chassis about its reliability? Or was the last transmission rebuilt just a bad job?
My family had a true nightmare and stressed out trip but the rig is so nice and clean inside I don’t want to get rid. But if someone has some first hand experience with the engine issue I would definitely sell it to upgrade to a diesel.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2CBEFE04-5B79-45F4-A341-96C5D5BDB29F.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	304886   Click image for larger version

Name:	B18FC887-478E-408B-84C6-D705D637200D.jpeg
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	304887  

Click image for larger version

Name:	283F643A-30CF-4053-B1FF-545284659A3B.jpeg
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	304888   Click image for larger version

Name:	0557CB5B-E409-4FAF-B2AA-65B42800302F.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	304889  

Evugrandtour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2020, 08:22 AM   #2

Starting with the overdrive. If you leave it on and the speed drops, it will floor the throttle attempting to get back to the previously set speed, make a lot of noise, drink gas, and likely never resume the speed (unless on a very slight grade). For the other gears, do you have a tachometer?. If so, manually shifting to a lower gear to keep the engine at it's torque peak is generally accepted. Otherwise the transmission will downshift by itself. However, I don't think it's a good idea to stay at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) if the coach won't stay at the speed you want. sometimes you just have to slow down.... which you should be doing going downhill anyway. Downshifting to slow on downhills is the correct technique but, without the newer transmissions, you may still have to use the brakes. This is best done by NOT just riding the brakes, rather strongly braking, pausing for a while, then braking again.

Just my quickly written thoughts. Your coach looks great and is definitely worth keeping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evugrandtour View Post
Hi

There may have been a thread about this somewhere but I canít seem to find it. Iím new to motorhome. Can someone tell me how properly drive a Ford 460 7.5 (E40D transmission) when going through hills and when to turn off over-drive, or when I need down shift to 2nd with or without over-drive? I was going through the Rockies and I think my rig was struggling and it maybe because of my driving.

2nd is

This 1996 Winnebago vectra grand tour (43k miles) that I just bought from the original owner and it is in literally like new condition, no signs of age at all on the interior. Very lil wear and aging slightly on the exterior. The previous owner had put brand new stuff (hoses, belts, radiator, exhaust system). He also had AAMCO rebuilt the transmission in 2018 but the tranny is now broken and Iím rebuilding it again with AAMCO with the promise of a extended warranty at no additional cost (plus I have no choice because AAMCO is the only place near by when we got stranded). I made it through the Rockies just fine. The next day we take the rig going around Denver for couple hours just fine as well. And then while taking my family (8 adults + 8 kids) going slowly through ďGarden of GodsĒ, I notice the over-drive flashing after I downshift to 1 gear when going downhill. Then I completely stall (doesnít move when I gas) and we got stranded.

Can someone tell me if driving through the Rockies had cause transmission failure the next day or itís something that got into the transmission within the hours or minutes that it break down? (Iím sorry if itís a stupid question because I donít know a lot about car in general)

And the last question is should I keep the rig? or the engine/tranny and itís built will most likely break again? Does anyone have any experience with this chassis about its reliability? Or was the last transmission rebuilt just a bad job?
My family had a true nightmare and stressed out trip but the rig is so nice and clean inside I donít want to get rid. But if someone has some first hand experience with the engine issue I would definitely sell it to upgrade to a diesel.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:41 AM   #3

how fast were you going when you dropped into first gear? going downhill too?
wow your sure asking alot of that transmission
jeanluc001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanluc001 View Post
how fast were you going when you dropped into first gear? going downhill too?
wow your sure asking alot of that transmission
I was going 25-30mph when shifting to first gear because a steep hill (but short) ahead, and I was not very confident on my break (lost 1 tag axle break the previous day).
Old 10-16-2020, 09:11 AM   #5

Watching
Chevelle427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Starting with the overdrive. If you leave it on and the speed drops, it will floor the throttle attempting to get back to the previously set speed, make a lot of noise, drink gas, and likely never resume the speed (unless on a very slight grade). For the other gears, do you have a tachometer?. If so, manually shifting to a lower gear to keep the engine at it's torque peak is generally accepted. Otherwise the transmission will downshift by itself. However, I don't think it's a good idea to stay at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) if the coach won't stay at the speed you want. sometimes you just have to slow down.... which you should be doing going downhill anyway. Downshifting to slow on downhills is the correct technique but, without the newer transmissions, you may still have to use the brakes. This is best done by NOT just riding the brakes, rather strongly braking, pausing for a while, then braking again.

Just my quickly written thoughts. Your coach looks great and is definitely worth keeping.
Thank you. I do have a tachometer (rpm meter). Iím okay without downhill but on uphill, sometimes I see the RV screaming but barely moving and it doesnít make a lot of sense. So with long steep uphill, best to turn off over-drive and shift to 2nd gear right when the speed drop?

Also, is it normal that the gear feel super smooth/light when shifting? I never see a hear shifting so easy like I can literally move it with 1 finger tap. I never by itself slipped hear though.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle427 View Post
watching
??? 🤓
Old 10-16-2020, 09:22 AM   #8

Watching to learn
Chevelle427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:31 AM   #9

I don't own, nor have I probably ever driven this model, but a few thoughts.

First, read the manual! My lowly Colorado manual has a lot of information on how the transmission operates in different conditions and settings.

Second, I would strongly suspect that all "overdrive" does is allow the transmission to shift into overdrive rather than putting the transmission into overdrive whatever the conditions. Thus it's probably not a problem going up hills, but would possibly be a problem going down hills where you're going to want engine compression braking.

Third, if there's a tow/haul mode, use it going up or down significant hills, if not all the time. (As an aside I would wonder what the manual says about overdrive and tow/haul at the same time--it may be the latter locks out the former.)

Finally I agree with the comment above about using brakes hard for short periods as opposed to riding the brakes.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:47 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The E4OD transmission is not the strongest one, but is a decent transmission. We had an E4OD in a large class C and also a diesel truck. In both cases, I added a large stacked plate external transmission cooler. Heat will kill any transmission. I also ran Mobil One synthetic transmission fluid in them. Oil changes are a must for them. A full oil change every 25000 to 30,000 miles, not just an oil pan change.

You are pulling a lot of weight with that engine and transmission. Anytime we were in rolling hills, I locked out OD. Take it off cruise control and manually downshift and keep the RPMS up for up hill runs. You won't win any races getting to the top.

On downhill runs, gear down BEFORE you start down and stab use your brakes as needed to keep the speed down to reasonable levels.

I would not go with a AMMCO rebuild. Check out a rebuild from BTS or Brian's Truck Shop in Arkansas.
E4OD | 4R100 | 5R110 Ford Diesel Powerstroke Transmissions

They are well know for heavy duty rebuilds. They will ship to your shop for replacement and you send back a core for them to rebuild. I would suspect AMMCO used a standard basic/rebuild.

Ken
Old 10-16-2020, 01:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
The E4OD transmission is not the strongest one, but is a decent transmission. We had an E4OD in a large class C and also a diesel truck. In both cases, I added a large stacked plate external transmission cooler. Heat will kill any transmission. I also ran Mobil One synthetic transmission fluid in them. Oil changes are a must for them. A full oil change every 25000 to 30,000 miles, not just an oil pan change.

You are pulling a lot of weight with that engine and transmission. Anytime we were in rolling hills, I locked out OD. Take it off cruise control and manually downshift and keep the RPMS up for up hill runs. You won't win any races getting to the top.

On downhill runs, gear down BEFORE you start down and stab use your brakes as needed to keep the speed down to reasonable levels.

I would not go with a AMMCO rebuild. Check out a rebuild from BTS or Brian's Truck Shop in Arkansas.
E4OD | 4R100 | 5R110 Ford Diesel Powerstroke Transmissions

They are well know for heavy duty rebuilds. They will ship to your shop for replacement and you send back a core for them to rebuild. I would suspect AMMCO used a standard basic/rebuild.

Ken
So this is the shop Iím getting the trans rebuilt at (gardens of gods AAMCO) and they have 150 flying great reviews that I do not see anywhere else. Would you trust it? Because the RV transport from Colorado spring, CO to Lead Hill Arkansas (Brianís truck shop) will $3-4000 + his $5K trans and all together doesnít really make sense to me.

Or I could have AAMCO install it and they will charge me approximately $1500 or less to install. What would you choose?

I greatly appreciate everyoneís time and responses.

Link to AAMCO google review:

https://www.google.com/search?q=gard...trex_id:kCEBEe
Old 10-16-2020, 02:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I don't own, nor have I probably ever driven this model, but a few thoughts.

First, read the manual! My lowly Colorado manual has a lot of information on how the transmission operates in different conditions and settings.

Second, I would strongly suspect that all "overdrive" does is allow the transmission to shift into overdrive rather than putting the transmission into overdrive whatever the conditions. Thus it's probably not a problem going up hills, but would possibly be a problem going down hills where you're going to want engine compression braking.

Third, if there's a tow/haul mode, use it going up or down significant hills, if not all the time. (As an aside I would wonder what the manual says about overdrive and tow/haul at the same time--it may be the latter locks out the former.)

Finally I agree with the comment above about using brakes hard for short periods as opposed to riding the brakes.
I donít have tow/haul mode. And when going into Denver Colorado, the over-drive wasnít giving it enough power cuz the hill was too long. And going downhill I think I did just what you guys mentioned.

Thankssss
Old 10-16-2020, 02:58 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
FYI, I have the same set-up as you. Regarding OD, I always disengage OD when approaching hills/inclines and only use OD on long, straight-n-level cruising. While moving uphill, I try to maintain 3500 rpm which is max. HP, as the engine slows to 2500 rpm I manually shift from 3rd, 2nd trying to maintain 3500 engine rpm. The actual speed you are travelling will be whatever it is. The slow lane will be your friend.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evugrandtour View Post
Hi

.... The next day we take the rig going around Denver for couple hours just fine as well. And then while taking my family (8 adults + 8 kids) going slowly through ďGarden of GodsĒ, I notice the over-drive flashing after I downshift to 1 gear when going downhill. Then I completely stall (doesnít move when I gas) and we got stranded.

Are you over weight? 8 adults at 175# is 1400# and 8 kids at 100# is 800# for a total 2200# for just the people not including the gear and food. Have to had the coach weighed ready to travel with everyone on board to make sure you are not over the GVWR?

Tags
advice, ford